4 possible drivers, non-involvement & hit and run.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mobb

Car
CLK55 AMG - E92 M3
My car was parked outside Tesco's enterance as I had walked into the shop to get some lunch. I had a friend in the passenger seat who stayed in the car and the other friend came In with me.

I then came out of Tesco's to see my friend standing at the rear of my car stating that someone had reversed into my car with their silver ford galaxy and driven off without stopping, he also said he had a description and the plate..

I thought great, had a look and it's about £1500 worth of damage including parking sensors... Got back in the car and chased after the guy as he had apparently only just left. My friend described the driver to be a male and 40 - 50 ish balding and the passenger the same but female and blonde. He also said that the driver looked back quickly whilst driving away to see wether or not his plate had been taken indicating that he knew what he had done.

Went straight to the police station after getting cut up by a lorry and not being able to follow to report the incident and following that reported it to my insurance company.

There are according to the police four possible drivers for the car and one of which has already claimed he was not involved.. Tesco's CCTV that could see everything apparently not working on that day.

So here I am with a car that's damaged to the value of £1500 and at the moment one out of four drivers claiming that they were not involved.

Dont know where to go from here.. Other than to let the police do their job?

Advice would be appreciated.

Let your insurance company take the hassle. You have a witness.

They just continue to pass the buck and try and get out of it.. Saying that they will put the claim down as my fault if I claim for it before the police investigation is over.

They just continue to pass the buck and try and get out of it.. Saying that they will put the claim down as my fault if I claim for it before the police investigation is over.

The insurance company are supposed to be acting in your best interests. Find a better company after the issue is resolved and write to the CEO of the company explaining why you feel it necessary to use one of their competitors.

Examine the small print very carefully... use a lawyer if necessary, especially if you have got legal expenses cover within your policy. If the car is unroadworthy by dint of say... a rear light cluster out, therefore fitted and not working, insist on a courtesy car and a repair in a timely manner. If you deem the car to be unroadworthy for any other reason, the same thing applies. The event was clearly not your fault and as such, it was beyond your control.

It is unacceptable to blackmail another person for pecuniary gain or by way of threat and your insurance company are committing an offence when they do this. Let them know this in no uncertain terms... that you intend to pursue this through the law.

Being them to heel quickly and start as you mean to carry on. What a bunch of crooks. :wallbash:

Are you not obligated to tell the police who was driving on a particular day if they ask ?

Otherwise , when a speeding ticket came through you could just say 'Wasn't me , could have been any one of five of us !'

Are you not obligated to tell the police who was driving on a particular day if they ask ?

Otherwise , when a speeding ticket came through you could just say 'Wasn't me , could have been any one of five of us !'

They have asked and I have given them the description which apparently doesnt match that of the first driver they have spoken to.. That leaves the other three.. Just have to wait until the police have spoken to the rest.

The insurance company are supposed to be acting in your best interests. Find a better company after the issue is resolved and write to the CEO of the company explaining why you feel it necessary to use one of their competitors.

Examine the small print very carefully... use a lawyer if necessary, especially if you have got legal expenses cover within your policy. If the car is unroadworthy by dint of say... a rear light cluster out, therefore fitted and not working, insist on a courtesy car and a repair in a timely manner. If you deem the car to be unroadworthy for any other reason, the same thing applies. The event was clearly not your fault and as such, it was beyond your control.

It is unacceptable to blackmail another person for pecuniary gain or by way of threat and your insurance company are committing an offence when they do this. Let them know this in no uncertain terms... that you intend to pursue this through the law.

Being them to heel quickly and start as you mean to carry on. What a bunch of crooks. :wallbash:

thanks for that, I will be changing my insurance company after this is dealt with, decided that a while ago.

I think that only applies to Road Traffic Offences.

The problem here is that a Tesco carpark is private land.

They have asked and I have given them the description which apparently doesnt match that of the first driver they have spoken to.. That leaves the other three.. Just have to wait until the police have spoken to the rest.

thanks for that, I will be changing my insurance company after this is dealt with, decided that a while ago.

Create an audit trail of paper and e-mail communications.

Whenever you phone the insurer, tell them you are recording that phone call for evidential purposes. Time and date your calls and always obtain the name of every person with whom you are dealing. Send an immediate letter, detailing the content of every call after the call ends and tell them that unless the content which you have recorded is disputed by them (in writing) within 5 working days, that you will assume that they accept it as a true record of the phone conversations so recorded.

Do not accept the usual help desk script/blurb from any help-desk drone and always try to speak with the senior person on duty at the time. Ask for their name and a direct telephone line number of them and your assigned claim handler. Make it clear that each letter you send to your insurer will cost them postage and a nominal £100 per letter to reflect your wasted time.

If you have legal cover as part of your insurance contract, do hire a lawyer (make sure they are very expensive) and start sending formally correct legal letters... particularly with regards to your insurer's pathetic attempt to blackmail you. This is the very minimum nuisance you should be prepared to make of yourself. (in my opinion)

sotto voce: I don't mind people trampling over me but I insist that they have to ask my permission before they can do so with impunity. :devil:

There is a witness who has stated that this vehicle was driven into Mobb's parked car , thus causing the damage - this can also be verified by the fact that the other vehicle must have suffered some damage also .

Since the other driver left the scene and , presumably , has not reported the incident to the police within 24 hours , he is guilty of failing to stop ( the fact that he looked back over his shoulder when leaving the scene means that he cannot use the defence that he did not realise he had been involved in a collision ) .

Unless the registered keeper had reported the vehicle stolen ( presumably he has not ) then he is required by law to reveal who the driver was when asked - failure to do this is another offence .

The act of reversing into , and damaging , another vehicle could also be considered careless driving .

At this stage , it would be reasonable to expect the police to visit the registered keeper at the address where the vehicle is kept , and inspect it for damage consistent with the reported incident , then to demand to know who was driving .

If neccessary , your witness could be asked to pick the driver out of an identity parade ( although extremely unlikely to be done in a case like this ) . If none of the four named drivers were driving , then either another person was driving with the owner's permission , and the owner ought to be able to name that person , or an uninsured driver was driving , which is yet another offence , and possibly why the name is not forthcoming .

Another option is to obtain the registered keeper's name and address via DVLA , and have somebody else ( do not do this part yourself so that no allegations of harassment can arise ) go round and photograph the vehicle , showing any damage - this will show that the other vehicle was involved in a collision .

All of the above should be followed up by your insurer - being 'hit by 3rd party' can never be 'put down as your fault' , but if they try this then all can still be restored when the guilty party is found and brought to task . You could always raise a small claims action against the registered keeper , holding him responsible for the damage to your car , unless he names the driver - a judge is likely to frown upon any refusal or inability to name the driver .

Although not a fan of such people , you could always tell your tale to an accident management company and see if they want to take it on :devil:

Spoke to the officer dealing with it and he says that all possible drivers have been identified and interviewed and are all saying they were not involved.

The officer said that the roundabout that follows on the from the only exit from Tesco's car park in heavily watched and surround by CCTV so he is going to get all of the CCTV, find my car using the given time and then go 10 - 15 minutes either way of seeing my car on the CCTV to find the silver ford galaxy.. Once that's been done hopefully successfully we can move forward.

The officer said that the roundabout that follows on the from the only exit from Tesco's car park in heavily watched and surround by CCTV so he is going to get all of the CCTV, find my car using the given time and then go 10 - 15 minutes either way of seeing my car on the CCTV to find the silver ford galaxy.. Once that's been done hopefully successfully we can move forward.

I hope you're not driving like a loon...:rolleyes:

Don't any of the interviewed drivers look like the description given?

No I wasn't.. :devil: ... No I seriously wasn't.

Apparently none of the people the officer interviewed match the description.. But if he sees the silver galaxy followed by me at the roundabout it's going to be a bit convenient isn't it.. :rolleyes:

Spoke to the officer dealing with it and he says that all possible drivers have been identified and interviewed and are all saying they were not involved.

Hope it goes well for you .

Is the owner denying two facts.
1. The car wasn't in Tescos.
2. He wasn't driving it

Is there any damage to his vehicle?
Who is insured to drive his vehicle. If it's one driver only. Hmmm

Have police examined his vehicle?

The car was a 03 plate Ford Galaxy, the owner is denying being there and reversing into my car.. I guess the CCTV will catch him out won't it.

I can't be sure if there is damage to his car as I didn't see it.. But that's one thing I haven't brought up to the officer so I'll raise that when i speak to him. I'm unsure wether or not his vehicle has been checked over, will ask the officer.

The car was a 03 plate Ford Galaxy, the owner is denying being there and reversing into my car.. I guess the CCTV will catch him out won't it.

I can't be sure if there is damage to his car as I didn't see it.. But that's one thing I haven't brought up to the officer so I'll raise that when i speak to him. I'm unsure wether or not his vehicle has been checked over, will ask the officer.

How badly damaged is your car?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom