3rd row of seats - Vito 639

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UgandanMorris

Car
Vito 113 CDI
Hi Guys

I have an XLWB 113 Vito dueliner (639) and im looking to add a 3rd row of seats to essentially turn it into a traveliner.

Now i know this topic has been covered a million times already so I apologise but i just want to clarify the documentation side of the modification.

The question is: do I notify the insurance company of the mod or have the dueliner code replaced with traveliner on the data card at MB and tell insurance company its a traveliner with no mod? I'll be using geniune MB parts etc so it will look every bit a traveliner.

Next question: if i do tell them its a traveliner, wont they just check my updated V5 and determine that its a modified dualiner and charge me a fortune?

Thanks

Would MB change the data card if they haven't carried out the mod?
Would MB carry out this mod?
Would the cost of such be beyond reasonable?

Have you considered exchanging for a Viano?
There were 2 periods of registration where the N (rather than M) category enjoyed a significant tax advantage, is yours? That would be a big consideration if it is regarding an exchange.
But would a Vito lose its N category if the mod were carried out?

The Viano is a nicer place to be.

Thanks for your reply m80

In answer to your quetions:

I work for MB so the mod itself and the relevent data card modifications wouldnt be a problem.

I have considered buying a viano or vito traveliner but the dueliner i have has really low mileage and is in such great condition i'd be a fool to sell it. Particularly when the 447 vito isnt quite (in my opinon of course) as well built.

The whole M & N catorgry question is a good one, anyone got the answer to that?

Cheers

Have you asked your insurers ? I know you will probably be met with blank stares, but this is probably the most important part of this 'modification' . No point doing the change if you can not get it insured or the cost of insurance goes through the roof.

Bearing in mind you work for MB, you have a hell of an advantage.
An updated data card, I would have thought, removes the insurance 'modification' question. In the event the VIN should mean that effectively it being a change isn't apparent.

I don't know how to clarify the N to M query, Now safe to assume yours is N, but what would be the 'possible' tax penalty.

Otherwise, go for it and good look.

I'll give the insurance company a ring on monday to see what they say, dreading it though 😬

I guess the only thing I'm concerned about is if insurers check with dvla and find a record of the modification after I've stated it has no modifications. They will surely see the change in seating capacity and vehicle catagory from N1 to M1?

Thanks for the feedback 👍

Are you adding the rear side windows as well as the 3rd row seating? Cutting big holes in the body is a bit more significant than bolting in seat rails, and I'd be surprised if MB would support/approve this.

I'm pretty sure it will be classed as a modified vehicle, which after all it would be. Insurers would have no way of knowing whether the changes (including safety-critical things like seat fixings and seat belt mounts) were really done to factory standards.

Is your Dualiner a five seater (two front seats) or six seater (three front seats)? If the latter and you add three more seats to give nine in total then AFAIK it would then be classed as a minibus, which could have licence etc. implications. Vianos avoided this by only being available with eight seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom