320CLS Heavy Steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colin 320cls

Car
merc 320cls
Hi..Have changed all ball joints and front shocks but steering still heavy with no self centering when cornering.

checked Hyd steering pump but it has a pair of wires coming out of it although the car does not have parametric steering...there is also a pair of wires coming from steering rack, new pump bought did not have a socket to accept wires.

any ideas what problem may be, are these wires connected to something else in the steering set up which could be faulty, all replies appreciated!!:wallbash:

Sounds like you have done a considerable amount of work to try and solve the problem....

Has it always been heavy?

Daft question, but tyre pressures correct?

Has anything else been changed? New alloys or tyres etc?

If it was mine, having done what you have so far, I would take it to my local indie (if you have one) and let them have a look....

Yes tyre pressures correct on Bridgestones always been heavy since purchased car 6 months ago...could it be caster angle out maybe?

If you have not already done so, I would suggest getting proper four wheel alignment carried out, especially after doing all the work on the suspension.
Also try get the car plugged into STAR to see if it bringing up anything to do with the pump at all. Tests may be able to be carried out on STAR also.

My C320 CDi W203 has constant heavy steering and my local MB main dealers they took it for a run and thought it was fine.
They say there always a little heavy and with having large tyres on 17"" rims it feels fine.
Mine also is a little lazy on straightening up after sharp corners but the main dealers are confident its fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom