320cdi v6 + Brabus D6III - weird vibration under high rpm / load

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seymansey

Car
2006 CLK 320cdi Avantgarde
Hi All,

Bit of an odd one this. I've recently fitted a brabus D6III to my CLK 320cdi v6 (2006). The unit serial was confirmed by brabus that it is correct for the vehicle and that it has the right programming.

After fitting the unit to the car, you can definitely notice the difference, however in higher gears and at 3-4k rpm under load (usually after a kick down), the car seems to 'die' and i notice a slight bit of vibration. Back off the accelerator, try again without kick down and the car will rev.

* Car has recently had new MAFs (mainly because the air intake y piece was cracked and this is a single unit).
* STAR shows no codes. When the incident happens, the car doesn't go into limp mode. Lower speed 'normal' driving is fine.
* Car had the ATF changed by MB 6 months ago.

Part of me thinks it could be gear slip due to the extra power. I haven't had a chance to remove the chip and try again, just yet.

Any ideas?

Hi All,

Bit of an odd one this. I've recently fitted a brabus D6III to my CLK 320cdi v6 (2006). The unit serial was confirmed by brabus that it is correct for the vehicle and that it has the right programming.

After fitting the unit to the car, you can definitely notice the difference, however in higher gears and at 3-4k rpm under load (usually after a kick down), the car seems to 'die' and i notice a slight bit of vibration. Back off the accelerator, try again without kick down and the car will rev.

* Car has recently had new MAFs (mainly because the air intake y piece was cracked and this is a single unit).
* STAR shows no codes. When the incident happens, the car doesn't go into limp mode. Lower speed 'normal' driving is fine.
* Car had the ATF changed by MB 6 months ago.

Part of me thinks it could be gear slip due to the extra power. I haven't had a chance to remove the chip and try again, just yet.

Any ideas?
Are you shore it is not you auto box mounts. l was at the mechanics the other day and he was showing me on the hoist( mounting bracket wear ). when under load it will shudder.

Are you shore it is not you auto box mounts. l was at the mechanics the other day and he was showing me on the hoist( mounting bracket wear ). when under load it will shudder.

The thing is, the car doesn't seem to have any more power when this happens - the vibration occurs and the car appears to 'rev limit', although i think this is a symptom as opposed to an ECU based thing.

The thing is, the car doesn't seem to have any more power when this happens - the vibration occurs and the car appears to 'rev limit', although i think this is a symptom as opposed to an ECU based thing.

the best solution would be removing the box. then test the car . At least you can determine if this is a chip box problem or a problem that has arose with the engine.

So, removed the kit yesterday and everything was back to normal, no performance issues whatsoever ever.

So there's two possible issues:

The car is failing somehow with the extra power.
The d6iii might have an issue. I did wonder if a poor earthing might caught the issue.

developer said:
Ask this man for advice - he's very helpful: [email protected]

Thanks, I've dealt with Markus before and can confirm that he is a very helpful individual.

He mentioned that it is likely to be the fuel pump struggling to deliver fuel at the higher rate which would check out with the symptoms.

Has anyone changed out the pump on the 320cdi v6 OM642? Looks quite easy from reading WIS. The main concern I have is if it requires any sort of removal of the timing chain system (which I guess it doesn't).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom