320CDi dipstick length.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
On an OM648 engine how far down into the sump goes the dipstick tube? I've gotten myself one of these vacuum pumps for oil change and need to know if the plastic lift pipe goes to, and stops at, the sump base or will it curl round and maybe miss some oil.

Ta. :D

On an OM648 engine how far down into the sump goes the dipstick tube? I've gotten myself one of these vacuum pumps for oil change and need to know if the plastic lift pipe goes to, and stops at, the sump base or will it curl round and maybe miss some oil.

Ta. :D

Hi my dipstick has a diamond ish shape on the end and iirc when I had my sump off and inserted dipstick just to see , the dipstick pokes out of the end of the tube and the diamond bit sits part of the box and doesn't actually reach the pan. Like I say iirc. Mines a 5 speed on a w202.

Push the sucker tube until it stops. This is the bottom of the sump.

Hi my dipstick has a diamond ish shape on the end and iirc when I had my sump off and inserted dipstick just to see , the dipstick pokes out of the end of the tube and the diamond bit sits part of the box and doesn't actually reach the pan. Like I say iirc. Mines a 5 speed on a w202.

Doh thought you meant gearbox.

As treble check on oil changes that we do.

1. measure the electronic oil level on the dash and make a note of the reading eg: 6.5l

1. With the vehicle on level ground, put the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise to position 1 (first position).

2. Use the leftmost menu button on the steering wheel (the icon looks like a page of text partly on top of a blank page).
Press this button slowly and repeatedly until the speedometer centre display shows 'Temp' (e.g +1.0 C) at the top.

3. Press the 'Reset' pushbutton on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster (just to the left of the clock) quickly 3 times.
The speedometer centre display should change to the engineering menu showing battery voltage 'UB' (e.g. UB: 12.2V).

4. Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE.
The speedometer centre display should change to show several rows of information. The bottom row should read, 'Oil level _._l'

5. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position).
Wait patiently for a few seconds and the _._ should change to show the exact volume of oil in litres (e.g. Oil level 6.55l).

6. Turn the ignition key anti-clockwise to position 0 (OFF) when you have finished taking the reading.

2. remove oil via vacuum device and evacuate the oil filter housing with vacuum then measure removed oil note any difference, if there is go to 3.
3. remove sump plug to ensure if there's any difference in measured oil levels left in sump pan.

Then note the difference between measured and actual, inform customer of difference.

I have had engines over filled with up to 9.5 liters of oil without the warning light coming on,
and it goes without saying under filled engines suffer the same problem.

Last edited:
I've used one on a few cars and have been very happy with the oil removed. Nice, clean and simple job it makes of it. People say it's leaves some old oil in the sump but I will say it's drips and not much more. Your feel when it hits the bottom and your see the amount of oil removed. Use also to suck oil from the filter housing. Takes a few mins to suck out, time for tea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom