4-matic in winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony99

Car
C250d 4-matic coupe
Hi all. New member here with a couple of tyre queries. Searched through posts for relevant info so apologies if missed. Had my first merc (2017 C250d 4-matic coupe) a month now and loving it, but thinking ahead. We do get affected by snow up here and I'm wondering whether I'll need winter tyres or whether the 4-matic system will cope. I've got staggered 19" rims (front 225/40 rear 255/35) and trying to work out which size rims will suit. I'm assuming people will recommend same size all way round but not sure. Grateful for any replies.

I wouldn't rely on 4WD without Winter tyres.

No grip x 2 or no grip x 4 is still no grip...

I have a colleague with an xDrive 420d on 19s and that was hopeless in the snow we had earlier this year. After Winter tyres fitted, the next batch of snow was almost like driving on tarmac!

I'd consider a second set of wheels if you have the space to just swap over and back - unless you plan to wear them out and replace whenever.

Yes, that's what I thought. Had winter tyres on last car and had no issues. I'll need to look a bit deeper into correct rims required.

Accepted wisdom seems to be smaller rims are better for snow, so you might want to consider 17's rather than 19's for your winter set (assuming they'll clear the calipers). Tyres would be cheaper as well!!

I was thinking the same - 17" are the way to go. Only concern is how do I check the clearance around the calipers? Been looking at various wheel sites but not got the answer yet.

Look in the back of your owners manual, it should give recommended winter wheel/tyre sizes.
This. - It should tell you the correct size and offset to fit over the brakes etc.

It's probably going to be 225/45/R17 because that seems to be the Mercedes standard winter tyre size.

Thanks for all the info guys. I have actually RTFM but it doesn't give any details regarding tires apart from recommending M+S markings. The standard winter tire from PobodY ties in with what I've found online. Believe I don't need to worry about TPMS on winter wheels on this model (2017 c205 coupe) as it's fitted as part of the ABS, or have I got that totally wrong?

Agree with the comments above about winter tyres - 4WD or 2WD will still lack grip in snow on summer tyres. In my experience, better a 2WD car with winters rather than a 4WD with summers. As for the TPMS, I bought a set of alloys for my winter tyres (as above, went for 17" instead of in my case 18") and needed to get TPMS sensors on them. Does your car have the TPMS system that tells you the actual pressures, or is it the kind that senses changes in the tyre circumference, in which case you won't need sensors on the wheels.

I get pressures on display in kPa (divide by 100 for bars). Just had front tires changed at Halfords (yes I know - shudder) and pressures still read correctly. There was no mention of changing or setting up sensors with them so I assume they're fitted to the hub?

I have a magazine with a winter tyre test in it that took place in (I think) Milton Keynes indoor snow slope.
Bottom line is they used two identical Ford baby SUV's one 4x4 the other FWD.

The 4x4 got virtually no where on 'summer' tyre and the FWD ran rings around it on winter tyres.

When they fitted winter tyres to the 4x4 it drove to the top of the ski slope , turned around and drove back down again.

Not a massively scientific test using a car with a very basic 4x4 drivetrain but the results were very clear.

Accepted wisdom seems to be smaller rims are better for snow, so you might want to consider 17's rather than 19's for your winter set (assuming they'll clear the calipers). Tyres would be cheaper as well!!

I read it was narrower was better rather than the rim size. I'm guessing you tend to have wider tyres on larger rims though to get the same rolling radius with smaller ARs.

I have a magazine with a winter tyre test in it that took place in (I think) Milton Keynes indoor snow slope.
Bottom line is they used two identical Ford baby SUV's one 4x4 the other FWD.

The 4x4 got virtually no where on 'summer' tyre and the FWD ran rings around it on winter tyres.
I've seen something similar with a WRX and some other car (let's say a Focus) on the flat. - The AWD Subaru gets moving, but is easily out-paced by the other car.

Obviously smarter transmission controllers can adapt to snow and improve the performance, but as above 25% of all the torque with 0 grip is still 0 grip.

I've seen something similar with a WRX and some other car (let's say a Focus) on the flat. - The AWD Subaru gets moving, but is easily out-paced by the other car.

Obviously smarter transmission controllers can adapt to snow and improve the performance, but as above 25% of all the torque with 0 grip is still 0 grip.
I will try to find the magazine and re read the article, but I think at one point the car made an heroic climb of about 16 meters but then slid down backwards carried by momentum past the point where it set off from. So technically going backwards on its summer tyres.

Was it this one?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Agree with the comments above about winter tyres - 4WD or 2WD will still lack grip in snow on summer tyres. In my experience, better a 2WD car with winters rather than a 4WD with summers. As for the TPMS, I bought a set of alloys for my winter tyres (as above, went for 17" instead of in my case 18") and needed to get TPMS sensors on them. Does your car have the TPMS system that tells you the actual pressures, or is it the kind that senses changes in the tyre circumference, in which case you won't need sensors on the wheels.
If your dash does not have the option to display the actual tyre pressure readings for each wheel, then you do not have TPMS sensors inside the tyres, just the basic ABS-based TPMS system that alerts you if one tyres has lower pressure than the others.

I read it was narrower was better rather than the rim size. I'm guessing you tend to have wider tyres on larger rims though to get the same rolling radius with smaller ARs.

Correct. Narrower tyre (think contact patch with road/surface) plus smaller rim size (think more air cushion inside tyre) along with full winter specification tyre (rather than eg mud + snow) is the best combination...........naturally, for extreme conditions a snow tyre could be used (I do not own any so cannot comment how good they may be).

Hi all. New member here with a couple of tyre queries. Searched through posts for relevant info so apologies if missed. Had my first merc (2017 C250d 4-matic coupe) a month now and loving it, but thinking ahead. We do get affected by snow up here and I'm wondering whether I'll need winter tyres or whether the 4-matic system will cope. I've got staggered 19" rims (front 225/40 rear 255/35) and trying to work out which size rims will suit. I'm assuming people will recommend same size all way round but not sure. Grateful for any replies.

Tony, Welcome!

I have the same Tyres Sizes as you and had a couple of weeks of driving in the snow earlier in the year, driving forward I found no problems with normal/summer Tyres, but trying to reverse up the small incline into my drive! forget it! :eek: As the rear Wheels met the Snow first, traction disappeared!:wallbash:

I'm monitoring this Post with interest as I too am looking for Winter Tyres this year!

I changed my 265x45x20 tyres on my Ml350 last November on the front and put Continental contact sports on them and what a vast inprovement. I had absolutely no problem on grip and watched other 4 X 4's struggle. I now have them all round.

i used it in lowest gear as possible in low ratio when needed and it was great on hills and tracks etc.

My m8 paid £1000 for winter tyres on his XF and it was still lethal to the point he used to drive his wifes old Astra.

I wanted Michelin all weather but apprently they dont make them in my size.

Gh3382

used vredestein winters for 30 years in the highlands scotland

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom