320 cdi turbo crisis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
My CLK 320cdi has been playing up for a while with an intermittent loss of power when accelerating. Put it in to the garage today to get it checked out, and just got got the verdict. It appears to be the actuator motor on the turbo which is failing. Not sure what that is exactly, but the garage have phoned around and have so far been told that you cannot get this component separately, which means a new turbo:eek: £1500 + VAT.

So does anybody know whether you can get one of these motors without replacing the whole turbo? If not, is there somewhere I could source a turbo cheaper than this?

No you cannot and its a common problem... BUT you can get the turbos a lot cheaper than that from Euro Car Parts... but only buy a brand new garret turbo.

No discount on turbos. The exclusion list is massive on that promo...

A seperate fault. It is the actuator motor that sits on the side of the turbo that goes tit$ up

No you cannot and its a common problem... BUT you can get the turbos a lot cheaper than that from Euro Car Parts... but only buy a brand new garret turbo.

"Common problem" :wallbash: Pitty there wasn't a published common faults alert, listed by manufacture and model.:)

If for no other reason than to "let the buyer beware" pius would help to concentrate manufactures minds, vis a vis sales, etc. :D

Rant over :)

Is this a problem common to both the 3.2 and 3 litre engines?

Thanks folks. Not good news. I think in my 13 years of Mercedes ownership this is the first time I have had a major component fail, and certainly the only time something like this has happened at relatively low mileage: 52k on the clock. Not very impressed:(

I have had the same issue with my V221. Flabbergasted that this has happened to a new model. I had it reconditioned from Essex turbo's for £600. However it is undergoing diagnostics to see if they have done a good job. Good luck.

That sounds promising. Will contact them tomorrow to see if I can get a quote.

Thank you.

Essex turbos have repaired many many turbos for me. Never had any problems or issues afterwards!!!

Essex turbos have repaired many many turbos for me. Never had any problems or issues afterwards!!!

Thats great to hear! :). It was still giving out white smoke once re-fitted, ET said that its the excess oil. But a diagnositic from Merc revealed a blocked fuel injector, and they also said the turbo needs replacing which I sincerely hope not. I hope I can get this sorted without a new turbo or having to give it back to ET.

Last edited:
If you find you need to renew the impeller wheel I have a new genuine garrett one for your info, virtually impossible to buy from anywhere.
Of course, you will need to have it fitted and balanced, not just a plug and play item!!

They are a very professional outfit but I have had a few issues, they always try to blame us for not doing this or not doing that but we never seem to have issues with brand new turbos.

If you find you need to renew the impeller wheel I have a new genuine garrett one for your info, virtually impossible to buy from anywhere.
Of course, you will need to have it fitted and balanced, not just a plug and play item!!

For which vehicle?

They are a very professional outfit but I have had a few issues, they always try to blame us for not doing this or not doing that but we never seem to have issues with brand new turbos.

Did you ever use their warranty or get a refund?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom