3rd brake light CLS w219

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matteasteal

Car
CLS CLC E220
Desperately hoping I’m not going to have to dismantle the complete rear interior to access and fix the brake light

I want to test the light itself by powering up the cables to it - can anyone confirm wire colours and location - I have checked the suspect fraying near boot lid hinge and all looks well there

Thanks for any “enlightening “ advice on the fix here

It’s the light that’s positioned on the rear deck at bottom of window

Matt

Google it as there are videos on removal but also on where to look for the break in the wire which seems to be the biggest issue if the whole light has failed.

Thanks for your reply Larkone

I have found and seen as much as I can online to find about this issue on cls -

before attempting to dismantle the seats and interior to access the light unit I’d dearly like to continuity test the wiring to it so if anyone has any information on what wiring colour code is for the 3rd brake light harness on a w219 CLS 2010 ld be grateful

Thanks for your reply Larkone

I have found and seen as much as I can online to find about this issue on cls -

before attempting to dismantle the seats and interior to access the light unit I’d dearly like to continuity test the wiring to it so if anyone has any information on what wiring colour code is for the 3rd brake light harness on a w219 CLS 2010 ld be grateful
Ps - I couldn’t see any breaks anywhere on the harness of wires in the boot well where it’s reported they usually strain

Wiring colours seem to be brown / red , there also looks like there is a fair amount of wiring from the lamp assembly so it should be easy (ish) to check for a supply once you find the connection.

K

Desperately hoping I’m not going to have to dismantle the complete rear interior to access and fix the brake light

I want to test the light itself by powering up the cables to it - can anyone confirm wire colours and location - I have checked the suspect fraying near boot lid hinge and all looks well there

Thanks for any “enlightening “ advice on the fix here

It’s the light that’s positioned on the rear deck at bottom of window

Matt
Hi Matt, I've attached the wiring diagram for the boot, which includes the 3rd brake light, It's for the W212 E class, and the page you're looking for is Nr 4, but you might find the other 3 pages usefull too. There's a very usefull video on youtube, " remove MB rear parcel shelf", I'd strongly advise looking at it. I was trying to track down the wires feeding the 3rd light ( I needed to take a feed from the brake light, to activate a universal relay for my towbar lights ) So I duly started on the job of stripping down the back to get at the light, and then to backtrack the cable into the rear harness. Removal of the rear seats, no problem, ( a bit fiddly releasing the locks on the rear seat, lying down on your back in the boot, and using a screwdriver to "Flip" the lock mechanism ) Then came the actual shelf it self....on either side, it has upturns, which hook under the 1/4 panels, going up to the roof. These contain the airbags,,,,, So I tugged and I pulled, using what force I considered safe ( especially where the airbags were concerned....) and in the end, I chickened out, The risk of having Airbags OUT outweighed finding the solution to my trailer wiring problem, and I replaced everything. So I searched ( and searched again, many times, I found it notoriously difficult to source an MB rear wiring diagram ) before I came across the diagrams in the attachment. So maybe this diagram will help you ( I hope so !! ) While I had the seats out, I could feel several wires feeding down into the main harness from the shelf, so one was the 3rd brake, but that's behind a panel ( like inner wheel arch ) and its hard to track them from that point, But you may be able to decipher them from the Diagram? I haven't had the time or opportunity to do it myself yet, so if you can identify where they are in the harness, would be great.
Good Luck with it., and keep us updated, OK? Thanks

Attachments

• MB 3rd Brake LIght Diagram 4 pages..pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Thanks for your reply and yes I will update this thread when I have found the fix - unfortunately I’m currently undergoing both radiotherapy and chemotherapy - about a month more of daily treatment but for sure once I’m op for it I will share anything useful here

Best

Matt

Thanks for your reply and yes I will update this thread when I have found the fix - unfortunately I’m currently undergoing both radiotherapy and chemotherapy - about a month more of daily treatment but for sure once I’m op for it I will share anything useful here

Best

Matt
Best of luck to you again Matt , with with your health issues,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom