4matic on the E220d - any point

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Hi folks

Seen a W213 e220d I quite like the look of but the spec is quite oddball in that it is a 4matic. I checked this on VIN to ensure this wasn’t a listing error.

The 4matic seems to sap 10mpg from the fuel consumption and on normal tyres presumably isn’t going to pull you out of anything slippy.

So is there any point in it on this small engine?

Well on the same tyres you'd have roughly twice as much traction as standard RWD. Not much advantage for normal road driving, but if you need to venture off-tarmac occasionally (a vet for example, or towing a boat/caravan/etc.) then it might make sense. I saw a few C200 4Matics for sale when we were looking for an S205 recently.

Well on the same tyres you'd have roughly twice as much traction as standard RWD. Not much advantage for normal road driving, but if you need to venture off-tarmac occasionally (a vet for example, or towing a boat/caravan/etc.) then it might make sense. I saw a few C200 4Matics for sale when we were looking for an S205 recently.
Yes those would be good use cases of the 4wd.

Still the massive hike in fuel consumption with presumably no option to switch it over to standard 2wd may grate after a while.

Why would 4matic be an oddball spec ? Audi have had "quattro" on the A3, A4 , A5 A6 and TT for years and I think MB 4matic is similar. MB seem to have given up on offering it across the range , where did you get the 10% reduction in mpg from ?

Why would 4matic be an oddball spec ? Audi have had "quattro" on the A3, A4 , A5 A6 and TT for years and I think MB 4matic is similar. MB seem to have given up on offering it across the range , where did you get the 10% reduction in mpg from ?
Quattro makes more sense on the A4 as the alternative is front wheel drive. Although my friends 2.0 A4 Quattro has abysmal real world fuel consumption compared to the vanilla 2wd car. Low 30s tops

I’ve always felt RWD has been fine on my 6cyl petrol Mercs over the years.

I say oddball because very few UK W213s have it. If I was going to spend a couple of grand in spec it would be on something else like drivers assistance pack or airmatic.

Mixed WLTP on the 4matic 220d according to autotrader is 44 compared with 57.7 on the rwd version so worse than I said initially. Nearly a 25% dive for something not adding much for regular driving.

Yep I saw significantly lower mpg quoted for the C200 with 4Matic too. I assume this is largely drivetrain losses (I believe it's full-time 4WD), plus some extra weight and perhaps slightly increased ride height. You'd need a good reason for wanting this on a non-AMG version.

Yep I saw significantly lower mpg quoted for the C200 with 4Matic too. I assume this is largely drivetrain losses (I believe it's full-time 4WD), plus some extra weight and perhaps slightly increased ride height. You'd need a good reason for wanting this on a non-AMG version.
My good reason was a £14k discount , mpg wasn't a consideration as I only cover 6000 miles a year. I haven't noticed the benefit of 4matic and yet to drive it in poor conditions . MPG is averageing 35 locally and 45 on a good run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom