4k films wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
has anyone any 4k films they have watched and want to sell or swop
cheers all

Slight off topic but what tv do you have?

I'm struggling to find picture settings I'm happy with, I don't want to go too far into calibrating it and messing it up. I use game mode for the Xbox one during games but it looks washed out so I put it back to standard or dynamic

Wondering which mode is best for watching tv/films (4K HDR or standard etc) and gaming

Mine is a Samsung 6 series, web search just brings up random models

samsung 7000 series but have left all settings to factory as all the reviews on the net seem to favour out of box settings

ash59fifty-uk said:
Slight off topic but what tv do you have? I'm struggling to find picture settings I'm happy with, I don't want to go too far into calibrating it and messing it up. I use game mode for the Xbox one during games but it looks washed out so I put it back to standard or dynamic Wondering which mode is best for watching tv/films (4K HDR or standard etc) and gaming Mine is a Samsung 6 series, web search just brings up random models

Have a look at for the app THX tune up. It uses the phones camera to calibrate the screen. I found it spot on. I'd calibrated my tv before I found the app.

Here it is on the App Store
THX tune-up™ by THX Ltd.
https://appsto.re/gb/sVRuJ.i

Abcan said:
Have a look at for the app THX tune up. It uses the phones camera to calibrate the screen. I found it spot on. I'd calibrated my tv before I found the app. Here it is on the App Store THX tune-up™ by THX Ltd. https://appsto.re/gb/sVRuJ.i

Thanks I'll check that out :thumb:

mercmanuk said:
samsung 7000 series but have left all settings to factory as all the reviews on the net seem to favour out of box settings

Yeah I think they look better although somewhat bright, I'm guessing so it looks fancy on the shop floor

~

After I posted on this earlier I went onto Titanfall 2 on the Xbox and switched from Game mode to Standard to see the difference (first thing I did when plugging the console in after getting the tv was turn it to game mode) and immediately it was like I had turned my 'look' sensitivity down to zero, was getting killed left right and centre.

Just looking around was really slow, other movements normal... thought my hands had packed up! Switched it back to Game mode and it went back to how it always felt, smooth and fast (I have my sensitivity up quite high) Worth knowing, even though the colour isn't as good

BUT, I have noticed on very few occasions, I get a sort of 'wipe' effect, a horizontal line moves down the screen, with jagged pixels along the line, then it disappears. I've searched the net and only things that come up is the rate on PC monitors, but not on tv... not sure what to do? I've only noticed it four times since Saturday. Perhaps need to calibrate properly for the Xbox? (HDMI connection)

I'm not 100% sure if it will cure your problem but calibration will definitely help. Most calibration settings will tell you to turn off loads of the fancy features the TV manufacturers bang on about. Google, motion blur and screen lag when gaming and most of the solutions to those problems will be turning off some or all of the picture processing functions. If it's in gaming mode it should switch those off (that's why you got lag when you swapped modes) worth trying a to find the calibration settings and see what you think.

Tempted to pay a professional to come round and do it... Is that even a thing?

Have mistreated televisions all my life, previous had black ghosting to a corner of the screen from God knows what, and ghost text/burn from leaving it on for a long period of time one day. Capacitors were replaced by Samsung warranty (6 years after buying it which was impressive)

Want to keep this one decent... might even dust it! :D

Yes, you can have someone round to calibrate the screen. Cost dependent on how many inputs you wish calibrated. £200-300 isn't uncommon. One thing to bear in mind is the ambient (room) light levels have quite a significant effect on perceived image quality. The calibration should be done at the most common light level when viewing, usually artificial lighting low level evening viewing..

Last edited:
whitenemesis said:
Yes, you can have someone round to calibrate the screen. Cost dependent on how many inputs you wish calibrated. £200-300 isn't uncommon. One thing to bear in mind is the ambient (room) light levels have quite a significant effect on perceived image quality. The calibration should be done at the most common light level when viewing, usually artificial lighting low level evening viewing..

Agree. The first thing I did was turn the auto screen brightness sensor off. My mate spent ages calibrating his screen but left the sensor on which whacked the brightness through the roof whenever it sensed any lights.

Seems like there is some good knowledge here!

I'm looking at 4K TV's now, very difficult task even having narrowed down to LG, Sony and Samsung.

LG seems to be the best all rounder (system wise). Is OLED really worth the extra? There is a noticeable difference in showrooms, but will it be that different in normal settings?

Seems like there is some good knowledge here!

I'm looking at 4K TV's now, very difficult task even having narrowed down to LG, Sony and Samsung.

LG seems to be the best all rounder (system wise). Is OLED really worth the extra? There is a noticeable difference in showrooms, but will it be that different in normal settings?

OLED is the standout display... It's significantly different from all the other offerings certainly has the blackest blacks, excellent.

That said I went for a Sony, great picture quality, crap operating system :( Sony are slowly refining the android system but it still randomly switches off, looses audio settings, refuses to connect with the Sony AV amp. Televisions aren't just display devices these days and in some cases too smart for their own worth...

OLED is the standout display... It's significantly different from all the other offerings certainly has the blackest blacks, excellent.

That said I went for a Sony, great picture quality, crap operating system :( Sony are slowly refining the android system but it still randomly switches off, looses audio settings, refuses to connect with the Sony AV amp. Televisions aren't just display devices these days and in some cases too smart for their own worth...

I had similar findings in my research regarding OLED, it's just whether the bottom of the range OLED really exceeds the top of the range LED (which I think it should in theory, as it is meant to supersede LED?)

Initially the Sony android system sounded to be the most appealing out of the rest, but upon trying it a number of times on display in showrooms, they seem to be unbearably slow and somewhat restrictive - which is a shame.

How about IPS and VA panel differences, think LG's use IPS which should apparently make the image smoother, whilst VA is richer in colour, is that right?

Sony have improved response times and added HDR which makes a real difference, if you can find a source of HDR coded material. Netflix and Amazon Prime both have content. For some reason Netflix audio is much better than Amazon, in that it has greater surround presence

OLED displays are in a different league altogether, near infinite contrast but lack brightness.

Steer clear of curved screens, terrible reflections and colour washout at extremes.

Sony have improved response times and added HDR which makes a real difference, if you can find a source of HDR coded material. Netflix and Amazon Prime both have content. For some reason Netflix audio is much better than Amazon, in that it has greater surround presence

OLED displays are in a different league altogether, near infinite contrast but lack brightness.

Steer clear of curved screens, terrible reflections and colour washout at extremes.

Thanks for the advice, wonder if the android system will be OR can be perfected through the updates.

These are the options at the moment, with OLED being on top.

LG OLED55B6V - LG OLED55B6V | LG Electronics UK
LG 55UH850V - LG 55UH950V | LG Electronics UK
Sony KD55XD9305 - https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xd9405-xd9305-series

The OLED is a little too high in price though....

I saw the two LGs on display and have to say both look fantastic but the OLED still amazes with it's picture quality...

Look carefully at the Sony offerings, the smaller screens have edge illumination, the 65" and above come with direct back lighting and it shows a marked benefit come the shadow detail.

Whether Sony ever get the OS working flawlessly is something we will have to wait and hope for. The actual image display and setting options seem very good. It's just the fundamental operations, like switching On they seem to have issues with!!

Given that Sony have had a fairly catastrophic bug with their implementation of the Amazon app for over a year now, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Apart from a slightly lack lustre audio output I've had no issues with using Amazon on our Sony.

Sony's implementation of YouView is dire! So much so I invested in a separate Humax box which brings with it the recording facility that Sony are still promising...

I was happy with Amazon on my Samsung but four days in I'm now constantly getting the low bandwidth pop up, if it carries on I certainly won't be staying with them after the free trial

4K streaming works with no issues on Netflix and other vendors, it's only Amazon I'm getting this with? :dk:

What soundbars have people invested in? I'm annoyed I only have an optical output, rendering my trusty (and dusty) home system useless. I've been looking at the Levathian Razer 5.1 for £170, not up for spending any more than twice that for sound as I could just connect the tv to my interface and use my KRK's for audio, which I'd rather not do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom