507?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c32andy

Car
c63 amg ppp
Hi all

I've owned my 63 for 4years now I fancy a 507 but I want ltd as standard they seem to be quite rare..any one selling one please let me know.

If you're after a 507, why let the LSD be a deal breaker?

You'll potentially miss out on a better overall car that could be easily retrofit with a quaife or similar aftermarket unit.

Of course it should have been fitted as standard...but it wasn't

I agree with Mark44, I avoided speccing the merc diff on my new 507 as I considered it an inferior unit to the quaife which I fitted later.

I agree with Mark44, I avoided speccing the merc diff on my new 507 as I considered it an inferior unit to the quaife which I fitted later.

In what way is it inferior?

I agree with the above, find the best 507 you can, don't let the diff be a deal-breaker. I spend about 2mths looking for my car and the diff was a "must-have". As (amazingly), these cars are rare with a diff, you're limiting your pool of what are already hard to find cars. The only cars for sale during my search that had an LSD we significantly modified, so not of interest to me. You can add a diff later and I agree, it's an essential thing to have as without, these cars are terribly traction limited!

MSL have a black friday deal..... I guess I'm off to place my order ;)

In what way is it inferior?

Inferior... From memory the merc unit the merc unit was more expensive, needs servicing and can wear out. Quaiffe is a sealed unit that does not need servicing. I also remember researching that the diff locking charecteristics are more agressive and more suited to the 507

Inferior... From memory the merc unit the merc unit was more expensive, needs servicing and can wear out. Quaiffe is a sealed unit that does not need servicing. I also remember researching that the diff locking charecteristics are more agressive and more suited to the 507

The merc unit is more expensive because it's a better designed and manufactured diff. None of that torque biasing sh!te that sends all the torque to the airborne wheel which Quaife sell. TB diffs are far from being 'aggressive' which is why they are so popular with the road users. As per servicing and wear, unless Quaife stuff is made out of unicorn tears, it will wear just as much if not faster that any other diff. And whereas you can swap the plates in the regular (read proper) diff, it's worth checking how much Quaife would want for refurbishing of their stuff.

Bottom line. I get it that people want to be happy with their choice but to call a proper diff 'inferior' to what is essentially an emulation, is... unwise.

You seem rather angry..were all enthusiasts here.

Not really. Just felt it was worth clearing up some misinformation posted by a guy on the internet I've never met - that is all.

Fair enough... 4 years ago (when purchasing brand new) I sought the advice of experts to spec my new car and I followed that advice. When my car is old and I need to do it up I will seek your advice.

The merc unit is more expensive because it's a better designed and manufactured diff. None of that torque biasing sh!te that sends all the torque to the airborne wheel which Quaife sell. TB diffs are far from being 'aggressive' which is why they are so popular with the road users. As per servicing and wear, unless Quaife stuff is made out of unicorn tears, it will wear just as much if not faster that any other diff. And whereas you can swap the plates in the regular (read proper) diff, it's worth checking how much Quaife would want for refurbishing of their stuff.

I dont often feel the need to counter a point on a forum , but in this case I will make an exception.

more expensive because it's a better designed and manufactured diff.

Its more to do with a captive market of people that felt the need to spec the LSD at ordering their car time. It couldnt ( and cant ) be retrofitted by MB.

torque biasing sh!te that sends all the torque to the airborne wheel which Quaife sell.
You are basing this on a post from a caterham forum where the cars were bumping over kerbs. If you are getting airborne on the road , you are doing it wrong.

from being 'aggressive' which is why they are so popular with the road users
Compared to the OEM LSD the diff is considered that it locks at a lower level of slip. Some call it more progressive.

nless Quaife stuff is made out of unicorn tears, it will wear just as much if not faster that any other diff

You cannot quantify that in any way , shape or form. However , I invite you to take a look at the Quaife manufactures site :

What sort of maintenance is required when using a Quaife ATB differential?

There is no additional maintenance required when using the Quaife ATB differential. It is a ‘fit and forget’ item without any internal plates, springs or washers to wear out.

regular (read proper) diff, it's worth checking how much Quaife would want for refurbishing of their stuff.
I assume you are talking about a plate based diff and not a ATB based diff ?

Having actually driven two c63 ; one with a MB OEM diff and one with a quaife I couldnt tell a great deal of difference. I have tracked my Quaife c63 extensively and haven nothing but praise for the item.

I dont often feel the need to counter a point on a forum , but in this case I will make an exception.

Given that you only come here to update a thread on your C63, I'm flattered! :rolleyes:

Its more to do with a captive market of people that felt the need to spec the LSD at ordering their car time. It couldnt ( and cant ) be retrofitted by MB.

I don't see what the actual diff technolody has to do with it (speccing the diff at the time of car purchase). Because the tech is what my post was about. If Quiafe stuff was better, surely AMG would use it instead of the plate, which they have been for several generations of cars?

Last time I checked (approx 1/2 year ago), you could buy a locking diff directly from the main dealer. It would come complete with a housing and cost around £4k but they will happily sell you one.

You are basing this on a post from a caterham forum where the cars were bumping over kerbs. If you are getting airborne on the road , you are doing it wrong.

What you're describing won't happen to me as I will never buy a diff for the road use in the first place. And I've no idea what post from a caterham forum you're referring to.

Compared to the OEM LSD the diff is considered that it locks at a lower level of slip. Some call it more progressive.

Well, the gentleman said the Quaife 'had more aggressive characteristics'. Perhaps I should have clarified if he meant 'more progressive'? But I digress...

You cannot quantify that in any way , shape or form. However , I invite you to take a look at the Quaife manufactures site :

What sort of maintenance is required when using a Quaife ATB differential?

There is no additional maintenance required when using the Quaife ATB differential. It is a ‘fit and forget’ item without any internal plates, springs or washers to wear out.

Sorry but I just did. Changing diff oil once in 50 or 100K miles is hardly a maintenance for an AMG owner. The wear on the plates will be dicated by how the car is driven. Personally never heard of any AMG owner ever mentioning about rebuilding a factory diff in his car. Maybe the whole 'fit and forget' is just Quaife's marketing point for selling their diffs?

I assume you are talking about a plate based diff and not a ATB based diff ?

Having actually driven two c63 ; one with a MB OEM diff and one with a quaife I couldnt tell a great deal of difference. I have tracked my Quaife c63 extensively and haven nothing but praise for the item.

And I have no problem with that, friend. This, however, has nothing to do with the claim that MB diff was 'inferior' which is why I raised the question.

I am still finding my way around the forum , so I dont post too much yet. Likewise, I am flattered that you know I have a thread and have read it.

The reason for a company using one tech or another normally boils down to cost in my experience. There is a degree of suitability but ultimately cost is the over riding factor - hence the c63 retro fit ( thanks for the info - when I enquired MB wouldnt sell me the diff on its own ) is £4k. I suspect if we could get the part from a non MB source it would be a whole lot cheaper .

The aggression / progression is a subjective thing. I found the MB OEM diff a more lenient item , the quaife diff locks a lot more easily and the rear slides a fair bit more.

Diff oil is a 2k mile , then a 37k ( I think , please correct me if wrong ) and 100k service item. Reason - its plated. The Quaife is geared . It doesnt require the servicing

Has anyone done interstellar miles in a c63 ? Despite some being nigh on 10 years old , I dont see many ( any ?! ) > 100000mi cars. I guess its hard to judge if they need to rebuilt.

I am still finding my way around the forum , so I dont post too much yet. Likewise, I am flattered that you know I have a thread and have read it.

I like what you've done to your car so far and I'm looking forward to the updates. Not many C63 owners manage to go past a remap and a set of go fast stripes (figuratively speaking).

The reason for a company using one tech or another normally boils down to cost in my experience. There is a degree of suitability but ultimately cost is the over riding factor - hence the c63 retro fit ( thanks for the info - when I enquired MB wouldnt sell me the diff on its own ) is £4k. I suspect if we could get the part from a non MB source it would be a whole lot cheaper .

It could be that (the cost) but it could also be because they found one to be better suited than the other and stick with what works. The difference in cost of one diff over the other (£500-1000?) would make no impact on the sale of AMG cars. I think it's a case of better components here but it's only my personal opinion.

The aggression / progression is a subjective thing. I found the MB OEM diff a more lenient item , the quaife diff locks a lot more easily and the rear slides a fair bit more.

Diff oil is a 2k mile , then a 37k ( I think , please correct me if wrong ) and 100k service item. Reason - its plated. The Quaife is geared . It doesnt require the servicing

It sounds correct (the mileage). Technically speaking it is a maintenance but in the grand scheme of things it's negligible. One would be changing oil in the open diff too, albeit perhaps at 100k intervals.

Has anyone done interstellar miles in a c63 ? Despite some being nigh on 10 years old , I dont see many ( any ?! ) > 100000mi cars. I guess its hard to judge if they need to rebuilt.

My comment about not hearing about diff rebuilds was not specific to C63. AMG uses the same type diff across the whole range and several generation of cars. If the diff was unreliable, it would have been spotted and phased out long time ago.

I like what you've done to your car so far and I'm looking forward to the updates. Not many C63 owners manage to go past a remap and a set of go fast stripes (figuratively speaking).

It could be that (the cost) but it could also be because they found one to be better suited than the other and stick with what works. The difference in cost of one diff over the other (£500-1000?) would make no impact on the sale of AMG cars. I think it's a case of better components here but it's only my personal opinion.

It sounds correct (the mileage). Technically speaking it is a maintenance but in the grand scheme of things it's negligible. One would be changing oil in the open diff too, albeit perhaps at 100k intervals.

My comment about not hearing about diff rebuilds was not specific to C63. AMG uses the same type diff across the whole range and several generation of cars. If the diff was unreliable, it would have been spotted and phased out long time ago.
Less power but similar, when I took my C55 to my indi and asked him to change the diff fluid (over 100K miles) he said don't bother , not worth the effort. Not an LSD but much higher mileage than any 63 I have seen mentioned here. I got him to do it anyway for peace of mind, as a lot of other work was being done at the same time. Oil was £30.00+ per litre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom