5 Speed Box into '85 W123 240D info?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PlanetEclectica

Car
1985 W123 240D Saloon
Hi,
I have an '85 W123 that was formerly a 280 fitted with an auto box. The engine has been replaced with a rebuilt 240D, running very sweetly on vegetable oil. The auto box has just expired its 'best by' date, which is a perfect time to replace it with a 5 speed manual box, giving me a totally bulletproof car for the next 200,000 miles.
I am locating the various parts needed and would welcome views and comments from anyone with any experience of this job and the range of suitable parts.

Thanks

Are you sure that the 240 has enough power for a 5th gear? I thought the manual versions were all 4 speeders.

Rumour has it that the w123 5 speed 240D has the same gearbox as the first 5 speed W201/190 but couldn't say for certain.

No the 240D uses the W123 5 speed box... the 190 box doesnt fit.

Apart from the box you will of course need
- Master Cylinder
- Slave Cylinder & Piping
- Gearbox Mounts
- Propshafts
- Gear Linkages
- Gear Gate
- Gear Lever and Selector
- Speedo Cable
- Clutch Kit
- Pedal Box and ancillaries

To be honest, id say its way too much work... if you are insistent on it then find a donor car...

My W115 200 petrol is a manual but im swopping the running gear from my 280ce auto into it so the manual box and bits that go with it in the 200 will be up for grabs if its any help? dont ask me if it'll fit the weasel though, you'll need an experts advice on that one

Thanks for your replies, the car and engine are really good and worth the effort involved to give me years of quality Merc motoring.
I'm a bit of an eco enthusiast, I run the car on recycled vegetable oil and want the 5 speed box for added economy! I know they made one for the W123 240D, but not for long and not very many.
I think I may have got one, along with all the other kit for the job.
Cheers

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom