38mpg from 05 plate E320CDI?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilsonuk

Car
ML320 cdi / AM Vantage / Jaguar XJ / formerly SL350 and E320cdi
The best I can achieve on a long motorway journey (say 80 miles) doing about 80mph is 38mpg. I spend most of the time on cruise and like to think that I'm a sensible driver, no harsh braking or accelerating.

Is this a reasonable result?

The best I can achieve on a long motorway journey (say 80 miles) doing about 80mph is 38mpg. I spend most of the time on cruise and like to think that I'm a sensible driver, no harsh braking or accelerating.

Is this a reasonable result?
Is it the V6 or IL6?

And is it off the OBC or manual calculation?

I would say that 38mpg for the V6 would be about right but maybe a touch low for the I6 (I have the I6 and get 45mpg @ 70mph dropping to 40-42mpg @ 80mph)

The I6 is Euro III where as the V6 is Euro IV and seems to suffer a little worse in the MPG stakes than the I6 engine'd E Class.

I believe some V6 owners on here have disproved this though!

Mine is the straight six E320 model, was tempted by the thought of the V6 but read here before I purchased that many had lower MPG because of the new Euro regs the V6 (and some straight 6) came under.

Happy to say that I can regularly hit 40-45MPG for motorway driving for 60-80 MPH speeds. Had it higher than that when I was on a conference call for 40 minutes or more on the inside lane at 50 ish.

Inside lane is so much easier when you are trying to read the paper, shave, txt and eat a bowl of corn flakes....... only kidding mother.... :D

Inside lane is so much easier when you are trying to read the paper, shave, txt and eat a bowl of corn flakes....... only kidding mother.... :D

I know you're joking but have seen these!!

I can get 40mpg sometimes but that's usually driving quite carefully (under 75mph - indicated your honour) - usually with an interesting podcast on to keep my interested.

That is almost exactly the same as I get:
E320CDi 2005 model
Cruise set to 82mph.
It has always been thus over the 70,000 miles - the figure has never wavered.
This is reading off the on-board computer.

In a 2006 V6 320 cdi I got the following over 10 months of mostly brisk motorway driving
Total miles - 29985.00
MPG - 39.96
Total gals - 750.43
Total cost - £3,867.39

Thanks guys, looks like I'm doing ok with 38mpg then. Amazing the difference 5 years makes, my mate's getting 52mpg + from his 2.7 Audi A5 diesel!!

Mine is the straight six E320 model, was tempted by the thought of the V6 but read here before I purchased that many had lower MPG because of the new Euro regs the V6 (and some straight 6) came under.

Happy to say that I can regularly hit 40-45MPG for motorway driving for 60-80 MPH speeds. Had it higher than that when I was on a conference call for 40 minutes or more on the inside lane at 50 ish.

A 2005 I6 may well be EU4 as by 2005 you are in the "run out" zone for that engine.

38mpg sounds about right, my V6 Eu4 (I know different engine) which has taller gearing than the V6 returns 40mpg at that speed, which is IMHO very good for a large car going at 2/3rds of terminal velocity speed

Thanks guys, looks like I'm doing ok with 38mpg then. Amazing the difference 5 years makes, my mate's getting 52mpg + from his 2.7 Audi A5 diesel!!

He must be very very lightfooted because my Dad has a 2007 A6 2.0 tdi and gets about 50ish to the gallon.

A 2005 I6 may well be EU4 as by 2005 you are in the "run out" zone for that engine.

you can tell with the colour of the engine pannels. If its all black its EU4 , if its silver and black its EU3:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom