45-65 drinking too much???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the time of inception (1994) The National Lottery was owned by 5 partners: Gtech (who operated the lotteey), De La Rue (who printed the tickets), Cadbury (who distributed the tickets to the corner shops and supermarkets), Racal and ICL (who managed the comms and provided the computing power).

Against this consortium of giant corporations each with decades of experience in their perspective areas of expertise, all Richard Branson had to offer was his entrepreneurial spirit and "Trust me, I'll figure it out", neither of which were very confidence-inspiring.

So, unsurprisingly, Virgin's bid was not accepted...

(Camelot has obviously gone through varoius transformations since 1994).
Didn't Branson offer to do the lottery gratis pledging to give ALL profit to the delegated charities and take out only his operating costs (non profit making) ? Using the whole thing as advertising vehicle for Virgin and (probably) writing that bit off on some sort of a tax ....er...'thing' . Soon after it was granted to Cadburys/Schwepps (initially) and Branson disappeared off the radar, then soon after that Virgin radio was granted FM bands (at that time only the UK government had the power to grant such a thing) . Maybe I just dreamed that bit . Not sure. One thing is sure , the whole national lottery thing is one big scam.

Five a day? Why 5, where does that come from?

Because that's what could be gotten away with in this country. That number per day of fruit and veg that's recommended by government health organisations changes around the world. Some countries it's much higher, some it's even lower than ours.

It's not expected anyone will eat 5, but with a recommendation of 5, we might eat one or two pieces per day, which is much better than nothing.

Didn't Branson offer to do the lottery gratis pledging to give ALL profit to the delegated charities and take out only his operating costs (non profit making) ? Using the whole thing as advertising vehicle for Virgin and (probably) writing that bit off on some sort of a tax ....er...'thing' . Soon after it was granted to Cadburys/Schwepps (initially) and Branson disappeared off the radar, then soon after that Virgin radio was granted FM bands (at that time only the UK government had the power to grant such a thing) . Maybe I just dreamed that bit . Not sure. One thing is sure , the whole national lottery thing is one big scam.
As an anecdote... at the time (1994) one of my clients was a wealthy businessman who was part of a group that submitted a bid for the Lottery (needless to say his group was unsuccessful).

He told me that as part of the bid process he was interviewed by MI5 officers, which was embarrassing because they knew about him more than he actually remembered... including school mates he totally forgot about.

It is not entirely without reason that the National Lottery has been described as a voluntary tax on the poor.

It is not entirely without reason that the National Lottery has been described as a voluntary tax on the poor.
It's the longest running large-scale experiment in humans' inability to claculate odds.

It's the longest running large-scale experiment in humans' inability to claculate odds.
Whenever anyone mentions the National Lottery and odds, the Simpsons' episode where Homer has a crayon he'd rammed up his nose as a child removed from his brain springs to mind :D

I wonder what percentage of the good causes funded by the lottery are the sort of middle class cultural pursuits that are unlikely to benefit the poor. I do think it's a voluntary tax on the poor and I don't think the government should be sponsoring gambling especially when it's run by private enterprise with only a 20% return, however the money is spent.

I wonder what percentage of the good causes funded by the lottery are the sort of middle class cultural pursuits that are unlikely to benefit the poor. I do think it's a voluntary tax on the poor and I don't think the government should be sponsoring gambling especially when it's run by private enterprise with only a 20% return, however the money is spent.
I think there's another angle to it...

People will always bet. Becsuse they do and they will. So providing a governmnet regulated environment (and this also includes licensed bookies) is a safe option that also ensures that the proceeds do not end-up with illegal gangs fueling violent crimes.

It's a bit like the argument in favour of legalising some types of controlled drugs. It will be safer for users, and will at least ensure that the bulk of the cost ends-up in the governmnet coffers, similar to tobacco and alcohol duty and VAT (paying for our NHS, among other things) and not with Colombian drug lords. And of course much less street crime.

The information is on the National Lottery website, wonder no more.

MancMike said:
Does anyone else know what TLVF stands for?

I must admit I got confused in 1986 when someone on Radio Devon & Cornwall said that GHOTI was pronounced FISH; GH as in couGH, O as in wOmen, and TI as in motIOn, so now to hazard a guess at today's conundrum. I quite like a BLT from time to time, so that's the T taken care of, then we have LGBT = Lesbian Gay Bacon Tomato, so just the VF to work on, and I will make a guess based upon my wide knowledge of military TLA'a (three letter abbreviations) and an in vogue word these days is VEGAN, so just F to go and that's easy; FEMINISTS.

All in all, I think it is a FLA with derogatory tones describing the younger generation as gender-confused gay persons rejecting animal products in their diets whilst praising women's rights, either that or it's a new sandwich of tomato, lettuce, Vegemite and fish (must try one).

I said to the man, are you trying to tempt me?
He just smiled, and gave me a Vegemite sandwich.

Are you two drinking too much right now? :p

The information is on the National Lottery website, wonder no more.

Between 2009 and 2017, the amount Camelot gave to "good causes" rose by a whopping 2%.

During the same period their profits rose by 122%.

Is that on their website too ?

Between 2009 and 2017, the amount Camelot gave to "good causes" rose by a whopping 2%.

During the same period their profits rose by 122%.

Is that on their website too ?

Yeah, but:

it-could-be-you.jpg

I think there's another angle to it...

People will always bet. Becsuse they do and they will. So providing a governmnet regulated environment (and this also includes licensed bookies) is a safe option that also ensures that the proceeds do not end-up with illegal gangs fueling violent crimes.

It's a bit like the argument in favour of legalising some types of controlled drugs. It will be safer for users, and will at least ensure that the bulk of the cost ends-up in the governmnet coffers, similar to tobacco and alcohol duty and VAT (paying for our NHS, among other things) and not with Colombian drug lords. And of course much less street crime.

Ummm, this "government regulated environment" allows UNLIMITED gambling in a sweetie shop by anyone 16 years or over. It is the lowest age, highest allowable stake (limitless), and highest allowable payout (inducment) in the UK.

The comparision to drugs would be legalising cannibis, but you could buy cocaine from a government terminal.

Users who are viewing this thread