500SL advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IMD

Car
1997 SL500
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying an SL.

I've 2 cars in mind that I may go and look at, unfortunately many hundreds of miles apart!

One is a 1993 500SL with approx 90000 miles, the other a 1995 SL500 with 160000 miles. Both look in great condition, with 3 owners and comprehensive, documented service history.

The higher mileage vehicle has been used regularly, whilst the lower mileage one has only done 3000 miles in the last 4 years....

My question is, will the lower mileage one be the best bet, or can such a low use in recent years cause problems. I know the big V8s go on and on if serviced well....I've just never bought a car with such a high milerage before.

The lower mileage car is approx £1600 more than the higher mileage model......

Do I want a car with such high miles?

Decisions, decisions! Best go and look at them both I suppose!

What sort of money are these 129's?

I'm just thinking that it may be an expensive excercise running a cheap R129 so if you are looking down the lower end of the market you may not be looking at most cost effective option.

Unfortunately, you will probably have to look at both. It's as much about the state of the car itself as the facts and figures - there are an increasing number of mongrels out there.

It's all about history and condition; you need to know that the car hasn't been skimped on.

Price will be a factor on higher mileage cars but i would favour a cherished high miler over a lowere mileage car with a few question marks all day long.

I would also favour a private sale as you can question the person that ran it directly. You're gut feeling about them can count for a lot.

Cheers,

Dan

Low mileage isn't an issue if the car has been used regularly and serviced properly, rather than (say) standing neglected in a garage for 3 years at some point. Many (like mine) are not used as everyday cars and only come out at weekends etc. when the weather is nice. In terms of high mileage, if looked after it shouldn't be a problem ... particularly with the 500 where the engine is relatively lightly stressed.

As mentioned above you need to see the cars yourself as condition will vary enormously.

If the sellers will give you the VIN numbers you could at least look up the data cards for fitted options. If ADS is fitted you know you need to allow for time to do full checks on the suspension! Allow £400 ish if the rear windows are cracked.
Good luck

I'd always recommend going for one which has been used regularly. Mine was used moderately and I had no end of teething issues when I bought it.

Perfect now though and loving it. The R129's are a great car but they really don't like being stored away unused for long periods.

On the lower mileage one take it up to at least 70 - storage for long time periods often squashes the tyres out of round as the cars are so heavy, and once this has happened (vibration at speed) they rarely come back to normal....

Good luck!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom