4000rpm limit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

proser

Car
W210 E320Cdi Estate
noticed occasionally over the past week that the car (W210 320cdi) wont rev past 4000rpm whilst driving.
If you take it up steadily then it will stutter and then drop off. But if you drive it hard then the engine seems to just die - well not quite but the revs drop to about 2500.

Normal driving is fine, mpg is not affected, kick down and general power is good apart from when you hit 4000rpm.

Ideas/solutions ??

Take it the air filter is in good condition so the engine can breathe and the intercooler / turbo hoses are all secure ?

Interesting.

Have you had it on a Star yet?

Not yet. Was looking at getting an Autel Maxidiag EU702 for this sort of thing :eek:
Also away at work until Thursday morning, unless someone can recommend a garage with STAR close to sheffield

Take it the air filter is in good condition so the engine can breathe and the intercooler / turbo hoses are all secure ?

Air filter was replaced 7k miles ago. I would expect a more noticeable performance issue overall if the hoses were not secure

i had a rover desil that used to do that, it was the fuel filter

caused by dirty fuel

i had a rover desil that used to do that, it was the fuel filter

Well that was done at the same time as the air filter, as part of it's last B service, but worth replacing for the cost.

Been told that it could be the MAF, this was replaced with a genuine one last month cos I felt that it was a little flat and was fine as had to give plenty of revs when on the A361, in Devon, towing a fully laden twin axle caravan up the hills.
I'll be swapping this back to the old one and see if it's still there.

would make sense for it to be the MAF. The old Rover MAFs do the same thing until you practically have half the power.

unplugged the MAf on the way home to see, but it wouldn't go above 3000rpm as it was running a default safety map :doh:

Will be trying the old one in the morning

Well I replaced the MAF - no difference. Replace the fuel filter - slightly better, starts to faulter around 4200rpm where before it was just before 4000.
Got it book in for diagnostics first thing in the morning - thanks to a recommendation from flanaia1 - hopefully that will show something up.

Well I replaced the MAF - no difference. Replace the fuel filter - slightly better, starts to faulter around 4200rpm where before it was just before 4000.

Is 4200rpm not the max. power point anyway?

I had it close to the 5000 last month, when towing a big caravan up several steep hills.

I had it close to the 5000 last month, when towing a big caravan up several steep hills.

That will be an ATF change due then.......

changed the ATF, filter etc and level correct as got the right dip stick. This was last week, but sure I had this issue before then. :confused:

Just done a further test and the car will do exactly the same thing at standstill. Which I believe that there is a rev limiter for when the car is stationary.
So what ever controls that must have gone bad and therefore is not registering that the car is driving along.
Or am I totally wrong ??

Any codes on it Mark?

Dont know if you ever had it on your td5 but twice on mine the boost/pressure sensor on the inlet manifold failed, engine revved but was just flat power wise.

Lynall

Well the codes came back as :

P1354-032 Synchronization between cranckshaft and camshaft Plausibility

Well this one came back as soon as engine was started, and i think that this is just due to the amount of miles (192k) the engine has done and some slack in the timing chain.

P1403-032 Exhaust gas recirculation Negative control variation [ Exhaust gar recirculation rate is too low ]

I think stat this is the one that is causing the problem, but not sure if this is a sensor failure or just that the egr is totally chocked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom