5 weeks to get a part from Mercedes!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maxslk

Car
slk 350
Hi, I have an SLK 350 (05 Reg) purchased in July from an independent garage. Noticed early that gear change was lumpy. After having codes checked , then gearbox oil & filter change, the garage used Merc specific analyser to check problem. Pointed to the gearbox ECU. Part ordered form MB (1 week to deliver). Then the garage was unable to code, they had to take it to MB because only MB can code it!. However MB could not code it! on MB inspection it appears that the new upgraded ECU does not work with the original control valve, need upgraded control valve as well! MB have ordered but it is in on back order......................... 4 + weeks to have them available !!! then delivery...............

CAN THIS BE TRUE!!:fail

The indie want this resolved as I have their courtesy car( 1 year old CMAX) that they want to sell! So can't be them delaying things

now 4 months to get a part + MB damage the car

This gets worse!!, just been told by MB the valve control unit is on back order and will be available end of Feb 2014!! That 4 months in all!!

As such I went to empty my car of the personal items, Took MB 20 mins to find where they have put it!, Then I find somehow they have put 3 dents in the boot lid!!

I await the service manager to contact me next week to explain the damage and why the part is taking so long.

Any thought how I can get this resolved

Stay calm, stick to facts and see what they intend to do to rectify the problem.

That's the opening gambit and until you hear from them then you will not be able to make a decision.

Remember that they have to solve the issues and then try to make you happy. If you go off on one, they will simply repair the dents, fix the part and show you the door.

Thanks both.

I think my best option is to let the indie sort this out with MB directly. I am informed that MB have to let me have a courtesy car of the same type as part of the MB policy. Assuming that I get a 350 SLK.

However, thinking this over, I have other concerns in that, the car is likely to be left for the next 3 months outside the workshop, without the bottom of the gear box on (it is in the boot), unlikely to be touched so I assume the battery will die, and the tyre get "squared", brakes etc could of course seize. By the way MB are less than a mile form the sea!

Lets hope things get sorted quickly. I keep an update going.

I think you're being slightly ambitious wanting MB to give you a replacement SLK for waiting for a part for an 8 year old car. In terms of the dents, I'm hoping you have a handover sheet where someone has walked around the car with you?

I think it's quite a good thing if they give you a car for the delay on the part - you went to an indie to get a repair so they could tell you to go away!

Calm down, ask the dealer the questions you have in a nice way and don't "expect" anything.

Also look at alternatives like above or BBA Reman rather than waiting (and paying more!).

Problem you mentioning takes 5 days to fix
My indy done it plenty of times
MB is taking a p.... s again

I've had to wait 5 weeks for an genuine MB part to repair the electrics (power window, electric mirror, repeater etc) in the NSF door on my C220cdi.

Part arrived at the end of last week and the repair was done by my indy on the same day that the part arrived. There are some supply problems at the moment on certain parts from MB Germany according my indy.

OP- as your car is off the road can't the MB dealer submit a VOR (vehicle off road) request? This should get you the replacement part sooner?

Hi, I have an SLK 350 (05 Reg) purchased in July from an independent garage.

Did you get any form of warranty with the car? I know most off the warranties are a struggle to get to pay out (just been through that loop with my wife's Audi) but sometimes they do take some of the sting out of the bills.

In addition, surely the people you bought the car from ought to be involved to some degree.

The Sales Of goods Act states:

if you are claiming repair, replacement, full or partial refund within the first six months of ownership, the onus is on the trader to prove that the vehicle was sold without faults when you bought it. This is called the 'reversed burden of proof'. After six months, the burden of proof reverts back to you to provide evidence to support your claim that the vehicle was faulty when it was sold

The dealer you bought the car from is obliged to PROVE the car had no faults when sold to you, they can only do that if they have a full reports showing the items that you have to replace were in good working order at point of sale and with an expectation that they would continue to work for a reasonable period of time.

Reasonable is something a court would decide, but in most cases 6 months is considered reasonable for a second hand car.

Call the dealer you bought it from (I wouldn't mentionthose dents at this stage) and ask them what they are prepared to do to help. Follow that up with a recorded delivery letter stating you reserve your rights under the sales of goods act (specifically the "Of Reasonable Quality" and "Fit for its Intended Purpose" clauses and ask for an answer within 5 working days.

one of the benefits of buying what is considered a "Prestige Marque" is that courts tend to believe that it is reasonable for a buyer to expect higher standards of quality and durability than they might for a differnt marque.

Within 6 months you would have a better than average chance of success in a court claim if it got that far..

it's also worth noting that using moneyclaim.gov.uk it's "only" £100 to submit a claim for up to £5k (it has a sliding scale) so IF (and i do mean IF, this is a last resort) you choose to go down that route it's not hugely expensive.

Sometimes the implied threat of a claim is enough to make people take your situation more seriously.

There is absolutely no point in making overt threats or being angry (especially in writing) that actually harms your case - bear in mind it's the "reasonable person" test you are looking to pass - so you need to show how reasonable a person you are :)

Good Luck

Hi, if this is the same part I require for my 7G box, which I think it is, then I'm surprised.
Mine was diagnosed with a faulty valve module body thingy on Tuesday. Part is arriving from MK tomorrow and hopefully I'll have the car back for the weekend. This may be partly due to Mobilo renting a car for me and therefore want me out of it asap. February is still a joke though.:dk:

Good luck

Barrie

Guys
Could you run me through symptoms you had with gear box please?
Thanx

UPDATE.

All, thanks for your replies. Update as follows.

MB contacted me on the Monday and have accepted responsibility to the damage to the car. They have said they will bring the car inside whilst they await the part. They have supplied me with a hire car, a "13" plate C Class (very nice)and I assume for the duration, as it is costing them £370 a week, it should spur them on to getting the part. The indie has said when the car is ready, they will pick it up and give it a though inspection prior to me picking it up.

Borys.

The issue I had was a jerky gear change at low speeds, changing up or down in traffic and especially when slowing down at a junction. It was quite uncorfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom