5 years in...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonboyE63

Car
2012 E63 Wagon
Morning all, been here for a while now & have owned my fantastic E63 wagon for 5 years - i'm seriously thinking of changing it as i want something more driver focused & let's be honest, more dynamic as my daily driver - i love the car, it's a hoot but 99% of the time it's just little old me in it.
Mrs Cooke doesn't agree as she loves the car & she knows it's been 100% reliable & of course extremely comfortable.
Before i take this big step, would fitting an LSD make the car more dynamic to drive & get all the power down or am i better off saving the money, selling the beast & moving onto something like a C63s, M3 competition or maybe an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV - yes, i've seen every review out there :)
Any fellow member thoughts would be more than welcome.

It sounds as though you’ve got the itch.

5 years is a long time to own a car. Plenty of stuff to experience out there.

I’d not recommend the LSD. It will be the same old car, just with an LSD. Fair enough if you want to keep the car, but no point if you’re looking to move on anyway.

Stuff moves on. I suspect you would find something like a C63S a far more rewarding driving experience.

The E-class is great if you need the space and refinement, but the C-class in AMG 63S spec will be far more driver focused and dynamic.

I recommend you try and get a drive in some of the alternatives and make your own mind up :thumb:

would fitting an LSD make the car more dynamic to drive & get all the power down
An LSD or torque biasing diff like a Quaife makes a big difference in terms of traction and how the car feels when pressing on through a series of bends, but it won't transform the car into a more focussed single-minded track weapon which is something it will never be.
or am i better off saving the money, selling the beast & moving onto something like a C63s, M3
If you want to sacrifice the "waftability" of the E63 when you want to relax a bit in exchange for the more dynamic nature of the smaller high-performance cars then you already know the answer.

An LSD or torque biasing diff like a Quaife makes a big difference in terms of traction and how the car feels when pressing on through a series of bends, but it won't transform the car into a more focussed single-minded track weapon which is something it will never be.

If you want to sacrifice the "waftability" of the E63 when you want to relax a bit in exchange for the more dynamic nature of the smaller high-performance cars then you already know the answer..

Thanks Phil, not looking for a track car just something more dynamic so i'd better get out there & try some other cars...

W213 Wagon?
Unfortunately, they’re still out of my price range - maybe in a year or so they’ll be affordable….considering moving away from Mercedes until the W213 are closer to my budget.
Need to sell the car first so I’d better take some photos & get it listed on the forum..

I am in the same boat but I'd be open to the W213 or even a S213 but prices are firm at the moment. It's also hard to find a good one.

I was now thinking of going for a Ferrari FF as an alternative for a year or two. I have a V12 itch.

I am in the same boat but I'd be open to the W213 or even a S213 but prices are firm at the moment. It's also hard to find a good one.

I was now thinking of going for a Ferrari FF as an alternative for a year or two. I have a V12 itch.
Superb choice 👌🏻

Hard to find a good W213? Are you serious?

Morning all, been here for a while now & have owned my fantastic E63 wagon for 5 years - i'm seriously thinking of changing it as i want something more driver focused & let's be honest, more dynamic as my daily driver - i love the car, it's a hoot but 99% of the time it's just little old me in it.
Mrs Cooke doesn't agree as she loves the car & she knows it's been 100% reliable & of course extremely comfortable.
Before i take this big step, would fitting an LSD make the car more dynamic to drive & get all the power down or am i better off saving the money, selling the beast & moving onto something like a C63s, M3 competition or maybe an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV - yes, i've seen every review out there :)
Any fellow member thoughts would be more than welcome.

Jon you considered a W205 estate? It might be something in between until W213 drop a little more?

I want a facelift, not many facelifts and I am after a certain spec.
I've had my eye on 2018/19 models for some time. Not seeing any reduction in prices for this model.
Also not prepared to accept options I don't want. The lighter interiors don't appear too often either and when they do they are on a car in an area I won't consider buying.
Still too big a gap in price between the 212 and 213 for my liking.

For the interim, would you consider h&r front springs with rear links? It improves the ride handling a notch better than stock, feels a lot more dynamic and razor sharp. Lots of fun, it's a reversible mod too, also improves the looks. Its an affordable upgrade too🫡

I want a facelift, not many facelifts and I am after a certain spec.
I had my eye on prices of E63S’s for a while before I bought mine back in December. I was hoping they’d dip below £50k but they didn’t and don’t show any sign of doing so for the foreseeable future. I’m not a patient person though 😂

For the interim, would you consider h&r front springs with rear links? It improves the ride handling a notch better than stock, feels a lot more dynamic and razor sharp. Lots of fun, it's a reversible mod too, also improves the looks. Its an affordable upgrade too🫡
Funny enough I was planning to speak to Project AMG about looking into a suspension refresh to sharpen up the handling & steering etc….
Knowing me I’ll do some mods & end up keeping until the W213 come down under £40k
Cheapest one I can find is just shy of £43k
IMG_0675.jpeg

There are a few of us in the exact same boat, hang in there buddy. Have been tracking Autotrader regularly, they seem to be coming down a tiny bit but still at a mark up price.

Are you after an estate?

There are a few of us in the exact same boat, hang in there buddy. Have been tracking Autotrader regularly, they seem to be coming down a tiny bit but still at a mark up price.

Are you after an estate?
YES, 100% an estate - that grey one I posted last night is now £42k - they're getting closer..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom