3rd rear brake light W209 COUPE 2006

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mariuss

Car
CLK C 209
Hi everyone,
My 3rd rear brake light had stopped working. This is the LED brake light from the boot. Had anyone experienced the same problem and does anyone have an idea on how to solve this problem

VERY Common that they fail.

They either crack and fall apart, or the LEDs fail.

Just see here: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/130251-2003-clk-c209-3rd-brake-light-leds.html

Here is a DIY - Third brake light replacement DIY - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Wouldn't waste my time attempting to fix the unit / repair the LEDs - Are you getting an error on the MF Display?

Here's one on eBay - Mercedes-Benz CLK LED 3rd brake light | eBay

But I have seen dealers selling them as low as £60.

As above, very common problem.

It is a sealed unit, replace with new one from the dealer

Replaced ours last year. Not a difficult job. Clearly a common problem as my local dealer had 6 in stock.

depends how tight you are but the usual cause of failure is a break in the LED array circuit caused by brittle solder and banging the boot down. Anyway if you want to fix it you have to carefully cut the red lens off to remove the array. The usual break is at the small resistor which is soldered to the circuit board. Bit of solder some glue and a lot of patience and it will work again. Its an LED so what can go wrong?

£68 from MB. did mind 2 months ago. takes about 30mins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom