4:10am smash and grab :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Well, it had to happen.

The Crossfire is going back to the leasing company on Wednesday next week, and just when I thought things were going really well.....I was awoken by the sound of breaking glass and the car alarm at 4:10 this morning.

I sleep lightly enough to bolt into action at any time, and managed to get to the bedroom window as the last of the glass was hitting the ground, only to see a little b*stard with his head in my passenger's side window. He was dressed in a hoodie and tracksuit pants (now there's a surprise) and was intent on getting himself something. He must vote for Red Ken, as he was on his bike for a rapid getaway. :)

Managed to bellow out an almighty OI at him which stopped him dead in his tracks (keep in mind we are still about 4 seconds into the ordeal here!). He knew not to look at me and got on his bike rather smartly before disappearing into the night.

Went down to take a look, and there was glass everywhere. I cannot believe just how many pieces of glass you can get from just one window. He'd also managed to scratch the paintwork and cut some leather with his efforts.

I decided not to get angry about it and just laughed about it. Managed to tape some plastic bags over the window to keep out the rain looming above.

Thinking about what to do, I called the police who recorded the crime and advised that their policy is not to attend and that I should get it fixed and cleaned up. They asked if anything was missing - something I hadn't thought about at this stage......

I went back out to the car to take a look and realised that the only thing he'd managed to get was the charger cable for the TomTom Go. Almost fell over laughing out loud. :)

Spent 45 minutes with the vaccuum cleaner from 7am making sure that the interior was back to immaculate. What a chore in a narrow street with lots of two way traffic with people abusing you.

Next priority was to work out what to do with the car regarding window repairs. Called Autoglass, who were very helpful and advised that my local branch would call me after 8am. I called Chrysler about the part, and they mentioned that there was one in the country available in 24 hours (thought I would pass this on to Autoglass). Autoglass called me around 9:30 and told me that my new WINDSCREEN would be a couple of weeks. I managed to point out that it was in fact the door glass that was in need of repair and that it was available. Long story short, Autoglass now have my car until about Friday, as I wasn't keen to leave it on the street with a window missing.

Other police called later to discuss and were horrified that I had cleaned everything up and taken the car to Autoglass for repairs. They wanted to come and see the car untouched and look for blood, etc. Turns out the copper who took my report at 4:25 ad absolutely no idea (which was clear at the time). The nice lady PC was going to blast the morning shift people for advising me to destroy their crime scene! She asked about CCTV cameras in my street, and..... whilst talking to the PC on the phone I also managed to lock myself out.

What a day!

I'm so sorry to hear that Scott - what a horrible experience. At least the scumbag didn't manage to obtain much of value to himself. :mad:

Hope it gets sorted out ok.

Will

It does make you laugh when, despite their efforts (and the subsequent damage to your car) they get away with naff all.

2 come to my mind in recent history:

The first was my friend's 520i. One of the local finest smashed the window to steal the plumbed in car phone. We found it 20 mins later, hanging out of the driver's window, as he had spectacularly failed to work out how to unplug it from the cradle.

The second was the theft of a company laptop a few years back. Being in use around 8 hours a day for several years, on and off the power supply, the battery was somewhat knackered, and so had to be left in the car wired to the car power supply, and hidden under the floor mat. Returned to the car one day to find the passenger window smashed, and keyboard keys all over the car park. The would be thief had failed to unplug the power supply, and thus had dropped the laptop as he tried to run away from the car.

To make matters worse, it was a crappy 386.

Still, ideally it shouldn't happen to any of us.

Really sorry to hear, I know what it's like from personal experience (twice! - both Fords...) and yes you're right, the glass gets everywhere. Police as usual full of great advice.

Anyway, good you can laugh about it :rolleyes:

Take care

Will said:
I'm so sorry to hear that Scott - what a horrible experience.

I second that mate.

At least the scumbag didn't manage to obtain much of value to himself..

Or take away your sense of humour.

Keep smiling - what goes around comes around, hopefully he'll die a terrible death :devil:

Glad to see you could laugh it off Scott perhaps it's the only way.

HOODIES should be BAND,(people wearing them think they are invisible) I don't condone violance, but wouldn't it have been nice to have got behind It, and showed him/her who was boss, WHACK! B@st@rd.

Sorry to hear about your missfortune.

Paul

:( Sorry to hear this Scott.......

Hopefully he'll get in a fight at the weekend and get a seeing to, you'll never know, but it might make you feel better to think it ......

Grrrrrrrr..... annoying or what !

Hope it doesn't cost too much to sort out.

S.

Really sorry to hear about this Scott :(

Good to hear you can laugh about it though, I doubt I could remain as calm as you are. Hope the theiving little scumbag hasn't cost you too much in repairs.

S.

Nice attitude chuck - what a scumbag though. Hope he did cut himself and it gets infected and his arms drop off :D

Tough break mate. :crazy:

I suppose you should look out for a Pratt in a Hood looking for a Tom Tom. He probably doesn't even know what it is. :rolleyes:

I bet you would give him a "Tom Tom" if you caught him eh. :D

i wouldn't have shouted "OI," instead i would have run down, dragged him into my flat, stuck his head into a bathtub of water and kept dunking him until i got bored, then called the police

the risk you run if you do this, is the police coming back to arrest you when they find water on the lungs of the thief

it is also wise to coerce the name and address of the thief's dear old mum, so the temptation for the thief to return "in numbers" is greatly diminished

in case you are wondering i speak from experience and from time to time i walk past the thief in my local area who gives me a barely perceptable nod as i go past - imagine his surprise when i asked him if he could procure me dodgy dvds!!! we are almost mates now...

Sorry to hear the bad news, problem is society allows these scun to carry on their discusting acts. One month ago came out to my car some one had smashed into it, leaving broken light and smashed in back wing. This society is full of scum. Dont know about other places but living in london I find cars are always being broken into and having hit and runs on them, it's terrible.

Sorry :(
As sugested I hope the little bastards hands drop off :mad:

Good job you didn't get to the little sod, Its just not worth the grief...

Hope you get it sorted soon :)

Sorry to hear that mate. As a fellow E16 resident I know how you feel. My car was broken in to back in Feb. Seemingly my gated secure car park isn't so gated and secure....

Good luck in getting it sorted.

:) Thanks for all the kind wishes. Looks like the window is an agreed £50, with Autoglass claiming the rest on my insurance. Happy to hear it doesn't affect my NCB as well.

As for the scumbag.....

I heard another alarm this morning, although further away. Grabbed my bike and decided to roam the neighbourhood vigilante style. I found a 13/14 kid on a bike matching my description, wandering about with a mate who was holding a newspaper and was wearing a reflective coat. They were acting very suspisciously for two kids at 6am and I even spotted them casing a couple of cars.

Found a police car in the next street, explained the situation and left them to it. They were VERY interested in speaking with the kid on the bike.

I feel better now.

Scotth said:
..... whilst talking to the PC on the phone I also managed to lock myself out.

What a day!
:D Did you have to break into the house? :D

pammy said:
Nice attitude chuck - what a scumbag though. Hope he did cut himself and it gets infected and his arms drop off :D
Pammy, I didn't realise you had this visious streak.

Scotth said:
Found a police car in the next street, explained the situation and left them to it. They were VERY interested in speaking with the kid on the bike.

I feel better now.
Well done, you may get some joy when he is caught.

Should do to this scum what the Arabs do.Cut off the hand of a theif.Not many walking around with both hands missing. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom