420sl won't turn over

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul13

Car
420sl /190e 2.6
Hi all
My 1986 420 sl died on the motorway last week at first thought the fuel gauge was faulty and it had run out of fuel. After having it towed home and put some fuel in it I now have when you turn the key the fuel pumps on contentious instead of only a few seconds and when turn the key to start the instrument lights stay on but engine doesn't turn over not sure if I have two separate problems or they are connected

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give

Paul

Well there is very little that affects the starter motor so if the engine isnt turning at all its worth looking at the starter.

You say you broke down, have you checked the fan belt is ok? If so is the alternator charging and is there enough juice in the battery?

Thanks for reply I charged battery over night just in case there wasn't enough power left in it and no didn't make a difference

the fuel pump running on just seems odd and I cannot see the link unless there is a power issue somewhere.

Possible ignition switch fault? Although like Jay I don't understand the fuel pump running thing. Try feeding the starter solenoid [ not the starter itself of course!!] with a TEMPORARY direct 12v activation supply from the battery to see if the starter engages. CAUTION make sure the car is in neutral when you do this CHECK ALL YOUR ELECTRICAL EARTHS ALSO ESPECIALLY THE ENGINE EARTH STRAP.

Last edited:
Thanks guys will check starter and switch

Think these were pre EZL cars- they did later have transistor assisted ignition tho but I think advance curves were still taken care of by vacuum diaphragm advance/retard and distributor centrifugal weights?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom