3rd Annual Pilgramage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
LOL nice one Gollom

Pammy - does it show ..yes still scarred & scared

@Malcolm - you a a far braver man than me gungadin

Maybe we should see what people do want to do. Although the hotel is cheap and the rooms were OK, if on the small side, for the money they were excellent value. For me though the miserable attitude of the staff was unacceptable. They did not make us feel welcome at all. Looking after us was too much trouble.

I'm surprised by this comment. The hotel caters for fixed price coach parties so works on a strict timetable and meals rosta but otherwise we thought it was fine.
We found the staff efficient and polite...maybe you're sore because you didn't get a free orange juice with breakfast...:rolleyes:

Nah.. they were misereable -tying to get a smile out of them was hard work - also I had a tug of war with the waitress on the sunday morning as she tried to remove my breakfast plate when I was still mopping up me egg with me toast ! how very dare she ! and who says just because you arrive by coach you have to eat at a set time as a group? I didnt see any coaches in the car park - it was full of cars - too full to accomodate us lot properley :)

In fairness, The hotel was clean & warm & reasonably priced - but it was so bad it was funny - Wifey & I couldnt stop laughing - if we didnt we would have cried :)

Last edited:
Well it must be the North/South thing then because we found them OK, not very talkative but helpful enough and that suited us, and when staying over on Sunday there was a coach...:p

Most of their bookings are coach tours, hence the biddy brigade.;)

I quite enjoyed the hotel - went there with no expectations and found it very funny. Nice sized room too with a double bed for little ol me!:p

I also enjoyed answering the phone behind the bar when we were waiting ages for service to hear: "Is George there?" and replied "No, sorry, but it would be lovely if someone could be;) " <-- said in a friendly tone of course.

Fond memories of coming back and seeing Pammys favourite member of staff and informing him (without being asked) that I most certainly did not have a kebab!!

:D
A good time.

Mrs Gollom packed well

Mrs.Gollompackedwell.jpg

Remind me of how many weeks you were going again? :crazy: :crazy:

Gollom dreams-on....

Gollomdreams.jpg

I take it the keys were well hidden :devil:

Maybe we should see what people do want to do. Although the hotel is cheap and the rooms were OK, if on the small side, for the money they were excellent value. For me though the miserable attitude of the staff was unacceptable. They did not make us feel welcome at all. Looking after us was too much trouble.
Seconded. Basil was not in a good mood:rolleyes:

pammy said:
It may be that we end up people staying in different places.
More than likely;)

pammy said:
There are other hotels that look nicer than the Anchorage. Eg http://www.meadfoot.com/ and the rates look attractive too.
This looks ok and has FREE wifi too, so no dodgy pacemakers to blow up:devil:

pammy said:
Camping is an option too that I would be happy to consider as well as a house, but I do take all the points Steve has made.

Camping is a possibility for me too. There's a nice site at Brixham I use when I go fishing:D

last minute b&b for £37 -- not bad! We might be able to negotiate this kind of rate ahead of time?

best thing to do then is for Gollom to start the thread he suggested perhaps as a poll with the following options maybe?

Anchorage, group booking.
Other hotel, group booking,
find you own room, no group booking,
a house for all, group booking,
just the dates, so John can sort his life and we all meet on the day.

or other ideas.

Having stayed at the anchorage, and as it was the only suggestion the first time I went, and just had to be done this time, I now find it has run its course. I think the staff attitude does not warrant me giving them any more money (Although anybody who wants to can) and I would be happy to stay in a different hotel, but would prefer it is we had a group of us staying there to make more of the weekend! If i paid more I would complain, but I can say its value and you do get what you pay for. I think I want a bit more and find I may have to pay a bit more for it tho.

I think a house would be okay for not too many of us, and maybe we should organise that in private, if the vote is to find our own rooms.

I make the effort to go for John, but I do appreciate those who have come on both the occasions I have, just for the fact they make the effort too.

last minute b&b for £37 -- not bad! We might be able to negotiate this kind of rate ahead of time?

Yes Boris, you can, as you will be the next Mayor of London!!! maybes you could get it cheap.
:) :) :)

I make the effort to go for John, but I do appreciate those who have come on both the occasions I have, just for the fact they make the effort too.

I know that I only had to drive 50 miles to go, but it would have made no difference had it been 300 miles. The effort made by john and his family made this the very good event that it was, with a good focal point. Should we get split up in the evening through our own arrangements it would take the edge off it.
Just meeting you in the flesh made it all worthwhile,after all we have been talking for nearly 2 years, and the same for the other members who attended, once you have met them you realize that they are all good decent people, and it gives a warm feeling when talking to them here.

Just my thoughts

My vote would be for the hotel again and the 22/23rd August looks good!
Don't forget to check for Bank Hoilidays as the M5 can become one huge traffic jam?

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom