500 SEC Ignition Module / Amplifier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sonder13

Car
500 SEC
Hi Everyone.

Does anyone know whether an ignition module can be taken apart and checked for dry joints etc, rather than spending £250 on a secondhand one? Mine has just packed up and I want to minimise my expenditure if possible.

Also does anyone know the best place to get an ignition module should a repair not be possible.

Many thanks,

Don't know how successful repairs on EZLs are. Not very I suspect.

I have these if you find you need a good used one.

Afaik they are pretty difficult to repair. Rumour has it that the output section can sometimes be repaired but if the ignition advance curve chip is fried the unit is finished.

It has the 2x4 pin sockets.

I read on another forum that some of these units are interchangeable between models. Is this true as I know of a 420 SE being broken broken near me?

Thanks,

It has the 2x4 pin sockets.

I read on another forum that some of these units are interchangeable between models. Is this true as I know of a 420 SE being broken broken near me?

Thanks,

The 420 ezl unit is not suitable for a 500, you need to swap these like for like.

The four pin units are cheap & readily available on ebay, it's the 8 pin versions that are expensive.

Search ebay using the MB part # on your own EZL & you'll find several for sale.

You can use an EZL from a 420, 500 or 560 without any difficulties. Infact you could probably use a more readily available EZL from a 6 or 4 cylinder engine, they all do the same thing.

Problem Solved

I managed to get a second hand ignition module for £145 andeverything is working perfectly now.

Thanks for everyones help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom