35 years ago today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would have been 14 and my parents were very strict and didn't watch things like that so couldn't watch it. One tv in those days in the room where they smoked so I didn't see much tv because I hated the fag smoke. Probably why I have a tv in every room except the bathrooms now šŸ˜Š

Reactions: 219
I have no memories whatsoever of the day. I may have watched some of it but nothing springs to mind about what I was doing that day. Around then I was spending a lot of time travelling to and from Paris and Helsinki, so it may be that I wasnā€™t at home that day. I donā€™t know. But I do remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard that King George VI died, JFK was assassinated, England won a football game, Diana died in a Paris tunnel, and I watched the live news as the second plane crashed into the World Trade Center.

I have no memories whatsoever of the day. I may have watched some of it but nothing springs to mind about what I was doing that day. Around then I was spending a lot of time travelling to and from Paris and Helsinki, so it may be that I wasnā€™t at home that day. I donā€™t know. But I do remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard that King George VI died, JFK was assassinated, England won a football game, Diana died in a Paris tunnel, and I watched the live news as the second plane crashed into the World Trade Center.
I remember all except G Vl.
On 9/11 I strolled into the living room and my wife said a couple of planes had crashed into a couple of buildings in NY. She's a master of understatement...and ace at totally missing the point!!

I'm very rarely able to answer this sort of question. I watched it of course but it doesn't stand out as corresponding to a particular time in my life.

One exception was 9/11 because I was unemployed at home and watched the 2nd plane crash live. I remember speculating that the tower would have been designed to withstand the impact and that the fire protection of the steel structure would prevent a collapse.. Perhaps you remember things when you are wrong.

I'm very rarely able to answer this sort of question. I watched it of course but it doesn't stand out as corresponding to a particular time in my life.

One exception was 9/11 because I was unemployed at home and watched the 2nd plane crash live. I remember speculating that the tower would have been designed to withstand the impact and that the fire protection of the steel structure would prevent a collapse.. Perhaps you remember things when you are wrong.
I had popped home for lunch and was watching the live news from NY immediately after the first plane hit. I remember thinking ā€No wonder the plane crashed, look how close to the towers that one is flying.ā€

I was about 5 when JFK was assassinated so no great memories , although I vaguely remember seeing something of the funeral on TV , ditto Churchill's funeral . I clearly remember the night Diana died and sitting up all night watching the news unfold on TV ; 9-11 , the office I worked in at the time came to a complete stop and , after thinking the first one was an accident , the true picture unfolded - then the internet broke ....

I would have been 14 and my parents were very strict and didn't watch things like that so couldn't watch it. One tv in those days in the room where they smoked so I didn't see much tv because I hated the fag smoke. Probably why I have a tv in every room except the bathrooms now šŸ˜Š
I now have no TV , although I do have a screen to watch DVDs etc on .

I was about 5 when JFK was assassinated so no great memories , although I vaguely remember seeing something of the funeral on TV , ditto Churchill's funeral . I clearly remember the night Diana died and sitting up all night watching the news unfold on TV ; 9-11 , the office I worked in at the time came to a complete stop and , after thinking the first one was an accident , the true picture unfolded - then the internet broke ....
I was in the British High Commission in Vanuatu when the news came through about Diana. Televisions were turned on immediately but only French broadcasts were available - my limited French was enough to follow everything.

Nothing has changed in the recipient countries, rampant corruption.
This is the issue, we pile millions if not billions of pounds into these countries and nothing appears to change. Where does all the money go? Don't answer as it was a rhetorical question.

If I remember correctly,I had just bought and moved into my flat and was so busy all day that I went to bed and missed the whole thing :rolleyes:

Like a number of posters knowing what you were doing all those years ago is difficult,to remember I looked up some paperwork about the flat purchase to jog my memory,with Diana,I left said flat in a rush got into work,and had just looked at the first job I had to do,when I was told she was dead,I did not believe it ,so went to the tv we had ,the place just stopped,I left early that day and went to my local supermarket for a few essentials,they had moved the milk,I walked up to one of the staff and blew my top,I then said I was very sorry I don't know why I said all that,she said do not worry about it people have been like that all day,it s Diana dying people are so angry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom