507 and C63 Coupe at Bedford Circuit 22-03-14

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by Alex L, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Alex L

Alex L Active Member

Car:
    2011 - C63 Estate
    Anyone on here own at Bedford circuit yesterday?

Photos to follow

2. DuncS3

DuncS3 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2017 C63S Coupe, 2005 E46 M3, 1988 Audi quattro
    Hi Alex - yes I was in the 507. First outing for the Merc at Bedford but it went well round the track. Love to see some pics :)

What were you in?

Dunc

3. OP
    OP
    Alex L

Alex L Active Member

Car:
    2011 - C63 Estate
    Hi Dunc,

I was there with my friend "testing" his Caterham Academy car as his first proper race is next month.

I didn't bring the C63, instead my diesel 3 series loaded up with tools etc.

It's nice to hear a C63 at full chat from the outside. You seemed pretty tidy, the other coupe less so but perhaps he was trying to drift at every opportunity?

I note you didn't have 507 wheels on, are they track wheels or did you spec the 18s?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. DuncS3

Car:
    They are track/winters - looks so much better with the 507 19" wheels but cheaper to track with 18"s. The c63 is definitely not a track car but it is pretty capable around a track like Bedford - it had lots of grip out of the corners too. The other guy I chatted to on the day, not sure if it was intentional or not but he did get a talking too about drifting I think as the Marshall told me off for it when I was waiting to go on track (mistaken identity).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  5. OP
    OP
    Alex L

Alex L Active Member

Car:
    2011 - C63 Estate
    I was going to ask you for a passenger ride but didn't get the opportunity, took our c63 estate around Silverstone last year, it's a bit heavy for the track and I was trying not to melt the tyres/brakes.

Good call on the 18s, I just took our winter 18s off which are the same size front and rear so wouldn't fancy tracking them.

Did you suffer much tyre wear?

6. zltm089

zltm089 New Member

Car:
    335i
    Pics looking good!!!

7. DuncS3

Car:
    I have the standard sidewall shoulder scrubb on the fronts - The C63 can understeer a bit when really pushing it and it seems to me that it can be heavy on the front tyres more than the rears.

It was a lot of fun out there though. I think it was in the faster car group on the day - I think when I was out on track the fastest (not including Radicals/Atoms) appeared to be the silver/orange Clio (cup car?) green TT RS and subaru P1 - all with track tyres and obviously modded.

I have done Bedford in my e92 m3 and I was about 10 mph faster on the long straight than in my M3 (140 vs 150 give or take) - thats quite significant.

In terms of oil temp - the car never went above 125 and that is at full pelt for approx 20 minutes sessions. What I did notice though was that when it got warmer - 123-125 degrees there was a delay/miss/cut in power when changing gear at the top of the rev range. I was in manual mode at first and thought maybe it was me so switched to Sports + but saw the same - to be honest I then left it in Sports + as it handled the gear changes fine (felt a bit bad about doing that :)). In terms of traction control I was in Sports mode all the time - didnt switch traction fully off but only because in Sports mode traction control never appeared to come on or interfere in any obvious way. I had one 'moment', when I was probably one lap to many over when I should have came in and the green TT was getting close (which distracted me a bit - my fault) and I had a minor tank slapper at the hairpin before the straight but no real drama and didn't go off track.

Brakes were strong but on my last session I did get some fade at the end of the long straight chasing the 996 Turbo X50 - decided to call it a day then :)

Overall the car was extremely solid and only needed about 15 mins rest between sessions - I used 2.5 tanks of fuel on the day - arrived fully topped up, had to fill up again by noon then again in the afternoon leaving just under half a tank to get home.

Overall a fun day - I am sure the diff helped a lot when getting traction out of corners.

Dunc

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. OP
    OP
    Alex L

Alex L Active Member

Car:
    2011 - C63 Estate
    You seemed to match the green TT for speed from what I could see so must have been the quickest thing on track, in a straight line at least.

The Clio weighed exactly a tonne, was on slicks and had a blue printed 250bhp engine. The driver seemed quite handy too and had lots of track time/tuition as I was speaking to his dad.

Presumably yours has the bigger oil cooler over the standard C63? Or is there still a performance pack option on the 507? I'd be interested to drive an LSD and a Non-LSD equipped car back to back on track.

The X50 looked rapid but dull and sounded incredibly quiet. I could tell you were in Sport + due to the bark on up changes. Mine is a 2011 pre-MCT box so I only have the Sport option.

We did 2.5 tanks in the Caterham which equated to about £60 in fuel...bit of a difference

9. DuncS3

Car:
  10. The _Don

The _Don Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mb