350 cdi v6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz1

MB Enthusiast
Car
'08 C320 CDI Sport w/ Advcd. Agility Package
Hi Everyone

My dad is interested in a 2009 or 2010 W212 E350 CDI V6 Avantgarde Saloon.

Firstly, could anyone shine some light on any common/potential engine reliability issues or problems waiting to explode in the 350 CDI? Also, have the 320 CDI V6 problems (such as the crankshaft bearing issue and 7G Tronic issues etc...) passed on into the 350 CDI V6 engine?

Secondly, what are the problems associated with the gearbox on this engine, since it has the newer 7G Tronic + set-up?

I have been searching but couldn't seem to find the exact answers I am after.

Thanks in advance.

The 2009/10 350CDI is the 232bhp engine. There were a raft of changes made for MY2011 that upped the power to 265bhp and improved both fuel consumption and lowered the emissions band for VED. Part of that efficiency improvement was wrought by the adoption of the 7G+ gearbox at the same time. If your Dad can stretch the budget just a little further then I'd suggest a 265bhp car is a better proposition.

Regarding the earlier cars, I can't really say with respect to reliability issues but there don't seem to be many forum posts here or elsewhere that indicate any particular problems. As far as the 265bhp / 7G+ cars go, mine has been faultless and the 7G+ 'box is a definite improvement over the 7G in terms of driveability.

Hi. I'd just complete echo what st13phil has to say. 265bhp/7G+ is a noticeable improvement (lower tax and better mpg too) over the 232bhp/7G

Thanks for your inputs guys. I thought the 2009/10 E350 CDI had the 7G Tronic + Gear set-up.

What are your views on the 7G Tronic box in the 2009/10 W212, is it problematic like it was in the 320 CDI V6 diesel engine or did they improve the gearbox slightly for the 350 CDI V6 ?

I think the reality is that the 7G 'box has been under continuous improvement throughout its life, but I'm not aware of anything specific that is different about the examples mated to the 232bhp W212 engine.

BTW, when I said that the driveability of the 7G+ 'box is improved over that of the 7G, it's as a result of the much lower torque converter lockup speed, and less transmission "slip" than there is with the 7G 'box. This means that the car has the direct drive connection feel of a manual transmission as you come on and off the throttle. FWIW, my wife has a MY09 SLK350 fitted with the 7G 'box and while I prefer the feel of the 7G+, its perfectly acceptable and has given no trouble.

I think the reality is that the 7G 'box has been under continuous improvement throughout its life, but I'm not aware of anything specific that is different about the examples mated to the 232bhp W212 engine.

BTW, when I said that the driveability of the 7G+ 'box is improved over that of the 7G, it's as a result of the much lower torque converter lockup speed, and less transmission "slip" than there is with the 7G 'box. This means that the car has the direct drive connection feel of a manual transmission as you come on and off the throttle. FWIW, my wife has a MY09 SLK350 fitted with the 7G 'box and while I prefer the feel of the 7G+, its perfectly acceptable and has given no trouble.

So its basically down to personal driving likings... 7G OR 7G +.

Also, would anyone know if a 2009 to 2010 E350 CDI Saloon has a DPF filter fitted on it? If it did have a DPF, what are the problems associated with it and how long would it take for the DPF to fill before regeneration is needed - mainly town driving and motorway once or twice a month? Thanks

mbenz1 said:
So its basically down to personal driving likings... 7G OR 7G +.
sort of, but the 7g+ gives better fuel economy - at least 2mpg.

Regarding the DPF, afaik all 350CDI W212's have a DPF. Lots of short journeys don't help them as it interferes with the regen cycle, but as long as its driven at >40mph for at least 20 minutes every 300 miles or so it'll be fine.

sort of, but the 7g+ gives better fuel economy - at least 2mpg.

Regarding the DPF, afaik all 350CDI W212's have a DPF. Lots of short journeys don't help them as it interferes with the regen cycle, but as long as its driven at >40mph for at least 20 minutes every 300 miles or so it'll be fine.

Thanks for your info

Could anyone let me know what the recommended transmission oil change interval is for the 350 V6 CDI in a 2009 (59) W212 saloon?

I have a wild guess of every 30,000 miles?

Also, how much extra does it cost for a transmission oil change with the standard service at a MB dealer?

Thanks.

Could anyone let me know what the recommended transmission oil change interval is for the 350 V6 CDI in a 2009 (59) W212 saloon?

I have a wild guess of every 30,000 miles?

Also, how much extra does it cost for a transmission oil change with the standard service at a MB dealer?

Thanks.

As far as I am aware, the 7G box is at 3 years (so, presumably 3 years/45000 miles), whereas the later 7G+ is at 5 years. (I'll try and remember to check in the service schedule if I get the chance).

As far as I am aware, the 7G box is at 3 years (so, presumably 3 years/45000 miles), whereas the later 7G+ is at 5 years. (I'll try and remember to check in the service schedule if I get the chance).

Okay, so is the transmission oil needed to be changed every 3 years or just the once?

Went for a test drive in a W212 350 CDI 2009 Saloon and I could feel slight vibrations on the seats and floor. Is this normal?

Buckled alloy perhaps?

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it was only present at idle. I know that the W211 facelift with a V6 diesel engine suffers from vibrations, so can I assume that the W212 suffers from a similar problem?

I spoke to an reputable Indy here in Johannesburg (SA) about a 2007 E350 CDI which slipped through my hands at an auction.

His view was to expect turbo replacement (~UKP1,700) by 130,000kms and injectors replacement (~UKP550 x 6) at about the same mileage.

It will be interesting to know how prevalent these replacements are and the accuracy of the costs.

Okay, so is the transmission oil needed to be changed every 3 years or just the once?

According to my service booklet, version 2012,the following is listed as 'additional maintenance work' for the E-class:

Once at 50000km (31000 miles) / 3 years -Automatic transmission oil and filter change performed (vehicles with 7-speed automatic transmission NAG2 or NAG2-V-Sport or hybrid vehicle) -

and
Every 125000km (77500 miles) / 5 years - Automatic transmission oil changed and filter replaced (only with NAG2 -FE+ transmission)

My understanding is that the FE+ transmission is the revised 7G+ fitted when the 'eco' start-stop was introduced (certainly with the coupés, not sure about the saloon).

Until I re-read it, I just thought they'd extended the oil change interval on the revised boxes, but it seems to state a once-only change on the older version, but a 5-yearly change on the later one.

Somebody with greater knowledge (or a dealer might assist) will be able to confirm my thought about the 2 versions outlined above.

I spoke to an reputable Indy here in Johannesburg (SA) about a 2007 E350 CDI which slipped through my hands at an auction.

His view was to expect turbo replacement (~UKP1,700) by 130,000kms and injectors replacement (~UKP550 x 6) at about the same mileage.

It will be interesting to know how prevalent these replacements are and the accuracy of the costs.

Interesting info here but not good news :doh:

According to my service booklet, version 2012,the following is listed as 'additional maintenance work' for the E-class:

Once at 50000km (31000 miles) / 3 years -Automatic transmission oil and filter change performed (vehicles with 7-speed automatic transmission NAG2 or NAG2-V-Sport or hybrid vehicle) -

and
Every 125000km (77500 miles) / 5 years - Automatic transmission oil changed and filter replaced (only with NAG2 -FE+ transmission)

My understanding is that the FE+ transmission is the revised 7G+ fitted when the 'eco' start-stop was introduced (certainly with the coupés, not sure about the saloon).

Until I re-read it, I just thought they'd extended the oil change interval on the revised boxes, but it seems to state a once-only change on the older version, but a 5-yearly change on the later one.

Somebody with greater knowledge (or a dealer might assist) will be able to confirm my thought about the 2 versions outlined above.

That's good news if one transmission oil change is enough to keep the 7G Tronic gearbox in good running condition. I have heard that some people continue to change their gearbox oil every 30-40,000 miles just for personal satisfaction. I wonder if there would be any disadvantages by doign this.

It won't do any harm having oil changed more often than suggested in the service schedule; I would certainly consider having it done.

There is a similar issue with Jaguar, who state that the gearboxes are 'sealed for life', yet it is generally considered worthwhile changing the oil at 50-60000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom