50 plus drivers prosecuted for driving through a Red X light!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Darwin was wrong then, sometimes the unfit do survive ! :wallbash:

Just fines is not enough of a punishment in my opinion. A good dose of penalty points would make these morons think twice.

Deterrence and compliancer is the name of the game.

Cameras work. Particularly averaging cameras.

So the simplest solution is to stick cameras on gantries capable of showing a red X. Drivers will respond.

But hat doesn't solve some of the other problems where signage is ignored.

Well when the red X's go up I use the other lanes,thats not hard to do,so all those drivers took a chance and are going to be fined,the signs I think could be improved are the ones that say junction 36 is closed,now given most drivers do not know where that junction is on that road maybe a little more info would help,having said that yesterday driving on the A130 towards Benfleet in Essex,there was a sign saying a couple of junctions were closed on the M25,so here I am driving at least 20 miles away from the M25 and also going away from it getting that message very strange.

It's morons like these that stopped dead in the outside lane on me once on the A2 heading out of London. To turn off the carriage way. How I wasn't involved in total RTA I never know. And the female driver was oblivious to what they had done. Stopped dead in the most outside lane then indicated to change lane then into the exit lane. Me and my father were dumbfounded to say the least. I'm.so glad I'm not a tailgater. And it was just after lunch time.

Well when the red X's go up I use the other lanes,thats not hard to do,so all those drivers took a chance and are going to be fined,the signs I think could be improved are the ones that say junction 36 is closed,now given most drivers do not know where that junction is on that road maybe a little more info would help,having said that yesterday driving on the A130 towards Benfleet in Essex,there was a sign saying a couple of junctions were closed on the M25,so here I am driving at least 20 miles away from the M25 and also going away from it getting that message very strange.
I wonder how many of us who see the sign about junction closures then try looking on our sat navs whilst driving to see if we need to change route. I know I’ve done it. A bit more repeated info on signs would help.

Fines, penalty points, disqualifications and imprisonment is the answer. :oops: Sod education, 90 % of motorists don‘t like to be told what to do in relation to their driving. You can criticise a man’s wife but god forbid if you criticise his driving. o_O

I wonder how many of us who see the sign about junction closures then try looking on our sat navs whilst driving to see if we need to change route. I know I’ve done it. A bit more repeated info on signs would help.

Satnavs in general aren't very good at junction numbers IME. :(

Mty inclination is to use Google for navigation these days. It usually has diversions covered.

Fines, penalty points, disqualifications and imprisonment is the answer

Lots of jerking creaking knees in this thread, aren't there? FFS... Get a sense of proportion, will you?

Far too often, a lane is closed and there's nothing there, so if you can clearly see the whole road for a decent distance, and traffic is flowing normally in the remaining open lanes, I don't see that you're doing anything hazardous by driving in the closed lane. Yes, you're breaking the law, as indeed you are by doing 100 mph in an AMG on a bone-dry, deserted motorway at 7 a.m. on a sunny Sunday morning, but hazardous? The main objective of traffic laws is to keep the roads safe, and where no hazard exists, penalising drivers simply 'because it's the law' doesn't impress me much.

Obviously, though, if you are going to get caught you don't do it! :wallbash: I'm not sure that in this specific example the drivers who carried on in the closed lane deserve much sympathy; they should have seen both the flooded section, and the police car, and moved out of the closed lane.

Lots of jerking creaking knees in this thread, aren't there? FFS... Get a sense of proportion, will you?

Far too often, a lane is closed and there's nothing there, so if you can clearly see the whole road for a decent distance, and traffic is flowing normally in the remaining open lanes, I don't see that you're doing anything hazardous by driving in the closed lane.

You have clearly failed to recognise my tongue-in-cheek post :doh:
My point still stands though regarding 90 % of motorists don’t like to be told what to do and you have clearly demonstrated what camp you lie in 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: 219
If you drive like that you take a chance and can't complain if you get caught..

Too many ignore signs and I have seen far too many avoidable accidents in driving rain, fog and snow where people have ignored speed limits and lane closures.

Happens regularly on the M6 southwards from Carlisle during winter when the outer lane is closed and ignored by morons in too much of a rush to get to their destination.

Gantry signs in general are notoriously unreliable. We use the motorways a lot very early on Saturday and Sunday mornings when they're largely deserted, and random spurious messages about speed restrictions/queues/fog/etc. are commonplace. Sometimes you can even see the next gantry showing 'end of restriction' or just blank. But the red X for lane closure has had a *lot* of publicity recently ... AFAIK legally they are treated like a red traffic light? So pretty silly to ignore it, IMHO.

Having driven on that section of road in the past, found that unfortunately the overhead gantry signs are not always that accurate. However, that is no excuse for not obeying the signs as per rules etc. Seeing how many cars go down "Red cross" lanes in the past, have to say I am surprised the number of drivers being prosecuted is that low thought it could be at least double that..

You have clearly failed to recognise my tongue-in-cheek post :doh:.My point still stands though regarding 90 % of motorists don’t like to be told what to do and you have clearly demonstrated what camp you lie in 🙂

It all depends on the circumstances. Obedience of fools, guidance of wise men...

Fines, penalty points, disqualifications and imprisonment is the answer. :oops: Sod education, 90 % of motorists don‘t like to be told what to do in relation to their driving. You can criticise a man’s wife but god forbid if you criticise his driving. o_O
How about including a good flogging for good measure ? :D ;)

Sadly there are too many drivers on too few roads for any system to cope without rules, can you even imagine the anarchy ? ignore traffic control when it suits ? :mad:
That is pretty much what we have now - so many red light jumpers - I see them regularly , and not just cyclists .

A point I have made in the past, is that a speed camera that catches many speeding drivers, is clearly not doing its job.

Speed cameras - aka safety cameras - are meant to deter drivers from speeding. If drivers still speed, then the goal hasn't been achieved.

I would argue the same here - collecting fines after the event doesn't help, and isn't making the motorway safer. The Highway Agency should have a rethink, instead of simply blaming motorists for not not being deterred by the fines.

The key objective is achieving a safer motorway, not collecting more fines or finding someone to blame and point the finger at.

Although I hadn't heard of this until this thread, I've read of the flooding since.
A couple of pages discussing the fines for ignoring safety signage and I imagine that a good few more than the 50 will take note in future.
Those 50 examples will talk down't pub and at the golf club, and the message gets out to a few thousand.

I'm also of the mind that such signs should have justification so people have respect instead of fear of outcome. But tbh honest driving darn sarf I get right peed off with those arrogant pillocks who put our lives at greater risk with their f' 'u driving style, like this example.
Far too may have no comprehension of the 2 second ('minimum' distance) rule when behind another, clearly demonstrated by so many brake lights.

Many on here are quick to condemn the offending drivers as selfish barstewards.

But I think part of the issue is that the majority of drivers on the road today took their theory test well before smart motorways ever came into being. In fact, I took my own theory test sitting with the examiner in the car (as I suspect many others here did).

I also suspect that too many drivers are not sure if the red X is the same as a 'no entry' sign or a red light, or perhaps it is akin to the 'lane closed ahead' sign of old.

The latter is an informative sign, which warns drivers that the lane will come to an end in xxx yards, but they can continue and use the lane up to the point where the lane stops. And I think that many drivers interpret the red X is this way.

Of course, 'ignorance of the law' and all that, and drivers should update themselves with new rules and regulations when these are released from time to time, but the reality is that most drivers lean about new signage by word of mouth, or from a bloke down at the pub, or from motoring forums and headlines in the Daily Mail....

Of course, 'ignorance of the law' and all that, and drivers should update themselves with new rules and regulations when these are released from time to time, but the reality is that most drivers lean about new signage by word of mouth, or from a bloke down at the pub, or from motoring forums and headlines in the Daily Mail.

For years I've bleated that we should all be retested each 5 years,
2 years grace so after 7 years you have no licence.
That and my bleating that all internationals wishing to drive here should attain a level of pc based competence at the port of entry on arrival.
Mrs Me arrived from Russia having effectively bought a licence there, the lessons in a Lada were a complete joke. She didn't go beyond 3rd gear on the test. The hill start was a mound of earth. The town back then had one set of traffic lights and no roundabouts. I learned pretty fast she shouldn't be diving my 2 litre petrol BMW I easily insured her for.

Our bleaders have a lot to answer for, historically too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom