320 CDI excessive soot buildup.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Try here, Ìîäåëü

Enter your chassis number, and on the second screen on the top right hand corner there is a link to your datacard with the factory fitted options.

DPF's not being fitted are generally considered to be a good thing as they are something (and a very expensive something) less to go wrong.

Sometimes this site doesn't recognise the newer cars and has been said to contain inaccuracies, but it's well worth a go.

I thought all OM642s (i.e. from 2005) had DPFs.

Nope, it was an option that thankfully very few ticked on the 211 320cdi/280cdi series.

The 642 engine is EU4 compliant without a DPF. The engine in my car produces 221bhp.

When the 642 engine was later badged 350cdi it became EU5 complaint, more powerful and fitted with a DPF.

This engine was further upgraded to 265bhp (from 231bhp in the original EU5 350cdis's) with a lower compression ratio and a higher turbo boost pressure.

I thought a DPF stiffles the engine, makes it more uneconomical and if not driven hard once a month or so packs in and presents you with a £00s bill. Some firms will remove them for you and remap ecu accordingly.

No, I have covered about 650 miles in just over 2 weeks, some around town but mostly on motorways.

David

Perhaps you're driving it too gently?

"They" say you should open them up now again, ideally while the engine is under load. But it's a bit tricky with a fairly powerful diesel auto -they don't notice 'load' and just take off!

If I drive gently across country to the motorway, and then open mine up while going up the longish slip road, it'll produce noticeable smoke in the cutting for the slip road. But I wouldn't say I get soot settling on the back of the car.

DPF's are generally bad news, especially the type that need to re-generate themseves.

Perhaps a few bottles of Millers Diesel Power Plus would clean it up, and might even help with the iffy starting.?

Dr
Perhaps you're driving it too gently?

"They" say you should open them up now again, ideally while the engine is under load. But it's a bit tricky with a fairly powerful diesel auto -they don't notice 'load' and just take off!

If I drive gently across country to the motorway, and then open mine up while going up the longish slip road, it'll produce noticeable smoke in the cutting for the slip road. But I wouldn't say I get soot settling on the back of the car.

DPF's are generally bad news, especially the type that need to re-generate themseves.

Perhaps a few bottles of Millers Diesel Power Plus would clean it up, and might even help with the iffy starting.?

I do drive gently at the moment whilst I am getting used the the fuel economy, averaging 27mpg at the moment which is a lot less than the 42mpg that my previous car gave me. I've only had the ML since beginning of September so the economy is still a bit scary.

David

Well if MB Milton Keynes are correct then no they don't. Is there any way to tell by looking at the vehicle?

My 280 CDI is an '09 reg and it doesn't have a DPF (think it was built in '08 though). I was quite specific about that when I bought it as I wouldn't have taken it if it had a DPF.

I think it's only the latest EU5 spec diesels which must have DPFs.

Nope, it was an option that thankfully very few ticked on the 211 320cdi/280cdi series.

The 642 engine is EU4 compliant without a DPF. The engine in my car produces 221bhp.

When the 642 engine was later badged 350cdi it became EU5 complaint, more powerful and fitted with a DPF.

Thanks, chaps. You learn something every day. I thought DPFs were for the EU4 regulations...

David - I hope you get it sorted. Maybe taking it out for a fairly long run (to get it properly warmed up) and then a good ragging for 10 mins or so will 'clear the pipes out'.

Thanks, chaps. You learn something every day. I thought DPFs were for the EU4 regulations...

I think the om648 straight 6 320cdi needs a DPF to achieve eu4. My '03 one does not have it and is eu3.

Adam

Interesting. My OM648 is one of the last - March 2005 - and it does not have a DPF. In fact, I didn't realise that DPF was available for pre-V6s.

It was optional on the 4cyl models around that time as it dropped the the BIK tax rate for company cars. Very few had them fitted though.

I thought there was always a warning sticker under the bonnet if a DPF is fitted as you need to use low ash oil - the MB229.x1 stuff (the 1 being for low ash)?

Thanks to everyone for replying. I have a 300 mile motorway journey tomorrow and will give the ML a good run.

David

Yep it all ties up with my 2009 CLK 320CDi. The dealer says it does not have a DPF.

In my local drinking den all the diesel old boys are tearing their hair out about DPFs and the consensus is that if you're a lower milage driver, for heavens sake get a petrol car next time.

So a good thing not to have one so far as your own little world goes. In the bigger picture the DPF owners will pay out to keep the rest of us particle free.

David how did the ML smoke / soot build up end up ? You mentioned a long run you was going to do - did it clear ?
I have exactly the same symptoms (in fact I wondered if it was your car ;-) ) -
Black 58 plate ML320 CDI Sport - no DPF fitted too much soot and does cover the bumper after a run ... seems wrong to me -

Try here, Ìîäåëü

Enter your chassis number, and on the second screen on the top right hand corner there is a link to your datacard with the factory fitted options.

DPF's not being fitted are generally considered to be a good thing as they are something (and a very expensive something) less to go wrong.

This is my data card no ref to dpf? I assume/hope i don't have one! I too get excessive black smoke and soot handy if ders some c**k in a convert-able on my back bumper he he!

but seriously have da less than car 2 months now its getting on my nerves! tried heeps of injector cleaner in the diesel, changed air filter, de-greased ERG valve 3 days ago. any other ideas?

no problem starting, happens mostly with hot engine, after say 1/2 idling for ten min full throttle leaves a plum of smoke & soot

Название val
fin
vin WDB************
whc WDB
chassbm 211006
chass_ident 2A124552
type 211
subbm1 006
subbm2
auxiliary_drive
body
body_code
delivery_date 020906
engine 646************
front_axle1
front_axle2 AL121120750448
heater
interior 838A
lights
model_idx 0
odometer
order_num1 0253749060
paint1 197U
paint2
paint3
paint4
paint5
platform
production_num1 8123409
production_order_ref N
rear_axle1
rear_axle2
release_date 020906
retarder 8 020906
rims
service_num
steering
trailer
transfer_case
transmission 722699 03 951370
vin_dc
vinwhc
winch
wiper
Code Текст
M22 DISPLACEMENT 2.2 LITER
249 AUTOMATICALLY DIPPING INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR
280 LEATHER STEERING WHEEL AND LEATHER GEAR SHIFT KNOB
423 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
543 SUN VISOR WITH MAKE-UP MIRROR L. AND R., BE-
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
613 LAMP UNIT - ASSYMETRICAL, LH TRAFFIC
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
690 Unknown
803 AEJ 06/1/M/X
819 CD CHANGER
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD/TOWING PROTECTION
910 DYNAMO WITH HIGHER CAPACITY (FFO)
955 EQUIPMENT PACKAGE ELEGANCE
984 COC DOC., DELETION OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOC.
989 Unknown
830A Unknown
205B OWNERS MANUAL AND SERVICE RECORD - ENGLISH
221B INFO PLATE, COOLANT - ENGLISH
236B WITHOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE - STATION INDEX
5XXL EUROPE
537L GREAT BRITAIN
197U OBSIDIAN BLACK - METALLIC PAINT
838A Unknown

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom