500 SE Auto going for under £1k in less than an hour??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Congrats, it looks very nice. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

OK - just had a quick look at a couple of the pics - should be a cover over the distributor cap - protects it from dirt/moisture .

The upper switch is the air-con switch : in the up position it acts as a dehumidifier when using the demister function of the heater / down is for air-con ; the switch below is for recirculation and operated a vacuum actuated flap .

Anything else you need to know - just ask .

Very nice car by the way ; I like them - I have two :D

Thanks mate - nice to know what that was for! :thumb: Does it have heated wing mirrors? and water jets for the windscreen? If so - how does it work?

Jonty - a nice looking car which cosmetically doesn't look too bad. At some point ALL W126's rust just in front of the front wheelarches. General concensus is to replace the wing if it bothers you - mercedes sell the originals for about 230 quid each. The chrome on the bumpers is another weak point and is a little pricey to replace. If you're lucky you only need the quarter piece for the corner which (I think) is about 90 quid. the larger centre section retails from Mercedes for about 180. if you need a new owners manual eBay is abviously worth a look, but failing that the original is still available from Mercedes. From this link Mercedes-Benz Collection Shop - Modellautos (1:18, 1:43, 1:24, 1:87) - Uhren, Mercedes-Benz Fahrzeug-Pflege, Kinder-Spielzeug, Technische Literatur go to the literature section, then owners manuals. It'll cost you just under 35 Euros.

As Pontoneer rightly points out the cover for the distributor cap is missing. Personally I'd look to invest in a new cover, distributor cap, rotor arm & HT leads for your car - Olly is the man who'll put you on the right road there.

With respect to the heated bits the mirrors and jets are heated to stop freezing & I believe the bottom few inches of the screen are kept warm to stop the wipers from freezing to them when they're parked.

The more you investigate a W126 the more you'll find some great engineering solutions rather than the more modern black box solutions. A well maintained W126 is undoubtedly one of the best quality products Mercedes ever built.

Incidentally, if you have any minor electrical gremlins my first port of call would be the fusebox - the fuses are the continental bullet type and replacing all of them and cleaning the electrical relays can halt all manor of minor issues - the best tenner you'll ever spend on one of these.

Enjoy it !

What a thread - excellent!

Glad the purchase went as well as it did. As has been mentioned the front wings under the indicators always go, as do the bumper chromes. They sometimes come up on ebay cheap, but most scrappies know what they're worth, as do prospective buyers.
Linky to an owners manual for w126 v8's here on ebay.

It would be a good idea to pop-off the dust coverings of the jacking points just to have a look for corrosion there. All in all though, looks like a sound buy. I'm seriously considering getting a w126 again.

Good luck with the check-up at PCS!

jonty i have a cracking painter who does all my stuff he's in West End, on the way to Woking, right off the a322.
hit me up if you want his details

wish i would have seen this before it ended, wud have been worth a spin on the boat

The more you investigate a W126 the more you'll find some great engineering solutions rather than the more modern black box solutions. A well maintained W126 is undoubtedly one of the best quality products Mercedes ever built.

O learned one, can you enlighten some of us unlearned ones about it's design features? Genuinely interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom