500 SEC, needs a bit of looking at...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Money laundering could look like this (I am not for one minute implying that this sale is part of that your honour) ...

Some people have a LOT of cash that they can not account for and can certainly not bank it. This is becoming a pressing problem for those with a lot of old £20 notes 'in stock' as they need to be spent or banked before being taken out of circulation . The date has not been announced , but when it is you have 6 months to bank them or spend them. So starting to get rid of them now is the wise thing to do for certain people. Twenty pound notes are favoured over £50 notes at this level as they attract less scrutiny when using in day to day spending.

One of them finds an 'asset' with a fancy name lying in a field and buys it cash from the farmer, this asset is put up for sale in plain sight , the advert states many legit types of payments including 'cash on collection'

Someone, possibly in cahoots with the seller buys the asset - which, on paper looks like a luxury item - collects it (not) and hands over the cash.

The seller then banks the cash (cleans it) , and if questioned can (sort of) show a bill of sale for a luxury item , the money is then shared between the parties involved.

It might be a bit far fetched and a convoluted way of cleaning a bit of cash but it's a method that is used by some. Not this seller, I might add officer...

It's done all the time with art, property, cars, watches, boats etc etc etc. Private criminal gangs all the way up to corrupt govt officials are running these scams all the time to layer and eventually clean up money,

They're not bidding on the car, they're bidding on the worlds most active spider.

Interestingly, the bootlid was debadged at the factory so wouldn't rely on them

Datacard
Identification number: WDB12604412003569 9
Chassis

Sales designation: 500 SEC
Order number: 0 9 221 06116
Paint code 1: 040 C 220 CANADA SPECIAL EDITION
Equipment: 951 No code designation available
Engine no.: 117963 12 016577
Transmission: 722311 02 267342
SA code
040 C 220 CANADA SPECIAL EDITION
256 RADIO HI-LINE USA VERSION
260 TYPE DESTINATION ON TRUNK LID - ELIMINATION
286 LUGGAGE NETS ON DRIVER RESTS L AND R
410 No code designation available
430 _______ - 19951002 - HEADREST IN THE REAR, LEFT AND RIGHT
430 117____ - 20090724 - OFFROAD PACKAGE
444 No code designation available
452 No code designation available
470 _______ - 19780601 - ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)
470 _______ - 19700401 - FAN CLUTCH
470 117____ - 20071011 - SEMI-ACTIVE ROLL STABILISATION (SEMI ARS)
470 _______ - 19661201 - SPECIAL EXPORT VERSION 3
504 No code designation available
570 FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT
581 _______ - 19951002 - AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONER
581 117____ - 20070201 - AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
581 117____ - 20110221 - AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL
590 ALL-ROUND WD-GREEN GLASS,HEATED REAR WINDOW-VSG
600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT
611 EXIT LIGHTS FOR DRIVER DOORS
640 15-HOLE LIGHT ALLOY RIMS
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
682 FIRE EXTINGUISHER
856 BR 140 MODEL REFINEMENT OPT. SCOPES/MY 95
870 FAX UNIT IN REAR ARMREST
871 117____ - 20141118 - SENSORS FOR TRUNK LID OPENING/CLOSING
871 117____ - 20150402 - SENSORS FOR TRUNK LID OPENING/CLOSING
871 _______ - 19961031 - TEMPORARY INAPPLICABLE CODE
951A No code designation available
Other
Lamps: BOSCH

Well, it ended up going for £8,886.00 which, given the state of it, I'd class as optimistic.

When you could buy THIS ONE for c£8k or THIS ONE for around £9, then the one in the original advert does seem a tad overpriced. Both need spending on but they're up and running which is a start I suppose.

Well, it ended up going for £8,886.00 which, given the state of it, I'd class as optimistic.

When you could buy THIS ONE for c£8k or THIS ONE for around £9, then the one in the original advert does seem a tad overpriced. Both need spending on but they're up and running which is a start I suppose.
Based on the 2 cars you have shown us here either the buyer knows something we don't , the money laundering option looks more likely . Or the buyer is a fool .
One of the three.

I think that the 951 code indicates that it went to AMG to get some goodies. But in the state it's in? I think that there were some people there that were helping the bidding along.

I think that there were some people there that were helping the bidding along.

No doubt... as is rife with many auction items.

One has to decide a limit and stick to it (£0 in this case for me).

Those who don't bend over a lot I guess!

Judging by the fact the car has been listed once again, I would say money laundering is not what the seller is looking at, he is just very optimistic...

Picture 12 is interesting as it shows where the rear window panel was welded in... For whatever reason!

Yes the bidding was suspect at the start you get the bottom feeders who will bid up to say 1500 then we get a zero rater take it up,then another bidder takes it even further up,still as long as it is nobody in our club thats ok,I like to think everybody on here is at least sane most of the time,I suppose we have to wait a week before we get I have just bought this 500sec on ebay :wallbash:

Where us it relisted? I can't find it on eBay.

Picture 12 is interesting as it shows where the rear window panel was welded in... For whatever reason!

I seem to remember the rear window surround is very prone to rust so that could be why.

If I were bidding and won it, I'd be paying cash - after it had been hauled out of its current position and he'd demonstrated that the engine would run. Even then, I'd take the hit as a non-paying bidder rather than hand over the money if I wasn't happy.

Then again, if I was bidding over £9K for it, I'd have to really REALLY REALLY want it, so I'd probably be easily pleased...
Or certified......lol

Different car...

How embarrassing. Sorry guys!
That’s ok, the 1000SEL ad was a fun one as well:
“...don’t know if starts/runs...been offered a Large amount for the engine already”
“Signs of rust here and there”

Even though the asking price for the 1000SEL is very optimistic, personally i would say it is worth a lot more than the swamp bound SEC.

The rust around the rear screen area however looks pretty terminal to me.

...been offered a Large amount for the engine already”
I wonder if someone thinks it is a 10 litre V8 lump? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom