38 pin reading R129 diagnostics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Watchcame430

MB Enthusiast
Car
Previous 1994 SL500, 2001 W210 E430 and 2003 Designo S500 Current 2005 S211 E270
Hi All,

I have done diagnostics on my SL500 and found the below

Pin 4, 23 flashes
Pin 6, 21 and 30 flashes
Pin 7, 1 flash
Pin 8, 1 flash
Pin 15, on all the time
Pin 16, on all the time
Pin 17, 1 flash
Pin 21, 17, 18,28 and 29 flashes
Pin 22 on and 3 (need to double check this one)
Pin 31, 9 and 13 flashes

I have list my list of what each means and struggling online. Found this http://www.motodok.com/Documentation/Files/MB/mb-dtc-manual-98-00.pdf
But it doesn't relate easily unless I am missing something.

Does anyone have a good easy to understand reference by any chance?

Thanks

I think 1 flash means no fault?

Yep, one flash = no faults stored

Have you printed the relevant pages of that pdf or are you scrolling back and forth through the complete thing? The later, even with a pdf that only covered your exact model, is gonna make things a lot harder/frustrating and mistake prone

Pin 4, 23 flashes... pg12 of the pdf is the 'index' for various models of MB with a 38 pin connector. Pin 4 covers different things depending on the model, in your case a '94 SL500 should be r129.067 chassis with 119.972 engine so need to scroll down to the relevent section which is pg18 and it says purge switchover valve, open or short circuit
That's refering to the fuel tank venting system, I know the link says w124 and is for the m104 engine but 47-0030 and 47-0200 explain the principles and do touch on both the r129 and the m119 engine... 47 Fuel system - M104

We're getting ahead of ourselves though. Unless you've already cleared all the codes and the ones in your list came back they might be totally irrelevant say for example someone swapped a bad purge valve in the dim and distant past and didn't bother clearing the codes...

Thank you ... Have slowly been getting there. Do need to print it out to make more sense of it I think.

I guessed what you have suggested so must be reading it right.
I took out the purge valve and cleaned out with some penetrating fluid.
I am not sure if it has fixed it though as I had another issue when putting the battery back on. The horn goes off and won't switch off even when I start the engine. Means I can't test the clean/fix.

The horn I can't find an answer too yet but have ordered a used purge valve as a precaution and hopefully will get to try it out.

Will print off as suggested ... I think it will help. Thanks again ... Much appreciated!

Where can I get the tool to read the error codes?

Where can I get the tool to read the error codes?

I got mine in the states on eBay.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom