320cdi start times

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amolak

Car
B200Turbo & V350
Hi, Starting car in the morning, takes about 4 secs to start. All day it starts immediately. If car is not used for a week, takes about 6-7 secs to start.

Glow plug comes on normally, and I begin to start once it goes out.

Is this normal?

Thanks

I have similar issue, but starts straight away first time, and after takes longer to crank (say max 4 sec). If I leave car parked for 1hr + will start straight away again.

I've no experience about V6 diesel, but I would say that's symptom of very early stage 'low fuel pressure at start' issue. May be due to leaking injector or jamming fuel control valve etc. (these engines are free of faulty o-rings is low pressure lines). But unless starts always at first time, I wouldn't worry...

I've no experience about V6 diesel, but I would say that's symptom of very early stage 'low fuel pressure at start' issue. May be due to leaking injector or jamming fuel control valve etc. (these engines are free of faulty o-rings is low pressure lines). But unless starts always at first time, I wouldn't worry...

Thanks, to confirm, don't the CDi engines have o-rings in the fuel lines?
Would u say the diesel filter is operating okay?
Some internet threads seem to point towards replacing the glow plug module.

Yes thats what it probably is, the glow plug module gone open circuit, just changed one on mine.

Do you get a lot of white smoke when it starts for the first time in the morning?

Yes thats what it probably is, the glow plug module gone open circuit, just changed one on mine.

Do you get a lot of white smoke when it starts for the first time in the morning?

no white smoke, I read somewhere that the cdi engine doesn't use the glow plugs unless temp is below zero

CDI3 engines have somehow better design and that CDI2 generation o-ring issue is not so valid any more.

I think glow plugs are used, but it's not so important when temp is higher. V6 diesels are lower compression ratio and are requiring glow plugs more than inline CDIs, it could be worth to check the control module.

I would not blame the filter if it is changed not more than 2 years ago.

Last edited:
CDI3 engines have somehow better design and that CDI2 generation o-ring issue is not so valid any more.

I think glow plugs are used, but it's not so important when temp is higher. V6 diesels are lower compression ratio and are requiring glow plugs more than inline CDIs, it could be worth to check the control module.

I would not blame the filter if it is changed not more than 2 years ago.

Thanks, are the 2006 320cdi engines cdi3 or cdi2? can you by visual inspection see if the o rings are ok?
how can you check the module without buying a replacement?
thanks

You can check the module with a code reader......

My E320 Cdi takes around 4 seconds when its the first start of the day..
My car has only done 38k miles so I doubt its clapped out just yet.
Once its been started that day then I would say 2 seconds is the norm.

Thanks, what if u haven't used it for a week, is it still 4 secs?

My suspicion is that the injectors are leaking back a bit so fuel pressure has to be built up before the engine can fire.

The old clunker is about 1 second after a couple of seconds of glow.

I think Your longer start time is a result of lower compression ratio.

Mine takes the same time as Steves about 4 secs initially first thing and then pretty well first on the button all day after that.
This is normal for an E320cdi, don't worry about it.:thumb::thumb:
BAZZER1

Mine takes the same time as Steves about 4 secs initially first thing and then pretty well first on the button all day after that.
This is normal for an E320cdi, don't worry about it.:thumb::thumb:
BAZZER1

Thanks Bazzer1, what if u don't use the car for 1 week how long does it take to start then?

My suspicion is that the injectors are leaking back a bit so fuel pressure has to be built up before the engine can fire.

If that was the problem, then surely it would affect starting during the day too?

Thanks, what if u haven't used it for a week, is it still 4 secs?

To be honest I haven't left it a week yet so I honestly don't know..
I have left it 2 days max so far and its initially 3 or 4 seconds.

My C270 Cdi went through a patch of Very bad starting.. I replaced all the O rings in the low pressure fuel pipes and all was spot on after that..
Its not a mileage thing with O rings.. Its Age that flattens them out..
They don't leak Diesel as such (Micro weeping that's all) but as the engine cools they allow air to be drawn into the pipes. This means the engine has to re bleed itself of air before it starts.
That condition only happened first thing in the day..

To be honest I haven't left it a week yet so I honestly don't know..
I have left it 2 days max so far and its initially 3 or 4 seconds.

My C270 Cdi went through a patch of Very bad starting.. I replaced all the O rings in the low pressure fuel pipes and all was spot on after that..
Its not a mileage thing with O rings.. Its Age that flattens them out..
They don't leak Diesel as such (Micro weeping that's all) but as the engine cools they allow air to be drawn into the pipes. This means the engine has to re bleed itself of air before it starts.
That condition only happened first thing in the day..

thanks, are those the pipes that go into the fuel filter. I read somewhere that the 320 engines don't suffer so much with o ring issues.

I would read the fault codes before you start ripping things apart, I still think it is the glow plug module.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom