360 degree Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8ig_steve

Car
GLC 250D Sport
I had not chosen the 360 degree camera option in my awaited new GLC as I thought it was a bit of a gimmick.

I have been changing my mind recently as I have seen various reviews and it looks like it could be quite useful, particularly for my wife who being vertically challenged does not get a good view of the end of the bonnet. I may see if it is not too late to add it to my spec.

Can anyone who has this option tell me if the front bumper is visible in the camera when parking and what sort of view is given when emerging at T junctions. Any other comments on this camera system would also be appreciated.

Steve

I wanted this option but was talked out of it by the salesman . In hindsight I wished I'd had it but it's too late now. I suppose I've been driving long enough without one and if I'm honest my wife wouldn't use it if it didn't come on automatically, she would say that she used it if she hit anything and then accuse it of being rubbish as a defence.

Hi,
We have it on our ML63 and the overhead view is very clever.
I suspect people were talked out of it because I heard that there were supplier shortages - so vehicles with that specified were very delayed.
Sales people want to shift vehicles at certain dates to ensure volume bonuses!
Cheers
Steve

Personally, I'd say it's main benefit is in lining up in parking spaces, making sure you don't park over double yellows etc. Of course you can see objects, but you'll still rely on the parking sensors for distance. Naturally, in winter you have to keep the lenses clean to be of any use.

It's no help at all at T-junctions, pulling out of driveways etc., but overall I'd say it's a worthwhile option.

cheers, Steve

My narrow garage was a pain before 360.
You could easy save your investment in not getting small dints and damage to you rims/tires also.

I have it on the C Class. Unfortunately in the C Class implementation, the angle of the camera doesn't have a clear view of the bumper edge. I can't visibly see my bumper relationship / gap with the other car / object, because MB decided to render a shaded area which masks it. You can see the shaded area in the video sh59fifty-uk posted at about 1:57 min

The alternative view is at the wrong angle to see it properly.

So I need to use it in conjunction with the park sensors. The GLC might have a better angle.

However, it's invaluable for avoiding kerbing your alloys, and clipping them on kerbs when swinging around, going through tight lanes in car parks.

I avoided squashing a snail on my drive (not picked up by park sensor) which I noticed was behind my vehicle in the path of my tyre as I walked to the car.

Last edited:
I totally get the 360 degree camera. We in fact ordered it on the 205 estate we had to cancel.

However, I don't understand everyone saying it's invaluable to save your alloys.

I wouldn't consider myself an amazing driver, but I've yet to damage an alloy. When did we all become so reliant on computers for being able to drive properly?

Ant.

MB missed a trick to see around corners like the BMW system (has two cameras mounted on the side of the front bumper)
so when edging out of a blind junction, you don't have to cross your fingers and hope for the best that no traffic is coming.

The ultimate would be to have side cameras on rear bumper for reversing. and built in 'dashcam' that uses the car's onboard cameras rather than something stuck on the windscreen - all connected to Mercedes Me :)

I've heavily kerbed my alloys about 2 times in 13 years. Mainly due to quick entry when on the predatory search for a parking space and diving into a relatively tight space before the other party does.

I wouldn't consider myself an amazing driver, but I've yet to damage an alloy. When did we all become so reliant on computers for being able to drive properly?

Ant.

Depend somewhat to different stuff.
Like to smal parking garages with multiple sharp edges and security card readers.
Some towns is in such lack of space so all kinds of pavements and parking garages are narrow.

Some nations even make pavement edges sharp to prevent cars from running up on the pavement.

I have been driving in most of Europe and USA, and there is so different how they make obstacles for drivers somewhere.

Try Vienna centrum :)

I have a propensity to park on end spaces in car parks, and get as close as possible to the kerb (probably about 5mm-10mm), deliberately parking offset in the parking space to allow for the largest gap between my car and the other car to prevent car door dings. Yeah, I'm a bit mad :)

I have a propensity to park on end spaces in car parks, and get as close as possible to the kerb (probably about 5mm-10mm), deliberately parking offset in the parking space to allow for the largest gap between my car and the other car to prevent car door dings. Yeah, I'm a bit mad :)

Yes, you are mad indeed.
I'm the same :cool:

Hi,
We have it on our ML63 and the overhead view is very clever.
I suspect people were talked out of it because I heard that there were supplier shortages - so vehicles with that specified were very delayed.
Sales people want to shift vehicles at certain dates to ensure volume bonuses!
Cheers
Steve

There's been no shortage on that option at all, so it must have been another reason.

It's definitely a good option to have. The best thing for me is driving into a few car parks down here, where there's high kerbs as you're pulling into the building. You can just turn your wheel and it'll tell you exactly where you're going to go

I'd love this option. Thankfully I've only ever kerbed alloys when pulling over to let some idiot past that sped up when he shouldn't

But those high level kerbs and tight spaces are ridiculous, I think this would be invaluable. For example, the multi story car park in Leicester opposite the football ground is a nightmare! So glad I've only ever gone round that in the smaller workvan, each time nearly driving up the corner kerb with the rear wheel :eek:

I forgot to add the quote but I also park on the end as far from the next car as possible. Bays are too narrow and other drivers don't give a ****

So when it comes to being mad
Me too!

Last edited:
I was offered this option as the spec for the model year changed when my car was ordered, and I didn't take it.

Having seen the new Parking Pilot system which is launched with the New E Class next month, If I understand from my Dealer correctly this can be enabled (no idea of costs or even if it is possible) on the C Class from later in the year if you have Auto gearbox, Keyless Go, (which I do) and of course the 360 camera. Would be handy for the tight garage space.

I was offered this option as the spec for the model year changed when my car was ordered, and I didn't take it.

Having seen the new Parking Pilot system which is launched with the New E Class next month, If I understand from my Dealer correctly this can be enabled (no idea of costs or even if it is possible) on the C Class from later in the year if you have Auto gearbox, Keyless Go, (which I do) and of course the 360 camera. Would be handy for the tight garage space.

I do hope that's true ... just for the gadget grin factor :D:D:D

There's been no shortage on that option at all, so it must have been another reason.

It's definitely a good option to have. The best thing for me is driving into a few car parks down here, where there's high kerbs as you're pulling into the building. You can just turn your wheel and it'll tell you exactly where you're going to go

No shortage on 360? Are you having a laugh? Unable to order it on a C or an E on a factory order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom