5-digit postcodes solved by updating maps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seandynan

Car
2010 W204 C220 CDi Sport
Hi all

I have just bought a 2010 W204 C-Class and its COMAND only understands 5-digit postcodes.

Would updating to the latest maps solve this or does it also need a separate firmware update?

And if it needs a firmware update, how do I do it?

Thanks.

Nope. Welcome to the world of Mercedes Sat Nav. Mine had the UCI sat nav which did recognise them, but the dearer COMAND is 5 digit only, even though it goes to house number on many streets!

I'm 90% sure the W204 NTG4 system (i.e pre MY2012 facelift) can never support 7 digit postcode, but the W212 system can if it has recent firmware and maps.

Firmware is done by your Mercedes dealer (or an independent with a fully supported Online Star Diagnosis/Xentry system - which there are not many independents that have this, many have cheap clones from china).

Richard

Thanks Richard. Coincidentally, I had just sent an email to comandonline asking about updates for my Merc. :)

Mark from comandonline has just confirmed that a firmware update won't solve the 5-digit postcode problem. NTG4 COMANDs are stuck with it.

The upside to NTG4 compared to NTG4.5 is that you can update the maps with "second user" DVD's instead of needing someone with the necessary MB software to get an installation code from MB head office - so updating the maps on NTG4 can be considerably cheaper (and a DIY job).

If you decide to update via second user DVD's, make sure you buy genuine MB not pirate copies - they have been known to convert Comand into a useless plastic brick! 2 varieties of genuine MB - in a normal DVD case they are MB retail versions. In a cardboard CD size case they are DVD's issued to dealers to update customers cars, should not get into the retail environment but occasionally do (i.e. forums and Ebay).

I solved this issue on my car by using my iPhone and Google maps. The command with 5 digit post code on my 2010 C250 is terrible for the age of car. I was very surprised when I bought the car.

Mark from comandonline has just confirmed that a firmware update won't solve the 5-digit postcode problem. NTG4 COMANDs are stuck with it.

W204 NTG4 comand is stuck with it. W212/W207 NTG4 isnt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom