3rd brake light E class W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donubenz

Car
w211 r230
Hi,
my wife informed me that when I put my brakes on the rear light on the boot lid only lights about half of the way across. When I looked, the right hand side does not even seem to glimer. It looks looks like there are about a dozen leds nad maybe 8 from the left are lit. Have searched the forums and not found any links, short of replacing the unit has anyone any ideas?
No warnings on dash that anything is amiss and I suspect that it has been like it for some time.
thanks,
Don
W211 e class 320i 2003

A common issue, the only resolution I'm aware of is replacment. Be advised though I'm sure I've been told its best to get the facelift part as its not prone to the problem.

Gareth

Out of interest - does your boot opener work?

I only ask, as both my LED strip, and my boot opener seemed to fail at the same time. I wondered if they're linked??

Sorry, to clarfiy my brake light is working fine. I'm only aware of this issue through my reading of the forum.

I'll be doing mine on my next free weekend and I found this write up which might be of interest. It's in spanish but I think it's quite easy to follow. I've done a translation and got it as a pdf document but it's a bit big (4.7Mb) and don't know how to upload to this forum. If in need of help with the meaning of some words, or phrases, just let me know and I can translate different parts for you. Click the following link.

Regards.
Ted
Tutorial 3ª luz freno LED - W211 | Mercedes-Benz

Can you get those clear strips for Mercs that you get on the back of say 330i Coupe Sport BMWs after the facelift (just before 2003/53 ish)?

My boot opener works ok from remote and button in car, just the boot warning brake light. I thought that maybe the cluster could be replaced.
Don

Can you get those clear strips for Mercs that you get on the back of say 330i Coupe Sport BMWs after the facelift (just before 2003/53 ish)?

What do you mean clear strips, like the one on my avatar?

Definitely replace it with the facelift part, it's a direct fit, has better quality LEDs and fewer of them, and doesn't have the odd looking gap in the middle - I did mine when the original one failed.

Thanks for info assume the replacement was Mercedes part?
Don

Yeah, ask at the parts desk, it looks similar but lights up completely differently, same price!

What do you mean clear strips, like the one on my avatar?

Yup, that's the one!

Can you get those on W211s?

I haven't checked mine and I wrongly thought the brake light circuit test would highlight if one or more LEDs was out, but in light of this post, I don't think this will be the case and I will check mine out manually.

If I have to replace, I would prefer a clear one like yours if possible as I like the look. I wouldn't bother otherwise. Mine is a dark red colour and looks a bit old school (OCD).

I had to do a bit of research to find the one for mine, it's for an SL65 black series , exactly the same shape and fitting as the red one I took off. I ended up sitting in MB parts dept with the parts guys to find the smoked one. I share that OCD.

Best to look on the internet for a model of w211 with the clear one... a quick search shows the E63 has the same red one...

Had a look on EPC and don't see and equivalent for the w211, give your local MB parts guy a call.

Last edited:
I had 4 led's out on my boot lid brake light cluster and i repaired it at a cost of £50

Is it easy to just solder in replacement ones?

i have my facelift one sitting next to me on my desk, £70 inc discount from the dealers, part number a2118201456.

damb you have now just reminded me of what im doing tommorrow ;)

I think I know the answer to this but is it still red or are they clear on the facelift (i.e. the one you have)?

still red, less LEDs, but brighter.

the SL`s had clear when facelifted

i replaced 4 leds myself, they are hard to come by and you would need to have a very fine tiped iron to remove and replace the old ones also you may need a strong magnifying glass to see as the legs on the leds are very fine

just replaced my whole unit, took me about 45 mins, will try and get a how to as i took some pics.

2 of the LEDs had water ingress and probably could have been replaced

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom