350 CDI and Short Trips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob77

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 W201 2.6 Sportline; 2011 S204 C350 CDI Sport; 1978 Foale/Suzuki GS750; 1994 Aprilia Pegaso 650
I'm looking at a C350 CDI and it seems like it will be ideal, except that most of my driving is in town and short journeys. I've heard that's not good for the EGR and that it clogs up or something. Is that a serious concern or does it just involve me in fortnightly motorway blasts and/or cleaning the unit once a year at service time?

Bad idea - buy the petrol model

Deseasal will give poor mpg, the DPF will clog up, the engine and cabin won’t get warm in winter...

And if you live in Bristol you’ll be banned from using a deseasal...

I'm looking at a C350 CDI and it seems like it will be ideal, except that most of my driving is in town and short journeys. I've heard that's not good for the EGR and that it clogs up or something. Is that a serious concern or does it just involve me in fortnightly motorway blasts and/or cleaning the unit once a year at service time?
I've got the 350 cdi engine in mine albeit a c207 and during the week mostly do short trips, not had any problems, runs like a dream, decent MPG and the heater warms up quickly and is lovely and hot. :)

Bad idea - buy the petrol model

Deseasal will give poor mpg, the DPF will clog up, the engine and cabin won’t get warm in winter...

And if you live in Bristol you’ll be banned from using a deseasal...

What's the equivalent petrol model though? A 1.8?

Well my wife tootles about in her 350 cdi doing the short school runs, supermarkets, lunch with her friends (too often) and it does no more than 10 miles a day mostly. Never had a problem with DPF,EGR and the coolant booster gives it warm cabin air within 2 mins of starting. etc.
I give it a good Italian tune up now and again and it’s been good as gold. I wouldn’t worry about getting one.
Can someone ask the bloody idiots in government who told us diesel was the future and we all bought them for top dollar. Now , they’re evil and worth nothing .....

Well my wife tootles about in her 350 cdi doing the short school runs, supermarkets, lunch with her friends (too often) and it does no more than 10 miles a day mostly. Never had a problem with DPF,EGR and the coolant booster gives it warm cabin air within 2 mins of starting. etc.
I give it a good Italian tune up now and again and it’s been good as gold. I wouldn’t worry about getting one.
Can someone ask the bloody idiots in government who told us diesel was the future and we all bought them for top dollar. Now , they’re evil and worth nothing .....
F*ck the government, diesels are still bl00dy good, particularly 350cdi V6s :):D

And, if the DPF does clog up, is it difficult/expensive to unclog? Wouldn't it just be another hour's labour on top of the annual service or whatever?

And, if the DPF does clog up, is it difficult/expensive to unclog? Wouldn't it just be another hour's labour on top of the annual service or whatever?
Rob, worry about it, when and if (a big if) it does happen. :)

Rob, worry about it, when and if (a big if) it does happen. :)

It might help even if you took it on an occasional run even 7-10 mls keeping slightly down the gears at bit higher revs. Just now and then.
Will use we bit of fuel but might avoid any trouble with the dpf later on.

I'm on my 3rd v6 diesel Mercedes and haven't averaged more than 6 k annual miles in any of them and have had zero problems with PDF/egr-I think the 350 cdi's are superb,good mix of power,mpg and refinement/comfort and the heaters work just fine,try one you won't regret it.

Did a daily six mile round trip with my 350d for 4.5 year and never had a problem with the DPF , in fact it was the most reliable part of the car.

K

Thanks everyone, I picked up the car today [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nice one, Rob, pics when you can. :D
Although I've been a member here for years, I've never worked out how to post pics.

The car's great though - lots of options [emoji106]

Although I've been a member here for years, I've never worked out how to post pics.

The car's great though - lots of options [emoji106]

I was the same, regarding pics, always said pics to big,
so what I did was stood further back than I normally would to take a pic, then resize the pic on your phone, then post it, it works!
You could possibly try that. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom