477 TIRE PRESSURE LOSS WARNER - Is there anything in the valve at all? Or is it purely done by wheel speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sparky1973

Car
2009 CLK 280 7G Auto Cabriolet V6
Hi.. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and searched and cant find a complete answer.

I have a 2009 Mercedes CLK 280 Cabriolet with the AMG sports and styling package, and the 18" AMG wheels, and the 477 tire pressure loss warner.

Problem is, I recently had tyres fitted at a local ish garage. And then parked the car back up for the week due to being on furlough.

Then today I went out and the 'check pressure & reset' warning popped up on the screen while I was driving back.
I did a quick visual of the the tyres from a distance just to check one wasn't obviously flat, and continued my trip home.

Have just checked the tyre pressures, and there was a slight miss match on the rear tyres, but this may have been due to temperatures from driving, so will check again tomorrow morning..
Then I checked the front tyres and realised that one of my original metal valves had been removed and replaced with a rubber valve.

While I have read in a few places that the sensor monitors wheel rotation and not pressure, id just like to be reassured that there was nothing different inside the metal valve they removed,
The garage have asked me to take the car back for them to check, but I don't want to go in screaming and shouting if there's nothing in the valve essential to the monitoring.
I'm still going back to have them replace the valve with a matching one, as now I have got closer to the wheel, it stands out a mile and is p-ing me off.

Has anyone else had a garage do this.. ? They didn't even tell me they cut it off. :(

If you cannot get a pressure display (for each wheel) in the car then it is a rotational sensor.

If you cannot get a pressure display (for each wheel) in the car then it is a rotational sensor.

Many Thanks bud for that bit of info..
I'll have a second dig through the menu system.

I'm fairly certain I have only seen the on off feature, and not any pressures, but wasn't really looking before, as I was only playing with settings after changing the radio for an android, and checking what features still did or didn't work.. (Only the clock setting and sat nav arrows by the looks of it)

Looks like I'm not going to go in screaming at the tyre depot, But I'm still going to insist they replace the valve with a matching high pressure metal one.

Thank You..
Roy

Hi.. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have searched and searched and cant find a complete answer.

I have a 2009 Mercedes CLK 280 Cabriolet with the AMG sports and styling package, and the 18" AMG wheels, and the 477 tire pressure loss warner.

Problem is, I recently had tyres fitted at a local ish garage. And then parked the car back up for the week due to being on furlough.

Then today I went out and the 'check pressure & reset' warning popped up on the screen while I was driving back.
I did a quick visual of the the tyres from a distance just to check one wasn't obviously flat, and continued my trip home.

Have just checked the tyre pressures, and there was a slight miss match on the rear tyres, but this may have been due to temperatures from driving, so will check again tomorrow morning..
Then I checked the front tyres and realised that one of my original metal valves had been removed and replaced with a rubber valve.

While I have read in a few places that the sensor monitors wheel rotation and not pressure, id just like to be reassured that there was nothing different inside the metal valve they removed,
The garage have asked me to take the car back for them to check, but I don't want to go in screaming and shouting if there's nothing in the valve essential to the monitoring.
I'm still going back to have them replace the valve with a matching one, as now I have got closer to the wheel, it stands out a mile and is p-ing me off.

Has anyone else had a garage do this.. ? They didn't even tell me they cut it off. :(

I have a 2010 E Class and when I had my 17's replaced with 18's the tyre place new that they needed to (i) free up each valve carefully and to (ii) refit them in the correct corresponding new wheel in order for that version of TPMS to continue to work.

So, in my case, the measurement of pressure is done in a special TPMS valve.

This sort of thing SCHRADER 3013 Wheel Sensor, tyre pressure control system with nut, with valves buy cheap online

When new tyres are fitted the tyre pressure system should be restarted on the dash, I had to do this every timeI changed the tyres to/from winter tyres.

If three of your wheels have the short rigid metal stub valve (as in post 4), and the fourth has a flexible rubber 'normal' valve, then the grease monkey garage has cocked up and not refitted the pressure sensor to the fourth wheel. Don't go in screaming and shouting (as if any of us would...), but go back and point this out, and ask them to sort it out.

I hope they've still got it lying around somewhere, because they're not cheap, and it has to be the correct part if they have to purchase one; there is more than one type.

Rubber valves measure wheel rotation. Metal valves use tpms. I don't think a 2009 car will use tpms and its possible someone had metal valve stems put in for aesthetic reasons, not the new day 2015 onwards tpms metal valves with batteries.

If they did use tpms in 2009 . Please ignore me.

this discussion might help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom