507 or not??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seesixtythree

Car
audi
Guys

What would you buy a c63 507 or a new c63, both are now similarly priced. Will the 507 hold value? Would you buy from an independent trader a car worth over £30k?

opinions welcome?

Personally, I'd buy the newer 205 version although I have no idea on the depreciation of that model. The 507 appears to hold its value very well due to its exclusivity. Like the C63 BS I think it will continue to be a good value purchase.
It wouldn't worry me buying from an independant trader, but I'd need a pre purchase inspection done by a good indy to pick up any potential problems. Having a warranty is a personal choice I feel.

Thanks is that simply because uk the 205 is the more advanced car? I probably agree with you the 507 just looks so much better imo. The other thought is I’ve just driven home in a 240 bhp hatchback on drenched roads and maybe the c43 is a better shout as a daily again any thoughts?

^ I love the shape of the 204, but the interior of the 205 is so much nicer. It also has a better engine IMO (cue disagreements:D)
For me, each new model has been better than the previous one and the 204 > 205 is no exception.

As a daily, it would depend on the mileage as to whether a C43 is a better bet. I know if I bought a C43, I'd always be wondering if I'd made the right choice. I don't think that would happen with either C63.
Would I be right in thinking you used to have a C63 in the past?

Haha yep unless you’ve seen past posts you are psychic. I had a 204 c63 coupe loved the way it sounded and looked the performance was a bit lost on me as I didn’t really have time or the space to use it. I’ve got a mini challenge 210 nice car but isn’t a v8. Ideally a saloon would be sensible with kids but I reckon a coupe would work as I have a family hack for kid duties. I’m just not sure if going back to a 204 makes sense with like you say tech advancements etc albeit it’s a 507.

Only you can decide. For me it had to be the W204 as I’m not a huge fan of turbo charged engine power delivery. There will never be another 6.2 V8 so I thought I’d buy a 507 and hang onto it for a few years. Historically if I get past 2 years of ownership I’m doing well. The C63 is also the first model I’ve ever owned, sold and then a few years later bought another one.

Only you can decide. For me it had to be the W204 as I’m not a huge fan of turbo charged engine power delivery. There will never be another 6.2 V8 so I thought I’d buy a 507 and hang onto it for a few years. Historically if I get past 2 years of ownership I’m doing well. The C63 is also the first model I’ve ever owned, sold and then a few years later bought another one.

Depends , if I had the choice of a 507 edition or the non s c63, I would probably go 507 edition if the 205 didn't have the driver assistance package and wasnt an s . Also depends on use of the car, if it is going to have family use , then a 205 wagon ride is very comfortable in comfort mode . If it is just a toy for sound , then the 507 is highly compelling.

The c43 is not interesting enough for me personally.

The two engines are very different , the 205 is far more unhinged and slidey than the 204 which needs to be revved hard for the same effect. The 204 ofcourse is very linear but the handling isnt quite as sharp and neither is the transmission. Of course best to drive both. If it were me, the 507 is more exclusive but equally the s205 c63s wagon is very rare and is a riot. That would be my personal pick, then next, a 507 edition if the price is right

Last edited:
Thanks is that simply because uk the 205 is the more advanced car? I probably agree with you the 507 just looks so much better imo. The other thought is I’ve just driven home in a 240 bhp hatchback on drenched roads and maybe the c43 is a better shout as a daily again any thoughts?
Put it this way , the 205 is slightly faster, handles better, has plenty more torque , much better transmission , nicer cabin, is more comfortable , can actually do 30+mpg on the motorway lol , better tech, but...
The 507 is more exclusive, looks a lot better , sounds better ,( may hold residual value better? ), has a 6.2 litre engine and is a future classic

The 507 won't drive notably different to your last C63, especially if yours was mapped. It's mostly cosmetic stuff, the lighter engine internals and a bit more power as standard. Only the Black Series gets wider geometry and bigger brakes. The composite discs fitted to the 507 can be used on any C63 and unless you're very hard on the brakes you don't need them.

If you care about value retention more than anything else = 507.
If you care about which car is the better drive more than anything else = 205.

I doubt you will find a 507 at a main dealer now - they are just too old.

Both V8 cars are very satisfying ownership prospects, you wont be disappointed either way.

As always condition and history are key, but I would personally want and unconnected independent mechanic to check out any high value car from an independent dealer.

But...If you care about daily driving 4WD, fuel economy and comfort should really be more relevant than anything else so for a similar price, I'd probably be looking at an W213 E43 (though really I'd be wanting an E63)

I doubt you will find a 507 at a main dealer now - they are just too old.

Both V8 cars are very satisfying ownership prospects, you wont be disappointed either way.

As always condition and history are key, but I would personally want and unconnected independent mechanic to check out any high value car from an independent dealer.

But...If you care about daily driving 4WD, fuel economy and comfort should really be more relevant than anything else so for a similar price, I'd probably be looking at an W213 E43 (though really I'd be wanting an E63)

You will be surprised - I bought my 507 from a main dealer a couple of months ago. They do come up now and again.

Saying Goodbye to the C63 AMG 6.2 V8. - /CHRIS HARRIS ON CARS

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

By the sounds of what you are saying the 205 is all round better car but if I really want a 507 then the car I should go for. It’s difficult I love the look of the 507 with its wheels and bonnet vents. But if I’m honest I don’t get the opportunity to do spirited drives anymore so I wonder if I’m just wasting my time.

Hahaha fair point, need to mull it over there’s a silver coupe for sale at GC motors bit far from me but might have to make the trip if it keeps nagging me over the next few days.

Hahaha fair point, need to mull it over there’s a silver coupe for sale at GC motors bit far from me but might have to make the trip if it keeps nagging me over the next few days.
If you do go there be very detailed with your inspection. Also it won’t have a warranty- no matter what the advert says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom