4Car's comments about MB dealers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model) - Bought 2005, Sold 2022.
Yes, it makes depressing reading. And regrettably I've experienced similar.

The first time I took my first Merc for its first service I went to MB Park Royal (handy for work) in their shiny new industrial unit. I was flabergasted when all the service bod did was moan about this that and everything under the sun. It instilled zero confidence, I can tell you.

Fortunately the dealer I use now is much better (Tony Purslows, Guildford).

jeremytaylor said:
Fortunately the dealer I use now is much better (Tony Purslows, Guildford).

Yet I recently had very poor service at the same dealership, with the team leader trying to brow-beat me into paying for a replacement battery myself when the vehicle was still under warranty (even after I went and got the booklet from the car and showed them the relevant page) ...

I missed the TV program, but I cannot find any mention of specific dealerships in the link. (No doubt my poor reading skills)

I am all for naming and shaming, Jeremy Clarkson always likes to have a dig about the awful electronic reliability problems with Mercedes-Benz and yes, I have suffered, but like the man says, if the dealership does their best to remedy the faults then you can ask no more.

I was appalled to read of the problems he has had to contend with on the Jaguar, it certainly shows Mercedes-Benz in a different light. Being a long term test car you would expect the vehicle to behave perfectly. If I was the supplying dealer I would treat everyone connected with this car like royalty. Publicity is what can make or break a business.

"""malfunctioning key-fob but been unable to find any reason why the passenger's airbag warning light would flash on without warning. And the fault which saw it run out of diesel before the range meter registered diesel wasn't a fault at all, apparently. Creamer says that if the diesel level is very low, the engine management will instruct the car not to start to prevent it from running out of fuel altogether which has much more serious consequences for diesel than petrol cars. And the diff? A new one was indeed needed and unsurprisingly not in stock.""""

John

glojo said:
I missed the TV program, but I cannot find any mention of specific dealerships in the link. (No doubt my poor reading skills)
There isn't a related (to the article) TV program. And no specific dealer is mentioned - it's a generalisation about MB dealers, based on his own, and several friends, experiences.
glojo said:
I am all for naming and shaming, Jeremy Clarkson always likes to have a dig about the awful electronic reliability problems with Mercedes-Benz and yes, I have suffered, but like the man says, if the dealership does their best to remedy the faults then you can ask no more.
The dealer can make or break the whole experience. I've had cars (not MB) with lots of problems, but the dealer has been great. On the other hand my wife's Honda Jazz purchasing 'experience' was ruined by the dealer. (Reassuringly though, the dealer obviously got a severe kicking from Honda).
glojo said:
I was appalled to read of the problems he has had to contend with on the Jaguar, it certainly shows Mercedes-Benz in a different light. Being a long term test car you would expect the vehicle to behave perfectly. If I was the supplying dealer I would treat everyone connected with this car like royalty. Publicity is what can make or break a business.
I don't know the basis on which 4Car buys and runs the cars, but What Car do a similar thing and they frequently have problems with various manufacturers dealers. I hope they do operate anonomously - it would be horrendous to think that they treated even known motoring writers badly, it really would be hopeless for the rest of us!
glojo said:
"""malfunctioning key-fob but been unable to find any reason why the passenger's airbag warning light would flash on without warning. And the fault which saw it run out of diesel before the range meter registered diesel wasn't a fault at all, apparently. Creamer says that if the diesel level is very low, the engine management will instruct the car not to start to prevent it from running out of fuel altogether which has much more serious consequences for diesel than petrol cars. And the diff? A new one was indeed needed and unsurprisingly not in stock.""""
They do sound reasonable - the airbag light is prob intermittant, hard to find a fault that's not there. The diesel thing is a bit strange but possibly sensible? I wouldn't expect a diff to be in stock, but sounds like a developing problem on the diesel Jags.

I know for certain that a certain Top Gear presenter makes sure they know exactly who they are selling a car to. When they bought one vehicle they carried out the purchase through the UK agent of the car manufacturer, making sure they jumped the long waiting list and also managed a deal that us mere mortals could never acheive.

Unfortunately car testers usually attempt to get as many perks from the manufacturer as possible. It is not a convienance thing to test cars in the South of France or other luxurious place. Manufacturers deliberately choose luxurious surroundings to make sure they get a good write-up. If these same manufacturers give out a long term loan vehicle without making sure it's perfect then they need a big kick up the proverbial....

I certainly agree with all your points and I think it refreshing when poor dealers are named and shamed. The 210 rust problems beggar belief and the 211 electronic glitches are now finally really being sorted big time, but the reputation of Mercedes-Benz can be broken by atrocious dealerships who treat customers in a manner that is way below any acceptable standard.

Intermittant faults are indeed a techicians worst nightmare. On our own 211 the drivers side folding mirror would fail to unfold first time about once every six weeks and it NEVER failed when we actually reported it to the service department, but the complete assembly was changed and so far, so good, no more problems.

That to me is what a good dealership is all about.

Looks like he still has his intermittant problem. ;) ;)

Bye for now,
John

Rory said:
I don't know the basis on which 4Car buys and runs the cars, but What Car do a similar thing and they frequently have problems with various manufacturers dealers. I hope they do operate anonomously - it would be horrendous to think that they treated even known motoring writers badly, it really would be hopeless for the rest of us!

Have you never noticed that all car mags long-term cars are owned by the maufacturer concerned. If a dealer knows who I am purely by my reg. number, they sure as hell know the car mag when they bring the car for a service!

That's why you can never take the car mags long-term test comments on service seriously, unless the dealer has made a serious howler.

They should put their money where their mouth is and pay for their own cars like the rest of us!

jeremytaylor said:
Have you never noticed that all car mags long-term cars are owned by the maufacturer concerned. If a dealer knows who I am purely by my reg. number, they sure as hell know the car mag when they bring the car for a service!

That's why you can never take the car mags long-term test comments on service seriously, unless the dealer has made a serious howler.
In fact, I'd say What Car often seem to have problems with dealers. They also seem to always phone around for service costs/availaility, whereas you'd think there would be a dealer nominated to look after them.
I don't know if the cars are manufacturer owned - but they do seem to specify the most incredible list of options to each car, but it's always written as if the cars regular user has chosen these options, rather than then just appearing as they would on a demo car.

Glad to see (in a weird way) that Merc owners get the same poor treatment us Smart owners get!
A friend with a Smart had some warranty work done by Merc in Nottingham, the tech forgot to take the serial no of the replacement part so the owner was called and asked to pop in next time he was in the area so they could get the no and put the warranty claim through, he was quite prepared to do this.
Yet one evening last week the tech turned up on his doorstep, outside of working hours, hammered on his door and demanded the key so he could get this number. When refused he shouted and swore and it seems Merc were going to make the tech pay for the part if the number wasn't supplied.

What makes this even worse is that when the owner went to complain about this the Dealer principal tried to make him feel guilty by saying "do you really want him to lose his job over this?"

I know it's bad as I have been waiting for a reply to an email and follow up call for almost 3 months from the Customer Service dept with regards the Comand in our Forfour (same system as the C-Class gets) and have had no reply!!

If the cars were bought by the mags, it would still be easy to trace as they show the reg nos every week/month in the photos!

Kate

I have been less than impressed by the dealer service as I have detailed in other threads. The last straw was being quoted a lower trade-in against a 54 plate C180 than I received from a non Merc dealer against a similar priced car.

In another thread someone said in response to my comments about nearly new Mercs being overpriced that this was a good thing. Well it would be if those prices translated down to what they give you for a trade in but they don't. :mad:

I have driven Mercs for six years, but sometime later this week, I pick up my 54 plate X-Type 2.0D SE. Hopefully I won't have to go back to the dealer apart from for services.

Bugblatter said:
In another thread someone said in response to my comments about nearly new Mercs being overpriced that this was a good thing. Well it would be if those prices translated down to what they give you for a trade in but they don't. :mad:

I have driven Mercs for six years, but sometime later this week, I pick up my 54 plate X-Type 2.0D SE. Hopefully I won't have to go back to the dealer apart from for services.

;) Twas me sir,
I will also say that the grass will perhaps always be greener on the other side of the hill!

I have heard horrendous tales of the poor quality of new vehicles. Just read the review of the Jaguar mentioned earlier. Show me one manufacturer that produces the perfect car and I will show you a 'liar'

It is all about how the dealer treats us the customer. Dealers really are the make or break of any manufacturer. If your local Mercedes-Benz dealer is below standard, then do exactly what you are doing.... Walk away, but PLEASE, please document your complaints and write a letter to Mercedes-Benz UK. This to me is the only way things will be altered. By not being bothered we simply encourage lower standards and they then become the 'norm'

Good luck with the new car,
John

glojo said:
;) Twas me sir,
I will also say that the grass will perhaps always be greener on the other side of the hill!

I have heard horrendous tales of the poor quality of new vehicles. Just read the review of the Jaguar mentioned earlier. Show me one manufacturer that produces the perfect car and I will show you a 'liar'

It is all about how the dealer treats us the customer. Dealers really are the make or break of any manufacturer. If your local Mercedes-Benz dealer is below standard, then do exactly what you are doing.... Walk away, but PLEASE, please document your complaints and write a letter to Mercedes-Benz UK. This to me is the only way things will be altered. By not being bothered we simply encourage lower standards and they then become the 'norm'

Good luck with the new car,
John

Thank you for that! I will stick around and let you know how things go. I am certainly under no illusions and could well find that things are no better with Jaguar. I wanted to buy another Merc but the prices just didn't work out.

Jaguar have done well in the US JD Power surveys with I believe the title of "Top European Marque" so that is some encouragement. :)

See here for more info.

Last edited:
Rory said:
I don't know if the cars are manufacturer owned - but they do seem to specify the most incredible list of options to each car, but it's always written as if the cars regular user has chosen these options, rather than then just appearing as they would on a demo car.

Talking of nicely spec'ed long-termers, have you seen Autocar's latest.

A shiny black C55 AMG estate with all the trimmings (Command, Partronic, hi-fi, etc.). NIICCEE.

Check out the number plate (begins K), like all Merc-owned cars, and 90% of the stock at Merc Direct dealers (ex-renters, management, lease, etc. but all owned by MB).

jeremytaylor said:
Talking of nicely spec'ed long-termers, have you seen Autocar's latest.

A shiny black C55 AMG estate with all the trimmings (Command, Partronic, hi-fi, etc.). NIICCEE.

Check out the number plate (begins K), like all Merc-owned cars, and 90% of the stock at Merc Direct dealers (ex-renters, management, lease, etc. but all owned by MB).

Very true. If you ever see an episode of Top Gear/Fifth Gear or a photo of a MB (or a smart, Chrysler or Jeep) in a magazine it will have a number plate starting with K as all these cars are registered by DC UK in Milton Keynes.

The best stuff from the staff car schemes go to MB Direct. These cars tend to be a good deal for buyers as there are strict rules on the condition of the car when it is returned and any damage gets recharged back to the employee which encourages staff to treat them well (or it does me, anyway).

All cars go wrong. It does not matter what it is, at some point it will be in a garage for a non service item, thats when you find out if you are driving a quality car or not...

I can remember when my mates 230 used to go into Mercedes for a service The Chingford Dealership (now Audi) picked it up on a flatbed and returned it when they had finished :cool: MB obviously never wanted that sort of service because they were sacked for idiots like sytner :rolleyes:

Nevermind...

DC_insider said:
The best stuff from the staff car schemes go to MB Direct. These cars tend to be a good deal for buyers as there are strict rules on the condition of the car when it is returned and any damage gets recharged back to the employee which encourages staff to treat them well (or it does me, anyway).

Interesting. My brother recently bought a 6-month old E270 Avantgarde Estate from Merc Direct in Caterham, and we were surprised to see an individuals name on the V5. Knowing it was ex-MB, we were expecting MB, or maybe one of those generic Ltd companies that car rental companies register them in to avoid the stigma of an ex-renter.

A lot of the history in the Command sat-nav locations was MB dealers, so I guess whoever owned/drove it had to visit the dealers as part of his job. Either that, or it had so many faults it kept gonig back in. (I hope the former).

Are the cars leased to MB employees or what?

jeremytaylor said:
Interesting. My brother recently bought a 6-month old E270 Avantgarde Estate from Merc Direct in Caterham, and we were surprised to see an individuals name on the V5. Knowing it was ex-MB, we were expecting MB, or maybe one of those generic Ltd companies that car rental companies register them in to avoid the stigma of an ex-renter.

A lot of the history in the Command sat-nav locations was MB dealers, so I guess whoever owned/drove it had to visit the dealers as part of his job. Either that, or it had so many faults it kept gonig back in. (I hope the former).

Mine - 6mth old C270 estate, bought from MB Direct, Birmingham - was exactly the same, including the MB HQ and various dealers in the sat nav. I was surprised to see a 'normal' name and address on the V5 - somewhere in Lancashire - yet the car had only done 6000 miles in 6 mths, so I presume it had only been used for a short time, or the driver had access to other cars?
The car was in fantastic condition, a couple of stone chips but otherwise not a mark on it (looks like no-one had ever sat in the back), and of course it's loaded with options.
I wasn't thrilled with the buying experience at MB Direct - they were very aggressive to sell the car (which makes a refreshing change) but when I collected the car they really didn't like me making them touch-in the stonechips that they'd promised (but failed) to do. Follow up calls for missing documentation etc, have been completely ignored. It's a very 'car supermarket' like experience.

jeremytaylor said:

The staff leasing scheme cars are registered with the employees name and address on the V5. This car doesn't sound like it was from the staff leasing scheme as the scheme is a 9 month/9,000 mile contract and the car wouldn't have COMAND.

It could have been a employees company car. Due to the way the company car scheme is structured the V5 would have the employees name and address.

Bugblatter said:

Oh dear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom