320 cdi turbo crisis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fits various but depends on vin number and turbo number. generally for the 320 cdi 648 engine.

.........and yours is the 642 engine?

Quick update. Looks like I have a way forward. ECU testing will repair the actuator for around £300, which is a much cheaper option than a new turbo, and comes with 2 year guarantee. Drawback is the timescale, which looks to be around 7-10 days altogether. However, garage have very kindly offered to store my CLK for that period, and lend me an A-class. A lot less painful that I originally thought.

Quick update. Looks like I have a way forward. ECU testing will repair the actuator for around £300, which is a much cheaper option than a new turbo, and comes with 2 year guarantee. Drawback is the timescale, which looks to be around 7-10 days altogether. However, garage have very kindly offered to store my CLK for that period, and lend me an A-class. A lot less painful that I originally thought.

How does that work?

Do they uplift your car and repair the accuator, or do you arrange the actuator to be sent to them for repair, they send it back and you arrange fitting?

What goes wrong with these actuators?

I've had a look inside mine....do the plastic gears break?

Thanks

Adam

You remove the part to be repaired and send it to them.

As Dieselman says. In my case, the car was at my local indie garage anyway, so they have removed the actuator and sent it off for me, and will fit it when it comes back. The only problem is you cannot use the car with this removed, but they have been good enough to lend me a car for this period.

Did this fix your problem?

Mine is throwing out turbo actuator faults in Star. Doesn't do it when fully up to temp, only when cold-ish or has been driven and parked for a while. Feels awful when it does it, very kangaroo style!

Wondering if to remove the actuator myself and have ecutesting.com mend it.

Thanks folks. Not good news. I think in my 13 years of Mercedes ownership this is the first time I have had a major component fail, and certainly the only time something like this has happened at relatively low mileage: 52k on the clock. Not very impressed:(

Its not a major component, its a very expensive wear and tear component, as usual with MB

You can get repaired units or find a secondhand one, the 2 things that can go wrong are damaged worm gear or faulty pcb in the actuator, most faults are worm gears, these can be swapped out with your original pcb left inside so re-calibrations not a problem.

1. Unhook the vnt arm from the actuator and make sure it moves approx 10-12 mm with no notchy/catching feel to it.

If ok

2. Remove and open the actuator and look for damage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom