3rd-gen E-class - facelift improvements really significant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stumead

Car
Between motors
I'm heading out to buy a 3rd-generation E-class estate this week (hopefully) and have read a comments on major websites (RAC/Autocar) that teh facelift model has improved road-handling from better suspension.

Is anyone who has experience of pre & post facelift models able to share their opinion whether this makes a great difference?
I will be doing mainly motorway cruising combined with driving in and out of towns to see buildings (I'm a surveyor) - it's a great big estate, I'm I've no intention of rallying in it, but equally I don't just hang about when driving on A-roads & although I live up a Welsh hill, it's the first one you reach from flat, flat Cheshire and I already have a 4x4 for the hillier side of my life :)

If there's any difference that anyone individually believes is more important between them (perhaps the cup holders are rubbish or door handles stick out or whatever) these can all be important considerations! ;)

Just for clarity, can you confirm that you're looking for comments on the difference between pre- and post-facelift (2006 onwards) versions of the S211 (2002-2009). Newcomers can sometimes go a little off-piste when they describe the five generations of E class.

It would help to know your thoughts on budget and confirmation that you're looking for diesel.

Mercedes_E-Klasse_T-Modell_%28S211%29_Avantgarde_Sportpaket_Facelift_20090717_front.JPG

Personally, I wouldn't get hung up on whether it was a pre- or post-facelift car, I'd be more interested in spec and condition.

The facelift car gets TomTom Live Traffic (if it has COMAND) and the indicator & cruise control stalks swap position, but other than that there's not much that changed in the interior. The exterior lost the somewhat anachronistic "Ponton" creases over the rear arches which cleans up the rear quarters significantly, but it also lost the traditional front grill and bonnet star. The facelift LED headlamps are a level above the Xenon's on the pre-facelift car, but imo not a deal-breaker. The ride and handling of the cars is more affected by whether it's the SE/Avantgarde or Sport than whether it's pre- or post-facelift.

And the facelift lost the dreaded SBC brakes! There were lots of detailed under the skin changes also- On the estate its possible the rear self leveling suspension was improved- basic design would remain the same but components may have been sourced differently or the control electronics recalibrated?? The later cars had larger wheels /lower profile tyres which may have improved the handling at the expense of ride comfort?

Thanks for all your swift replies :)
You're right Mike, I haven't go the hang of the more modern models and chassis numbers yet, I'll look them over. You've hit the nail on the head though its the S211. I'm not hung up on diesel/petrol issue - I don't generally prefer diesel cars, but the mpg is a payback that pretty much balances it out. I'll have to avoid the largest engines though as I'm probably going to be doing 15k/year and there's just to much traffic around to enjoy the power (so I have a bike for that).

I will certainly put condition top of the list, quickly followed by spec and price - I would like sat nav but I'm told the heated seats are compulsory Phil. I feel like I should be aiming towards the Avantgarde - our roads are not really maintained that well and I'd rather lean towards increased traction.

Are the brakes really that dreaded Graeme? Again, not driving into things or off the road are both high up my list of priorities!! ;)

I had a late pre-facelift 211 for 5 years and didn't experience any major issues.

The electrics would throw various minor wobblies from time to time but nothing serious - just odd glitches which would vanish as soon as they would appear. The wiring loom was supposedly improved on the facelift and they stopped robot installation and reverted to humans.

In theory SBC might be an issue on a pre-facelift as there is apparently a finite number of times you can apply the brakes before the counter hits its limit. Although I got to 145k without that happening. And I hear you can actually reset the counter these days anyway.

The steering/handling was apparently tightened up on the facelift but I went onto a 212 so can't comment.

They are great cars. Suppose it makes sense to get into a facelift if you can because the cost differential won't be much. On the other hand if you find a peach of a pre-facelift go for it.

And the facelift lost the dreaded SBC brakes!

OK, so I read around a little about the SBC pump and its counter, that I'd have to get it replaced if the counter goes too far and it'll be at least £1k at a garage (although I see also that Sinspeed recondition them which would could be more cost-effective). Although the mechanical aspect appears accessible and fairly straightforward, I certainly don't have the necessary kit to undertake the work myself from an electrical perspective.
I could get someone to read the counter before buying the car - but I don't know who I'd find to do that at a car sales centre. So really it's a case of factoring a £1000 repair into the negotiations.

unless they're rubbish in use as well?!

wikiquote:-
The W211 was updated in 2006 for the 2007 model year, to address quality and technical issues raised by earlier models.[19] There was new standard and optional equipment, which enabled the W211 to hold its own against its competitors. Sensotronic was dropped due to customer complaints about its software, while Pre-Safe (w/o autonomous braking) was made standard. The announced vehicle was unveiled in 2006 New York International Auto Show.[20] In total, 29 model variants were available, with 16 Saloons and 13 Estates. New standard equipment included PRE-SAFE active protection, NECK-PRO head restraints, flashing brake lights, tyre pressure monitor. The optional Intelligent Light System included bi-xenon headlamps and 5 different lighting functions. The bodies were restyled including the front grill, rear view mirror, redesigned headlamps, front spoiler, rear lights and steering wheel.[21]

SBC is fine but yes it is something else to go wrong... The only really important thing apart from that on the facelift is model dependent if you were interested in an E500 as the engine size went from 5.0 to 5.5 with an increase to 382 odd BHP and a hefty upping of performance. Pretty rare mind, but really nice cars if you can find one.

I've had both - two pre-facelift AMGs (fabulous performance, but pricey and very thirsty), a pre-facelift in-line six 320 diesel (very reliable, but very agricultural, engine), a facelift V6 petrol and my current facelift V6 320 diesel. The SBC works well, but the brake pedal is wooden and insensitive; I prefer the non-SBC brakes, and they work perfectly well too.

The Sport package suspension on the facelift is quite stiff, but not enough to be harsh. Full ABC suspension is very good, but can be rather expensive to fix if it goes wrong, and all the estates have self-levelling rear suspension anyway.

Heated seats are pretty ubiquitous; you won't see too many higher-spec versions without them. If you can find a very late facelift with COMAND, it will have COMAND NTG2.5, which is much superior to the earlier version; you can tell easily because the NTG2.5 has an SD card slot. I wouldn't let it be a deal-breaker, though.

Pre-facelift and facelift versions are much the same to drive, though the later seven-speed automatic gearbox is much better than the old five-speed. The W211 is a nice place to be; comfortable, quiet, classy - and the interior is very 'Mercedes'. The W212 (I had a facelift E350 diesel) is rather more sanitised; more modern, efficient, but a bit characterless, really.

Last edited:
I had a pre-facelift S211 E500 Elegance which was joyous. I still regret selling it because it reached the heady heights of 70k.

I can't really contribute on facelift features but I would say that provenance, servicing, and care are crucial to purchase. There's an enormous difference between a well maintained car and something well-used. The pages of this forum tell stories of people buying cars with good intention which end up with a page full of issues to be fettled.

The second point is that although everyone "loves" the look of the Avantgarde with bigger wheels on slightly stiffer suspension, the Elegance on softer suspension and smaller wheels "arguably" gives a smoother ride on the UK's potholed roads. But that's all down to personal taste - drive them on your roads and form your own view.

Good luck with your search.

think the 7 speed gearbox came in way before the facelift. Cert

Sorry hit the button by mistake. I think the 7 speed gearbox came in way before the facelift. Certainly my 04 E500 had the 7 speed and it is a great box. Not sure which models got it although I know all the 55k cars had to stick with the 5 speeder and the E63 was introduced with less torque so it could use the 7 speed auto whilst they developed one that could take huge torque numbers. I now have a 5 speed in the cls55 and I do miss the E500s 7 speed, not because of the number of ratios the 55k doesn't need more than 5 , but just because its a much newer and therefore technologically a much smoother more sophisticated affair. Get a 7 speed if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom