350 SLK Non-starter (Not turning over)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

james2747

Not sure if I should post this in Electrics forum or engine ... but as its a non-starter … gone for Engine.

The other halves pride and joy is her 350 SLK … 2006 vintage.

It is in excellent condition probably due to fact it remains in the garage for 11 months of the year and then is only ever allowed out when the sun is shining and temperature above about 1,000 degrees!!

During the ‘lay-up’ period it is constantly on a Cetec smart battery charger

I start engine every 2 to 3 weeks and allow it to warm up to normal temperature (about 15 mins) during which time I cycle through gears 4 or 5 times, windows up & down, brake pedal pressed a good few times, wing mirrors in & out, etc., to minimise risk of anything seizing up.

It always bursts in to life first time and I have never had any issues with the car ... until today.

Tried to start it as normal but engine will not turn over.

Battery in excellent condition.

No ‘clicking’ sound from starter solenoid, gear selector in ‘Park’ … nothing!!

Full set of instrument lights illuminate on the dash.

It would appear no power is getting to the starter as there is just silence when key is turned to the start position … as if some ‘isolator’ is in play.

As I mentioned previously, car has always started first time, so its not as if it has been getting progressively harder to start or shown any previous signs of hesitancy or clicking noise like the solenoid sticking, so I’m baffled as to what this ‘sudden’ problem could be that is causing this non starting (or more accurately) non turning-over problem.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what the cause of this ‘non starting’ could be would be greatly appreciated.

Have you trued the spare key? It could be an immobilisor issue and the key you used is not being recognised or a failure of the Electronic ignition switch?

To be absolutely sure the battery is OK have you tried jump starting it?

Hello DSM.
Thank you for your response ... much appreciated.
Not tried the spare key ... that is a good idea.
When it wouldn't turn over, I even disconnected the battery for a few minutes in the hope that any electrical settings that may have been causing the problem would then be 're-set' ... seems to work on my laptop when I have problems!!
Gear selector was moved a good few times and returned to 'Park'.
I thought something like a 'lock-off' switch may have been the culprit, so moved lever and then ensured it was firmly in 'Park'.
Also tried to start it in Neutral as well (with brake pedal applied).

When you turn the key, from 'Ignition on' to start position ... there is no noise whatsoever from starter solenoid so I'm assuming there is no power getting to it.
I hear the fuel pump in the back area kick in when I turn key to switch ignition on but other than that ... nothing.
I'm not sure on car electrics but if it was an ignition (isolator) fault wouldn't it isolate the fuel pump as well.

I'm going to try to borrow a colleagues fault Reader ... but as you can appreciate that is not too easy in the current lock down situation.

Hello DSM.
When it wouldn't turn over, I even disconnected the battery for a few minutes in the hope that any electrical settings that may have been causing the problem would then be 're-set' ... seems to work on my laptop when I have problems!!
I thought something like a 'lock-off' switch may have been the culprit, so moved lever and then ensured it was firmly in 'Park'.

When you turn the key, from 'Ignition on' to start position ... there is no noise whatsoever from starter solenoid so I'm assuming there is no power getting to it.
I hear the fuel pump in the back area kick in when I turn key to switch ignition on but other than that ... nothing.
I'm not sure on car electrics but if it was an ignition (isolator) fault wouldn't it isolate the fuel pump as well.

I'm going to try to borrow a colleagues fault Reader ... but as you can appreciate that is not too easy in the current lock down situation.
I think the isolator just disables the starter / ignition circuit but do not quote me :)

If it is just a generic OBD fault code reader you are borrowing I doubt it will show much if anything, iCarsoft or similar or preferably Star is required.

Did you try a jump start and / or the second key?

You say that the instrument lights come on, but how about the headlights? If so, do they stay on fully while you’re turning the ignition key? If not, it sounds like your battery isn’t in the excellent condition you think it is. Or it could be a poor earth connection.

Having said all that, not hearing the starter solenoid clicking makes it sound like something else. Could it be something as simple as a blown fuse - I don’t know if there is one for the starter circuit on the SLK but I would think so.

Good luck

Hello DSM.

I have had this, but mine was it wasn't in park, you could hear the fuel pump but when you turned the key nothing.But as you say you tried the gears.

Assuming it is an auto, how you do run it through the gears?

Is it possible the car still thinks it is in gear?

Check all the fuses first. Then it will need to be plugged in. Its a guessing game unless its plugged into a Star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom