50 plus drivers prosecuted for driving through a Red X light!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fair comment in this case, though.

Dominic Cummings broke no laws, and in his circumstances I might have done the same (as, I have no doubt, many others might have done, and probably did; the risk was very slight).

Obedience of fools, guidance of wise men... I often exceed the speed limit too :eek: (but not by too much, and so do many others; 55 mph in 50 mph roadworks restrictions, anybody?). It all depends on the circumstances.:)

Ah ! So that’s what the ‘55’ in your handle is for ? 😁😁😁

A bit like - there is no traffic coming down that one way street so i'll take a short cut by going the wrong way up it....

I did that once , when I was 17 , only it had been a two way street just the week before , and I stopped as soon as I’d turned the corner and realised ... got a ticking off from the traffic warden and sent on my way ... no ticket 😊

For years I've bleated that we should all be retested each 5 years,
2 years grace so after 7 years you have no licence.
That and my bleating that all internationals wishing to drive here should attain a level of pc based competence at the port of entry on arrival.
Mrs Me arrived from Russia having effectively bought a licence there, the lessons in a Lada were a complete joke. She didn't go beyond 3rd gear on the test. The hill start was a mound of earth. The town back then had one set of traffic lights and no roundabouts. I learned pretty fast she shouldn't be diving my 2 litre petrol BMW I easily insured her for.

Our bleaders have a lot to answer for, historically too.
Not all foreign driving tests are easy .

An old friend passed his test in Czechoslovakia before the war , and told me that , for the hill start , which was on an actual hill , the examiner would get out and placed an egg under your wheel : if you rolled back and cracked the egg , you failed !

An old friend passed his test in Czechoslovakia before the war , and told me that , for the hill start , which was on an actual hill , the examiner would get out and placed an egg under your wheel : if you rolled back and cracked the egg , you failed !

But wouldn't the rear wheels get it anyway?
In Russia they used a potato under a rear wheel, the whole town would be hoping it was supper time.

In India, on the other hand, those who bother to take a test at all only have to drive in a straight line, make a left turn and stop after 50 yards.

Reactions: 219
In Russia they used a potato under a rear wheel, the whole town would be hoping it was supper time.
AIUI , it was wedged behind the rear wheel , so as long as the car moved only forwards it was fine ...

In Russia wouldn’t they be collecting the mashed potatoes to make Vodka 😁

Reactions: m80
Might be useful to look at an old thread "how accurate is my speedo".

There is a stretch of the A90 just north of Dundee, I think there may be work going on nearby Monday to Friday but nowt at the weekend.
The road goes from 70 to 50 to 30 then back up over a stretch of maybe a mile.
They don’t bother blanking the signs at the weekend though.
Most people now ignore them.

There is a stretch of the A90 just north of Dundee, I think there may be work going on nearby Monday to Friday but nowt at the weekend.

Down here they would have installed speed cameras and they'd be raking in the cash.

Near us the M3 southbound had a temporary 50 mph limit around the M25 slip road while work was being done there. Fair enough, except having installed average speed cameras they then decided to make it permanent. I'm sure you can argue there's a potential safety benefit but there's no 50 mph limit on the other side, or at any other motorway interchange that I know of :dk:

or at any other motorway interchange that I know of :dk:

Off the top of my head .... outside of urban motorways.

M8 Junction 29.

M73 Junction 2.

So if I can think of those then there will be others .....

Speed limits implemented nationally are inconsistent. For example - Milton Keynes has dual carriageways and single carriageways that are NSL (70 and 60 respectively) while urban motorways (eg. Glasgow) and DCs (eg. Stoke on Trent) elsewhere can be limited limited to 50.

M8 Junction 29.

M73 Junction 2.

Speed limits implemented nationally are inconsistent. For example - Milton Keynes has dual carriageways and single carriageways that are NSL (70 and 60 respectively) while urban motorways (eg. Glasgow) and DCs (eg. Stoke on Trent) elsewhere can be limited limited to 50.

I guess there must be other examples of permanent motorway speed restrictions but we travel a lot around the UK up to about Birmingham/Nottingham and I've not personally run across any others (that I can remember 😊). A big contrast to Germany where the motorway speed limits vary wildly from one stretch to the next.

A lot of our non-urban dual carriageways have had 50 (or even 40) limits put on them in recent years. Some stretches are even 30. Also a lot of single carriageway NSL roads reduced to 50 or 40.

Further up there's the junction at Laurencekirk where it drops from 70 to 30 for a few hundred yards , people used to ignore that until the speed cameras went up . Still get morons flying through sometimes though - they'll be the ones with no licence/insurance/unregistered cars etc .

M8 Junction 29.

M73 Junction 2.

M9 Jcts 1A & 2

But if the examiner liked you he would use a ‘hard‘ boiled egg and you passed ! :)

Don’t worry I’ll close the door on the way out 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom