50 in a 40, points or course?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's 10% plus 2 here. I learnt that on my speed awareness course last year, which is the reason why having been photographed recently doing 10% plus 2 I'm not getting another speed awareness course.

I wonder if Martin will like prison food, Renault 12ts? At least Steve could bring him some if he doesn't.

Last edited:
I would take the course. I learnt quite a bit. I have done two this year already....

Is it only Speeding the offer Courses for?, they don't offer one for accidentally going through a Red Light do they?, my friend did that recently.

I did a course a few years ago.

Don't waste your time, life's too short!

Bill's post (#15) has a useful link to the ACPO guidelines that recommend an enforcement threshold of limit +10% +2mph, with a ceiling for a course offer of limit + 10% +9mph.

A cynic would say that the relatively recent relaxation of the upper ceiling for the course offer was brought about to increase the revenue that retired police officers and various others can make out of speed limit enforcement, but that really would be a cynical view of things :rolleyes:

The important point though is that the ACPO guidelines are just that - guidelines - and I have it on good advice that Dorset (for one) are taking enforcement action as a matter of policy for infractions below the ACPO recommended threshold. So much for ACPO's advice about the importance of consistency of approach :rolleyes:

Is "Anne" related to "Martin"?

I hope not - that Martin is a naughty fellow .

Almost as bad as Dave .

I can just hear Robert DeNiro now " I'd like to introduce you to xxxx ; he's a good friend of mine" .

My friend 'Anne' was allegedly caught doing 50 in a 40 on a dual carriageway. Should she expect points or the offer of a not-at-all-revenue-generating speed awareness course?

From 'Mail online'.

article-1375049-0B8BCEEF00000578-31_474x240.jpg

If caught exceeding 20mph in a 20mph area is an automatic prosecution.

Only one course in 3years allowed, next time caught is prosecution.

It seems to vary a lot. My wife's ticket for 46 in a 40 zone ie 10% + 2 was about seven years ago, and as I said there was no option of a course.

The police should do a pre-emptive strike on people with quotes in their name, as they always seem to be in trouble...

The police should do a pre-emptive strike on people with quotes in their name, as they always seem to be in trouble...

Then i'm changing my name to either "slow" or "not guilty"

Is it only Speeding the offer Courses for?, they don't offer one for accidentally going through a Red Light do they?, my friend did that recently.

I would love to know how you can accidentally go through a red light.

Renewed the SL's insurance today and was asked if any drivers had attended a speed awareness course in the last 5 years. Gave details of Mrs BTB's (4 years ago now) and they thanked me and said the "conviction" had been recorded on the policy! Sounds very much like they are treated the same as having 3 points now.

So if you or a named driver have done an SAC check the small print when you renew as you may now be obliged to declare it.

Renewed the SL's insurance today and was asked if any drivers had attended a speed awareness course in the last 5 years. Gave details of Mrs BTB's (4 years ago now) and they thanked me and said the "conviction" had been recorded on the policy! Sounds very much like they are treated the same as having 3 points now.

So if you or a named driver have done an SAC check the small print when you renew as you may now be obliged to declare it.

Shocking behaviour. There was no conviction, of course. But if the insurance companies start to treat it as equivalent then it will start to undermine the whole idea. Given that the price of the course is carefully gauged to be about the same as the fine, the only reason for doing it is to avoid points, and for most people the only reason for avoiding points is to avoid the hike in insurance costs. If this becomes standard, no-one will do the course - it won't be worth the days leave/lost earnings.

SPX said:
My friend 'Anne' was allegedly caught doing 50 in a 40 on a dual carriageway.

Should she expect points or the offer of a not-at-all-revenue-generating speed awareness course?

She could try her luck and take it to court and ask for the calibration certificate !
As I know most of the time the cameras and hand guns are not calibrated on time or haven't been at all.
I have done it once years ago and they sent me a letter saying no further action .
Cheers lipsylee .

Last edited:
Possibly depends on the time the offence occurred, section of road involved, and traffic conditions at the time=as evidenced by any police report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom