500SEC problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mduddn

Car
Mercedes 500SEC
Hi Guys,

Just managed to get my hands on my all time favourite car....W126 SEC!! Followed loads of threads on this forum about the car...some really great projects. Mine is a shadow by comparison. I am having some troubles though and wondered if people with experience could help:

(1) I'm having the shocks and springs replaced....H&R springs and bilstein B8 shocks. I believe the original lowering was done by cutting/compressing springs, the car is currently very low and I want the job done properly. I've ordered these off prestige cars in hampshire.

(2) I'm having trouble with vibration above 60mph. It was initially happening on acceleration only. Then we changed the couplings and centre bearing on the propshaft and although the vibration got better it still did not go away completely. Now in fact it seems to happen on both acceleration and deceleration.

p.s. tracking and wheel balance have been done.

(3) Also despite wheel alignment the car still veers to the left. ??cause

(4) Lastly on revving the car and acceleration i hear a almost ticking sound, which started after the car hit a bump (too low, hence wanting it raised).

Any light on how to address these issues would be gratefully received!!!

mduddn

Attachments

• IMG_0512crop.jpg
    IMG_0512crop.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 307
Sorry I can`t help, but what a fab motor in that super colour blue, these must be getting rare now. Hope you get your problems sorted and Merry Christmas.
Reggie

If the car is pulling to one side
and
If you are having new springs and shocks
and
If you are having vibration problems
Then
These factors may all be related.
You really ought to get a full 4-wheel alignment done after the fitting of the new springs and shocks.
There may be chassis geometry issues to sort.

You're buying the springs from PCS, just ask Ollie he's a great guy and won't rip you off.

Get it down to Olly to fit the springs and shocks and he'll check the cups at the same time.

Then get him to look over the other bits, it will save you a lot of ballache getting it diagnosed right first time.

Lovely shape these cars I deeply regret selling mine but it was sat mostly unused due to Mrs RedC220 calling it a "drug dealers car":doh:

Still sounds very driveshaft related- and if changing the bearing helped, it still sounds like a consideration. I hope it hasn't got bent at some stage, esp with the car so low.
You can always try the ol' jubliee clip method to mess about with the balance and see if you can change how it feels, or just get it sent away for balancing

Great motor,congrats
By the way those wheels cost a small fortune in Germany,are they MAE or Keskin?
For the vibration - had same problem on all my mercs
1 cl - reason springs were cut
2 s500 - tyres were budget,changed for proper ones prob solved

cheers guys....yeah I didn't realise Ollie was a member on this forum. I'm getting them to fit in the new shocks and springs, so will ask him to do a overhaul of the car to check for any extra jobs. The car had a full/major service from mercedes 1 month ago, so i hope most things are fine on it.

The ride quality is good but can be hard on the rough roads of the UK..... so i'm hoping this shock and spring setup will improve the quality whilst maintaining the look.

I also want a protect the car from rust! I park it in the garage (which I cleared specifically for the car). How about the waxoyl treatment to the base? anyone know how much this costs and where abouts in the west london area i can get this done?

Borys....yes the wheels are original oz racing MAE wheels 3 piece they have all the appropriate stamps. They don't seem to be popular here in the UK (esp. the monoblock/2 piece versions). In Germany they are selling very similar offset and staggering for 3k+.

mduddn

You wont regret going to Ollie and Jack. Great guys. They will also Dinitrol the underside for a very reasonable rate. I think around £150-200 but not sure. Ask them and get it all done at the same time. If they say something needs doing you can be sure it does. They will not try to find unnecessary jobs.

cheers guys....yeah I didn't realise Ollie was a member on this forum. I'm getting them to fit in the new shocks and springs, so will ask him to do a overhaul of the car to check for any extra jobs. The car had a full/major service from mercedes 1 month ago, so i hope most things are fine on it.

The ride quality is good but can be hard on the rough roads of the UK..... so i'm hoping this shock and spring setup will improve the quality whilst maintaining the look.

I also want a protect the car from rust! I park it in the garage (which I cleared specifically for the car). How about the waxoyl treatment to the base? anyone know how much this costs and where abouts in the west london area i can get this done?

Borys....yes the wheels are original oz racing MAE wheels 3 piece they have all the appropriate stamps. They don't seem to be popular here in the UK (esp. the monoblock/2 piece versions). In Germany they are selling very similar offset and staggering for 3k+.

mduddn

Get them advertised on Ebay.de, you'll not manage more than 20% of that figure in the UK.

Plenty of Firms on Shipley doing Europe runs so easy to get them over there.

MAE wheels R life time keepers.
Dream of mine,one day will get a set with rediculous offset LOL

Cheers guys....the wheels are 9x18's et 35 in front with 11.5x18's et 25 rears. I wasn't sure about them to start with as most people seem to love or loathe them. But I think they suit the car, and are a bit different!

Marmite wheels... I think that they look right on the car. Too many people putting huge bling wheels on these cars that just do not look correct.

Getting the tracking done several times made no difference at all to my 126 SE. It didnt veer but felt very lacking in confidence and needed a lot of concentration to drive on the motorway.

Full four wheel alignment is what you need on a Merc. The dealer can do it. Places with a 'Hunter' machine will be able to do it. Takes about an hour and cost above £70 but was the best money i spent on my car. Transformed it.

Hope its that simple for you. Btw those wheels are unbelievably hot on your SEC.

Getting the tracking done several times made no difference at all to my 126 SE. It didnt veer but felt very lacking in confidence and needed a lot of concentration to drive on the motorway.

Full four wheel alignment is what you need on a Merc. The dealer can do it. Places with a 'Hunter' machine will be able to do it. Takes about an hour and cost above £70 but was the best money i spent on my car. Transformed it.

Hope its that simple for you. Btw those wheels are unbelievably hot on your SEC.

Thanks for the reply.....that's exactly how I would describe it....lack of confidence. I'm hoping after the new Shocks and springs get put in and repeat tracking happens it willall get better.

To be honest the bodywork( including dry parcel shelf) and especially the interior of the car are so good that it's these few snags that are letting the car down.

Mduddn

Also would guys recommend premium unleaded or regular for these cars?

Regular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom