320CDI 2005 - though engine size listed as 2987cc - Dodgy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Here is the auction listing at Auction Room | Letchworth Motor Auctions

MP55AVX MERCEDES E320 CDI AVANTGARDE AUTO - 2987cc 5dr Estate Oct 2005 (55) Green Diesel Auto Oct 2012 168,800 Warranted 11 X SERVICES TO 153,000 MILES, 7 SEATS, AIR-CON, ALLOYS, HALF LEATHER

A relative of mine is considering bidding though I am very very suspicious because of:
1. How can 2005 E320CDI be 2987cc?
2. HALF LEATHER - What is that? Someone done mods to it? What else have they modded?
3. MOT Oct 2012 - probably means it has no chance of passing.
4. Last 14k miles - no service. Dodgy. During 153k miles only 11 services rather then at least 15!!!

Did enter the reg in ECP and GFS to actually get the make a model - surprise surprise:

ECP lists it as Mercedes-Benz ( 2005)E Class 3.0
GFS as MERCEDES-BENZ E-CLASS Estate (S211) E 320 T CDI Diesel (03/05 - 12/08)

I did check Parker's and 320CDI should be 3222cc.

So what sort of pumpkin is this? Am I right in advising not to value it as not much more then scrap (200 pounds) plus the value of tyres if they are of good brand and not much worn (so perhaps 600 pounds) ?

No, it's correct, the V6 320cdi is a 3 litre. The straight six in the 211 was 3222, mine is a 3226, but I have a 210.

It reads all ok. Half leather was An option...leather and cloth mix. You need to do a little more research about MB...you are mostly wrong about this one.

Last edited:
They've listed the exact cubic capacity of the engine of the V6 CDi.

Also service intervals look fine so why assume dodgy?
MOT until Oct2012, what makes you think it will fail?

Service intervals are fine as well. It's mileage use dependant and 15K between services on a car doing motorway miles is very possible

MOT until Oct2012, what makes you think it will fail?

Well there is an MOT only station (no incentive to fail) in the area that charges just 40 pounds. Why would not a seller put it through if it could pass? Surely it would add at least couple of hundred to auction value it will get?

MP55AVX MERCEDES E320 CDI AVANTGARDE AUTO - 2987cc 5dr Estate Oct 2005 (55) Green Diesel Auto Oct 2012 168,800 Warranted 11 X SERVICES TO 153,000 MILES, 7 SEATS, AIR-CON, ALLOYS, HALF LEATHER

A relative of mine is considering bidding though I am very very suspicious because of:
1. How can 2005 E320CDI be 2987cc? As said, the V6 3.0 litre
2. HALF LEATHER - What is that? Someone done mods to it? What else have they modded? Standard spec.
3. MOT Oct 2012 - probably means it has no chance of passing. ???
4. Last 14k miles - no service. Dodgy. During 153k miles only 11 services rather then at least 15!!! 14,000 miles in between services is quite short for one of these.

?

tinfoil_hat.jpg

You sound a bit paranoid to be buying from auction, it's easy to over-think the reasons why the vendor is selling.

If its been a part exchange to a trader, he's hardly likely to stick an MOT on it for the new owner when all he wants is rid of it.

How much do you think is a safe bid on it? (i.e. recoverable even if it turns out to be very bad but within a reason)

What is the maximum bid? Parker's values Private Poor as 6.5k at 70k miles. So at least 1k off for high mileage, less 1/3 off as it is auction sale with extra risks: 3.6K ?

How much do you think is a safe bid on it? (i.e. recoverable even if it turns out to be very bad but within a reason)

What is the maximum bid? Parker's values Private Poor as 6.5k at 70k miles. So at least 1k off for high mileage, less 1/3 off as it is auction sale with extra risks: 3.6K ?

That's about right.

You sound a bit paranoid to be buying from auction, it's easy to over-think the reasons why the vendor is selling.

If its been a part exchange to a trader, he's hardly likely to stick an MOT on it for the new owner when all he wants is rid of it.

Well I presume traders are not in a business of throwing money out of a window either are they? Surely MOT costs will pay several times over when it comes to selling a car - assuming that it passes of cause.

Surely there must be reasons for auctioning. Putting a price sufficiently low (but still above auction price) can sell these cars quick if they are really in good condition. Like at 5k this one would be grabbed within days if trader allowed inspections / offered warranty. Would doubt it will get that much at an auction.

Well I presume traders are not in a business of throwing money out of a window either are they? Surely MOT costs will pay several times over when it comes to selling a car - assuming that it passes of cause.

Surely there must be reasons for auctioning. Putting a price sufficiently low (but still above auction price) can sell these cars quick if they are really in good condition. Like at 5k this one would be grabbed within days if trader allowed inspections / offered warranty. Would doubt it will get that much at an auction.

There is hardly a trader on this earth that will give a warranty on a car with 160k miles on.

He's very likely took it in part exchange for £3k and has set a reserve of £3.5k and will have made his money on the car that he sold against this part exchange.

Again, you're thinking far too much into this.

Hmm strange how he could get in in PX for 3k if Parker's gives PX value as 6.5k. OK mileage is 160 rather then Parker's 70k - so perhaps 5K.... but 3K....

In any case what is the exact date MB fixed their rust rot problems (and did they actually fix it)? Is this one expected to rust as W210 / early W211 or is this one more like proper old Mercedes?

Also how much are code readers for these cars (I heard from some it is tens of pounds, from others it is more then 1k) ? Would any major problems with Engine / Transmission show up as codes?

Hmm strange how he could get in in PX for 3k if Parker's gives PX value as 6.5k. OK mileage is 160 rather then Parker's 70k - so perhaps 5K.... but 3K....

In any case what is the exact date MB fixed their rust rot problems (and did they actually fix it)? Is this one expected to rust as W210 / early W211 or is this one more like proper old Mercedes?

Paint changed in 2005 I think. W211 much better than the W210 in case I think, although not perfect. Disregard Parkers figures - they are a load off bull and bear no resemblance to the market in my experience.

Also how much are code readers for these cars (I heard from some it is tens of pounds, from others it is more then 1k) ? Would any major problems with Engine / Transmission show up as codes?

You can buy a basic scanner that will read the OBDB error codes. The £1k will be for the Mercedes diagnostic tool which I would doubt very much that you need.

As others have said a trader or dealer (I suspect) will not spend time and effort on dealing with a car that they will not retail. They will simply price it knowing that they are going to chuck it at an auction.

Made enquiries.
Buy it now price is £4.8k. According to the auctioneers it is a trade in car. It has been auctioned before and allegedly reached £4,600 but the seller did not give in.
So my advice to the relative is to go and view it. If it does not reach the reserve this week as well approach the auctioneers and explain that he might well be prepared to pay £4,800 but at this price only if he is allowed to take for inspection / MOT before buying.

Also they said it had a recent service just now. So does not look like trader refusing to take £4.6k vs £4.8k and putting it through service is consistent with a desire for a minimal hussle quick sale... Yet no MOT...

What is members advice on this? After the initial mistakes am I giving correct advice for my relative (who never had Mercedes)?

Who did the recent service? The trader or the seller.

If selling it's the sort of thing that you would do, as otherwise you just get hit even harder on the p/ex. I doubt you can get it, but if you get V5 ref, you could check to see if it's had a recent MOT and failed.

ETA Sounds like strong money to me with the miles and short MOT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom