48 hour test drive in Lexus RX400h

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Lexus RX400h 48 hour test drive

Well I was offered this via an email from www.iii.co.uk so sent off a web application. Within 2 days my local Lexus dealer had called me as we arranged 2 days after Christmas as I was too busy with my wife in hospital to accept. Had to get priorities right… 

First impressions – This is one big car – very comfortable seats – lots of toys – and will be fun to “play with”. Am allowed to do 200 miles so told the dealer I will be doing 250 ish as I have two journeys I need to make – he says no problem.

Day 1. Off to Cheltenham – 25 miles each way across country roads (taking the back road) with some town driving through Cirencester and then Cheltenham.

Been playing with the toys…..Comand from MB is far better than Sat Nav + Bluetooth telephone in Lexus. The phone uses the Bluetooth connection but also the aerial on the phone so the reception for the person on the other end is not so good. In my MB I use Bluetooth and a Motorola V3 kit so also uses the car aerial – much better reception each end.

Sat nav needs a computer degree to use. Hi-fi is wonderful – far better sounds than the MB. Ride is very compliant and smooth – but I’m not overly fond of the CVT gearbox – engine rushes and the speed has to catch up.

Gave it some “welly” on a clear strip and it can certainly go….but saw mpg for this part drop to 4.5 mpg..hmmm

Overall MPG for this day’s trip 32.9 mpg – loved the display telling me what is driving what – but daresay after a few days wouldn’t bother with it.

Day 2. Off to Reading to join Costco – 49 miles up the motorway – driving at a steady 65 – 75 mph.
First major problem raises it head. It is -3C and we have no windscreen washers. They are frozen or have I run out of fluid? No warning lights so assuming fluid is ok. Get to Costco and still no washers – mightly p*ssed off and wife is far from impressed. Especially as passenger’s side is far worse than mine.

Come out of Costco – start it up (well turn on ignition) and use washers – all ok – so it must have been frozen.

Have to be very careful driving around carparks / streets etc as it is on battery and no noise – dangerous for pedestrians who may not have heard me.

Have now mastered sat nav – so plot in route home. Like the way the screen is split and on the right it lists time and distance to service areas / junctions etc. But voice is confusing and doesn’t give directions such as take M4 like MB does.

Cruising very gently back – low on fuel and being too tight to put any more in. Damn need another £5 worth. Total mpg for the day 29 mpg …..hmmm NOT IMPRESSED.

Take the car back early as I want mine for tomorrow’s GTG – Lexus manager asks me what I thought. I asked him why no heated washers? He then said – “ is that a problem for you?” “ the new model in July will have them”. I said – it’s a basic safety issue and asking the price you are and omitting that is a serious flaw. He looked at the floor – crestfallen. I then mentioned the poor mpg today and he said “hybrid drive isn’t designed for motorway driving – best in towns”

So in summary –
Pluses –
Nice seats,
Nice Hifi
Nice lights
Nice ride
Nice toys
Touch screen
Electric rear door
Hmmm that’s it

Negatives
Poor mpg (hybrid hype proven in the flesh – give me diesel anyday)
No heated washer jets – serious issue in a car of this price
Poor telephone system – would want a rSAP Bluetooth if I went down this route.
Sat Nav confusing to use (but I suppose one would get used to it)
Over priced – and value will fall out of bed as this is the “run out” model (quote from manager)

Conclusion – not enough to sway me away from MB.

I drove the RX300 before choosing my ML, just prefered the ML.

29mpg doesn't sound good given how much extra you probably pay for the h

I can get 28mpg out of a 3.7 auto Petrol.

It will drop like a stone probably a great buy after a year old.

Have you tried a new ML? if your after a SUV? what else is on your list.

Thanks for the write up, a practical test and interesting comments.
I was a Lexus driver in the 90's for six years and I had a new LS460 for a day prior to getting the S Class.
The one fatal flaw in that car was the response time in the 8 speed gearbox, I couldn't live with that. You'll know how well the 320CDI and the Mercedes 7 speed work together (with the right software!)
Lexus generally have not kept up with the advances in the Mercedes range over the last 10 years and your accurate comments reflect my views.

Silent running is a problem for pedestrians. I have nearly been flattened a few times by Toyota hybrids in London.

Silent running is a problem for pedestrians. I have nearly been flattened a few times by Toyota hybrids in London.

IIRC Lotus produced a sound generator to overcome this problem - variety of different sounds, like a V8 for example.

Hmm... shirley you have to keep your wits about you to avoid being hit by cyclists anyway? If you check for cyclists before stepping into the road, I'd have thought you'd spot a Prius? :p

How did it drive, handle, steer, brake, etc.?

I take it they weren't on the pavement...

When I was young, instead of being wrapped in cotton-wool we had the Green Cross Code man...;)

Hmm... shirley you have to keep your wits about you to avoid being hit by cyclists anyway? If you check for cyclists before stepping into the road, I'd have thought you'd spot a Prius? :p

I don't normally check for cyclists is multistorey car parks but I will in future now thanks :p

IIRC Lotus produced a sound generator to overcome this problem - variety of different sounds, like a V8 for example.

I heard this at Hethel 14 years ago - very funny (!) - Very convincing, but still a tad like putting a MaxPower exhaust on a Saxo...:crazy:

I heard this at Hethel 14 years ago - very funny (!) - Very convincing, but still a tad like putting a MaxPower exhaust on a Saxo...:crazy:

But how many people on this forum say they love V8's for the sound......;)

I borrowed one for a couple of days. Did about 250-300 miles of mixed including London and back from Lymington.

Ride is excellent. Ride on air like the MB system. Supple and soaks up bumps. That was the best bit.

Handling is good for the type of vehicle and you can hustle along country lanes.

Steering pretty lifeless and loads of torque steer when you put your foot down. Accelerate round a big roundabout and the effect on the steering is most marked. Way more than most makes have nowadays.

Fuel economy: - hard to average 30 even on a run. Sales manager said 'nobody gets the claimed figures'.

Braking was fine.

Whole luxury feel, soft ride and so on, encourages you to drive gently and not hurl it around.

Satnav and all that, way too complicated compared with the simple buttons in the E, S and ML. But great graphics. Good sound.

Only 60k miles guarantee compared with MB's unlimited miles was a concern.

For me it is short of legroom in the front. As you raise the seat it sadly swings forward reducing the legroom. A lot less than the E class (and less than the A or B or C or S or ML). For me, that and the limited warranty, and the torque steer, put me off. The sales manager said he would ask Lexus if the seat could be moved/adjusted but he never came back. I e-mailed to remind him. He said he was onto it, but he didn't come back.

Then borrowed the current ML for a couple of days (320cdi) and found far more room, and much nicer to drive.

Stupidly after that I borrowed an S class 220 series for a day; like being on another planet. Greatest drive of my life and despite the excessive cost the heart ruled the head.

Last edited:
i too drove an RX400h but it was 2 years back in 2006. I had at the time a 3.0i X5. The lexus was the faster car, but the seats were IMHO lacking ajdustability and comfort. They didn'tn't go far back enough or low enough to allow for a comfortable driving position for someone of 6ft tall. The salesman offered to check if seat adjustment could be altered so I'd fit. Brilliant quality of service. However given that this car was designed with America in mind where they are taller and tend to sit far back from the wheel this seems an oversight too far.

I felt the car was nice to drive around town, but didn't feel like a £40k car. It felt smaller than the Cayenne, X5 size cars and IMHO this is a good thing. There was a lot of toyota bits in there, even the steering wheel was the same as my mothers 05 Rav 4. The interior plastics were similar, fine for a £20k toyota hack, but not so in a £40k car. The metal work and interior trim on my BMW were far superior.

Driving the car out of town it felt okay, nothing special and completely unremarkable, unlike my X5 whcih was a hoot to drive. A short drive through Aberdeen town center and down the dual carriage way to Stonehaven and back saw 35mpg. In my mind this was excellent given it was a tall upright car. On town it drove on hybrid alone using no fuel in stop start in Aberdeen city center. The performace was excellent and with both engine + electic in action the car was very rapid.

The stereo (this was the top of the range car) was excellent, and the drive train display interesting. I didnt attempt the sat nav as I am hopeless with such things.

The salesman marketed the car as something that would give straight line perfomance of a 4.5litre+ V8 with the consumption of a 3litre diesel car. In this regard I don't think he was far wrong.

Why are you calling me Shirley ??

I take it they weren't on the pavement...

When I was young, instead of being wrapped in cotton-wool we had the Green Cross Code man...;)

When I was young my parents taught me to keep away from strangers.....especially green angry men

Drove nice and smooth - handled ok nothing special - steering overly light, typical Japanese / American - Brakes very good..can't fault them.

We discussed this offer on tyresmoke.net and one of the dealers signed up to chip in.

I think the best quote was...

Originally Posted by LEXUS-MAINDEALER It's people like you that really piss me off. As a Lexus Main Dealer ... we can well do without vermin like you f***ing us about. ... you ****. Let this be a warning to any other jokers who can't afford to buy a quality prestige vehicle, us dealers have had enough of your crap and you will be chased out of our showrooms and back to your hovells [sic] where you belong. you TIT!

A long thread and most of his posts he deleted, but worth a read, what a ****!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom