401k miles E55!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine's a relative spring chicken at 150k ish.

There's a thread on here with a guy who had one with 200k, have seen a few with 200k and I've seen NA '55s with 300k before.

401k at 20mpg would be pretty expensive over here - over £100k in fuel alone with my rough guessing :eek:

It is a shame that such thing as mileage puts people off without even being interested in looking at the car in general.

There are many differently used cars out there, some of the high mileage cars have been maintained to such a high standard, that they excel the lower mileage cars by 'miles'...

It is perception only unfortunately, even saying the above, I am usually unconsciously weary of high mileages....

I do love seeing cars like this. I mean 400k is impressive either way let alone on a high performance car.

I must admit my perception of high mileage cars has change drastically in the last few years. I mean I always knew that cars were capable of high mileage but got the impression they'd drive like their mileage but that's so not the case.

My first 'high' mileage car was a Saab 9-3 1.9tdi which had 134k on it when I bought it and sold with over 140k on it. It still felt solid and everything worked, I then had a higher budget and sold up for a W211 E320 with about 104k on the clock. It now has 111k on it and feels no where near it's 14 years or mileage!

I get the impression that mileage perception is an old school thing. My mum stated, "That's ridiculous" when I told her the mileage on my Saab. My other half's dad thinks anything over 50k is ready for the scrap heap.

High mileage is becoming less and less relevant.

200k is the new 100k?

I think it's a fear of big bills and stuff like that. I mean in the old days cars regularly needed engine work - rebores/head overhauls, stuff like that. 100k cars were often tired or needed major work, they leaked and smoked, rattled and were hard to start etc.

Most modern engines will outlast the rest of the car, and big bills are often from electronics and suspension etc, not really related to mileage as such.

All things being equal you'd choose the car with the lower mileage probably, but for example the 200k mile car on here - people called it out for being high mileage and then this comes along with another 200k on top of that :eek: :D

Even the interior of that car looks no different to any other ~ 15 year old W211 to me? :cool:

I found that 260k on my 944 turbo was the threshold to major top end work. Needed a new head/rad/coolant reservoir and usual belts wp etc. Cost a fortune but its back now and after a damn good clean it looks great and is part of the family.
It does catch up with them in the end even with proper servicing.
For consumables, in which I include clutches, dampers etc does it matter if its the second third or fourth?

Now that's a good investment for retirement age ...
I guess this might only be funny to someone who lived and worked across the pond... 401K

High mileage is becoming less and less relevant.

As is age.....

10 years ago, a 10 year old car had 'poor' safety, few toys, no tech and more often than not, rust!

Today a 10 year old car has most of what is actually needed with genuine reliability if it's been at least serviced and bits replaced as necessary.

Whilst new car sales are soaring, there is still a huge number of 51reg and up, modest cars tootling around with a few more years in them

400k! Good job it's got good seats from the hours that mileage has taken

That's a very good point. Even ten year old cars are modern in many respects.

In fact my W211 from 2003 had a better spec than my other half's old 2013 Focus and hers wasn't base spec. I guess price new differs a bit though haha

The UK environment prevents cars hitting such mileage without massive bills while remaining in great condition...
In the USA, some states can be pretty flat, much favourable climates and due to the lack of roundabouts, the wear on cars is significantly less.. (ie.. a friend of mine is disappointed if he gets less than 60k from a set of tyres!! )

Coupled with the option of doing massive mileage road trips in a straight line... cars will always last longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom