4000km - Road Trip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ABond007

Car
W211 E280 Elegance
So my leave starts tomorrow and i will be taking a long trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town (South Africa)
Expecting to be doing about 4000 - 5000km for the holiday and this will be the 1st long distance i have had the opportunity to do in the car since i got it in November last year (E280 Elegance)
Although she seems a bit thirsty on the town driving, but as soon as you hit the open road she is surprisingly economical.

I will update with Pictures as the holiday progresses.

Direct or via the coast?

Sounds great - are you doing the direct route (via Bloemfontaine), or taking the coastal route via Port Elizabeth?

Will look forward to photos and trip reports.

Are the HIACE's (High Impact African Culling Equipment) still killing more than AK47's, as they were 20 years ago, when I lived there?

Great trip - and right time of year to be doing it.

will Be doing the direct route there with a few stops in between, The road has now become a major Highway and in the last 20 years hugely improved, hoping not to get to many road stops (due to roadworks). coming back i have not decided what route to take, was thinking of coming back threw the Western Cape but that's normally about a 17 hour drive.
I'm really interested in seeing what a 10+ year old car can do do on the long road.
in My opinion ( which is really limited) the W211 is probably one of the better looking Mercedes for me (yes i am biased) but what really attracted me to this car was how comfortable she was and still is. What a pleasure to drive this car.

How much is a litre/gallon of petrol in that part of the world?

I'm really interested in seeing what a 10+ year old car can do do on the long road.

Did 1600miles each way on mine and yes they can munch miles and mine is over 20 year old

Very envious. Have done the Garden Route a few times ( Cape Town - Knysna ). A very beautiful Country and fantastic people, one of my favourite places.

As Promised an update to the trip, regrettably the holiday was cut short by 1 week due to business, so could not do the mileage as was intended. Overall there is not 1 complaint about the car as it was absolutely flawless the whole journey
1st Full Up on 937km at 7.9l/100km (on journey down)
1st Full Up on 939km at 8.2l/100km (on journey back)
Total was 3347km at 8.7l/100km

32mpg sounds good

32mpg sounds good. How much is fuel in South Africa these days?

With R17 to the the £ - fuel must feel pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom