5.5 bi turbo rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zenman63

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2016 L450 Range Rover 4.4 AB, 2015 GTs 2017 Range rover evoque
Anyone with the 5.5 bi turbo have a rattle on start up?
My ML63 late 2012 has a rattle on start very time even hot.
Car done 60k and just serviced at MB.
On the history it has Shell ultra w5 40 oil done 500 miles since service.
It sounds like valve train and at the front like a cam adjuster.

Well thats encouraging 79 views and nothing to report, not even sure if its normal.

There got to be someone with a 205 e63 that can say it it starts with no rattle .

Got a 2014 E class with the M157 5.5 Biturbo. It's done just over 21K miles now. Absolutely no rattle on start-up. Since its a direct injection engine they do sound 'tappety' - but that's the injectors.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ok cool, this rattles until the oils up there, if you turn it off and re start it's silent.
I will take a video.

What is your engine number? there was a mod to add an anti-reversion valve to the timing chain tensioner. Does it rattle for a couple of seconds and then run normally?.

My MY2013 car needed the new timing chain tensioner under warranty. Sounded pretty bad for a couple of seconds after startup. Strangely it did it more after a hot start than a cold start, and more noticable still if the car was parked on a slope. It's been fine since the chain tensioner was replaced.

I have the typical M157 injector noise, and also a slight hint of lifter noise on the left bank that apparently is acceptable if it goes away off-idle, which it does. It is a noisy unit, and not in a good way, even if it is not really audible in the cabin and is drowned out by the exhaust. It just seems to be the way they all are.
Regards,
Alex

Sounds like a diesel at idle but, no rattles here

What is your engine number? there was a mod to add an anti-reversion valve to the timing chain tensioner. Does it rattle for a couple of seconds and then run normally?.

My MY2013 car needed the new timing chain tensioner under warranty. Sounded pretty bad for a couple of seconds after startup. Strangely it did it more after a hot start than a cold start, and more noticable still if the car was parked on a slope. It's been fine since the chain tensioner was replaced.

I have the typical M157 injector noise, and also a slight hint of lifter noise on the left bank that apparently is acceptable if it goes away off-idle, which it does. It is a noisy unit, and not in a good way, even if it is not really audible in the cabin and is drowned out by the exhaust. It just seems to be the way they all are.
Regards,
Alex

Thanks for this help, it runs a treat no problem at all and yes its just 1-2 seconds from a cold start and 1 second when hot.
I will look on epc for the valve in the video and chain tensioner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom